Nagoya NA-701 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

I've recently purchased two Nagoya NA-701 antenna's for my scanners. Based off of the performance of my Nagoya NA-519 that I had purchased prior to these (which is absolutely excellent), I expected these to be even better as I was under the impression they were higher quality. The specifications listed on the packaging including frequency coverage of 144 MHz and 430 MHz are the same, but the NA-701's are nearly deaf on UHF. Does anyone else have any NA-701's that can confirm or deny similar results? Super cheap antennas I have are even outperforming these. I have a feeling mine are either defective or fake. Thanks.

prcguy

I've tested two Nagoya 701s against several Nagoya 771s and all the 701s seem to work about the same as do all the 771s. I don't know if my 701s are actual Nagoya brand but I do know at least 3 of my 771s are fakes by different companies. I believe one of my 771s might be real based on the packaging and hologram on the pouch.

The 771 seem to be an upgrade from what comes on a Baofeng or Wouxun handheld but I've not compared them to any specific scanner antennas. The 771 is a noticeable improvement over a 701 on the VHF band but I forgot what the difference is on UHF if any. My testing used FieldFox analyzer generating into the Nagoya antenna on a small hand held size metal box with decoupling ferrites on coax and a pickup antenna 20ft away feeding back to the FieldFox.
prcguy

K2RNI

There are a lot of counterfeit Nagoya antennas out there.

Yeah I got a fake 701 and it's all flimsy and sucks. I remember someone on amazon said there was a way to check for real ones by looking at the plastic slip it comes in or something. Got a real 771 and it works real nice on the Baofeng. Can't use it on my new generation Alinco DJ500t for some reason. Same type of SMA but the alinco antenna seems to use a deep slightly longer threading so I'm stuck using the duck on the right side. http://i.imgur.com/ZWSBDN3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.