Firmware Update Problem -- CPU Update Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I had a heck of a time updating my CPU firmware from version 3.3 to 3.5. This post is to explain a solution that might work for you and to demonstrate the errors that might benefit from this solution. To help people who might be having this problem find this post, I want to be verbose in describing the problem.

I have a WS1080, but this should apply to at least the 1080, 1088, 1095, 1098, TRX-1, and TRX-2.

I've updated my CPU and DSP a number of times. Certainly, I experience connection issues from time to time, but I can generally accomplish a firmware update. This time, it just wasn't happening.

I first tried on my Windows 7 laptop (the most reliable for connecting to the scanner). EZ Scan could communicate adequately enough to determine the scanner firmware version and initiate the update. However, once it started, the device dropped out on the computer and then Windows popped up with "Unrecognized device." It was as if the scanner disconnected to enter the update mode and wasn't able to reestablish a proper connection.

Anyways, I was left in a standoff. The scanner was waiting on EZ Scan and EZ Scan was waiting on the scanner (eh, this happens at the store with the credit card machine all the time: It tells me waiting on the cashier, meanwhile, her console is saying it is waiting on me...).

• EZ Scan: Status: Entering update mode (Waiting for scanner)...
  • Scanner: CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB
standoff.jpg

I had to remove the batteries to get out of this screen. I tried a couple more times with the same result. I did not try to update the DSP from this computer.

Then I moved to Windows 10. Fortunately, the errors I received on that machine gave me a little more to go by. I was finally able to find the solution from threads relating to older models of the scanner.

The scanner was able to communicate with EZ Scan to set the clock, and EZ Scan determined the CPU firmware version. However, it too failed during the update process, only at a different point:

And there was a pop up window:

No Communication
No Data received from the scanner.
Please restart this process (Mode).

cpufail.jpg

The scanner display did not change from the idle connected to computer state.

I then tried to update the DSP firmware. I accomplished that without any problems. I set off to search the internet (since this was likely a scanner issue, not a driver, cable, or OS issue). I found some posts relating to the Pro-688 and PSR-800 that helped.

To solve this problem:

cpumodewindow.jpg

With the scanner off and unplugged, hold down the menu button while you plug it into the USB cable. The scanner should then launch in CPU Update Mode. You should be able to successfully upgrade the CPU Firmware through EZ Scan while the scanner is in this mode. It will look something like this:

cpuupdatemode.jpg

After I was done, I wanted to confirm the DSP upgrade, and I received this error (and the wrong Scanner DSP Version, which was interesting):

No scanner found
Unable to exit CPU Update mode. Please check to ensure that the USB Cable is connected to your computer and your scanner and try again.

firmwarecheckerror.jpg

I removed the scanner, plugged it back in, and then it successfully showed the correct DSP version.

You can also exit the CPU Update mode by pressing the menu button again, which will bring your scanner back to the "charging" screen.

I hope this helps someone. It took 2-3 hours for me to complete this upgrade. Due to the difficulty of updating the firmware, which many people face, it would be advantageous if updates were vetted and tested to limit the number of repetitive updates in a short amount of time. Perhaps a beta version system could be developed for those who want to latest features just as soon as possible, even if there might be bugs in the update.

QDP2012

Subscribed to thread for use later.

Thanks much for the detailed explanation!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Then I moved to Windows 10. Fortunately, the errors I received on that machine gave me a little more to go by. I was finally able to find the solution from threads relating to older models of the scanner.

The scanner was able to communicate with EZ Scan to set the clock, and EZ Scan determined the CPU firmware version. However, it too failed during the update process, only at a different point:

I then tried to update the DSP firmware. I accomplished that without any problems. I set off to search the internet (since this was likely a scanner issue, not a driver, cable, or OS issue). I found some posts relating to the Pro-688 and PSR-800 that helped.

I'm curious, what driver are you using and what does the device manager say the com port device is?

On multiple occasions I've experienced the SD card has been readable upon connection to the Ws-1080 & 88, but will not connect to perform CPU/DSP updates. A look at the device manager tells me that the driver has defaulted to the FTDI driver (latest and greatest http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm) but no Ws device is displayed from the Whistler supplied inf file.

You may also want to review this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
So the scanner actually functions as two devices. A mass storage device and a com device. The mass storage part is easy, and that's why it usually shows up in My Computer like a USB thumb drive. However, when they go to transfer from the software or do software updates, they run into problems.

The scanner should appear under Ports (COM & LPT) as Whistler WS1080 Serial Device and under USB controllers (usually with just a generic name).

I have to use it with driver verification off, as the post you linked to outlines. That is a must. What I describe is in addition to those steps, i.e. a different problem.

I installed the Whistler inf. My driver is Version 5.1.2600.0 with a date of 11/15/2007. Provider: Whistler. Of course, it is Not digitally signed.

No doubt there is a net loss to society due to Whistler's decision to not obtain certificate authority for their driver. Tons of people have experienced hours and hours of frustration (and many have given up) due to an oversight that would take relatively little resources to correct. But, of course, it is much more fruitful to continue to market and sell decade old hardware and software.

whistlerdriver.jpg

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I had the exact same issue with my 1088, and it was resolved the same way... which I posted here, that you may have to force the radio into CPU update mode to get it to go... and was practically lynched for suggesting such a thing. But hey, it worked for me... glad it worked for you (and for the record I didn't have to do it with the most recent update that rolled out.. for what ever reason).

SCPD

QRT
Thats because on a WHISTLER you leave the scanner OFF,then the scanner will turn itself on when you launch the software and hit update all.It will do this when the time is right.I left mine with usb plugged in,hit update all then update worked flawless.Same with Radio Shack PRO668,WS1080 WHISTLER not so with GRE PSR800,that you must press menu and power and turn the scanner On to update the GRE PSR800.I had em all I know. NOTE: If driver is incorrect it will flop and not turn the scanner on and you cant update! >install the driver. If Windows Installer service is not started it will not turn the scanner on and you cant update! >install the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.