Reception help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

robm79

Premium Subscriber
Hi , i live with in 600 feet of a cell tower and i have lost any and all reception for my scanner radios , i have a pro -162 and a pro - 95 on radio shack 800mhz antennas , i used to be able to hear anything now nothing , any ideas ?? Thanks !!

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wow, talk about a lousy neighbor ... well, you could move? 600' is close enough that I'm not even sure a notch filter would work. What bands are trying to listen to? 73, n9zas

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps a directional antenna and try to shield it from the cell site as much as possible. Or gain a new appreciation for VHF scanning.

gewecke

Banned
Exactly what Aggie said. Not a lot of choices, unless you move or you're lucky enough for it to fall over. :( 73, n9zas

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I lived near a cell tower for 6 years which blocked all 800 MHz. signals for a mile radius. I couldn't receive anything. That's how I found this site to listen to the feeds. I still drive by there occasionally and it is still the same. Another 6 years later and I'm dealing with simulcast distortion and encryption. I sure do miss the days of VHF and crystal scanners.

Voyager

I would advocate the directional antennas with a very high F:B ratio (like corner reflectors), AND a notch filter across the 869-894 MHz band. If you know the carrier, that may cut that width in about half. (one uses 869-880 plus 894-896 MHz, and the other uses 880-894 MHz)

gewecke

Banned
I would advocate the directional antennas with a very high F:B ratio (like corner reflectors), AND a notch filter across the 869-896 MHz band. If you know the carrier, that may cut that width in about half.
. I agree with a little skepticism. A LOT of front to back rejection and a PAR filter might help restore some ability to receive, but then again the signal strength from that tower at 600' is a big pill to swallow. 73, n9zas

Voyager

True, but you don't have to knock it completely out - just get it low enough that the stock filters and antenna can handle the rest. IOW, bring it down to typical levels compared to the signals you want to receive.

Think of the cell signal as the sun. Right now the OP can't see anything for the glare. The filter would be sunglasses and the antenna would be a visor. Combined, you have a chance of seeing the traffic lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.