Yagi antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkspear

I am leaning towards getting a yagi antenna for 800mhz since that is what the systems close to me use. My question is since the yagi is directional, how do i know which direction to point it? Is there some where online I can lookup the location of towers that the county radio systems would use? Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You can click on the site here on RR and it shows the tower locations or look at the FCC license it has the addresses. I did that then used Google Earth to get the azimuth from my location then used a compass to aim it.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Yagi Antennas

I found the optimal direction for mine by hooking a small bnc/wire to the scanners and walking around pointing the antenna. I first took my old Pro96 stopped on the Control Channel frequency of the 800/700Mhz SYSTEM I was trying to battle. The highest percentage in reception shows the best direction. Then I used my WS1080 and did the same by pausing on the Control Channel frequency entered as a conventional object and monitoring for the little "T" to show solid which shows Trunked activity. Worked wonders. I imagine the "DAT" is what to look for on the newer Unidens? The best reception isn't always the best for aesthetics. I have a 55ft wire to the front Closet where the Yagi came in perfect. It's all the way through my living room thru the efficiency kitchen area and back to where I monitor by the bed. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do to win the Simulcast battle. I won.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

The best way is to experiment and find what works best. By the way, consider location, height, and direction of the antenna. Of course, it is best to work smart, so using SDR# with a $10 RTL or a signal strength meter is always good.

And, of course, what you are interested in: This FCC database will tell you the range and direction of all sites within the radius you describe. Just set it to "point radius," enter your coordinates, range in miles, and a frequency range, and you should be good to go.

Site / Market / Frequency Query

Of course, if you know what you are looking for, you can search for it specifically, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.