TRX-2 in Radio Dense Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Received my TRX-2 (and TRX-1) from Ham Station earlier today. Just set up. No problems with set up.
I don't know what Whistler did, if anything, but the TRX-2 is performing very well here in radio dense LA.
Unlike the WS1095, which I had problems with desensing on any type of decent outdoor antenna, the TRX-2 is performing beautifully. Very good P25 audio quality on LAPD. Receiver is sensitive.
I am impressed with this TRX-2 and will be setting up some DMR channels in next couple of days. Many of you know my experience with the 1095 and desensing here in LA. I don't know what Whistler did, if anything, to the front end, but this TRX-2 is performing well.

Steve AA6IO

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Would it be possible for you to post a video of the TRX2 and 1095 working the same scanlists using the same antenna (or duplicate antennas in comparable locations)?

I would love to hear it for myself.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Received my TRX-2 (and TRX-1) from Ham Station earlier today. Just set up. No problems with set up.
I don't know what Whistler did, if anything, but the TRX-2 is performing very well here in radio dense LA.
Unlike the WS1095, which I had problems with desensing on any type of decent outdoor antenna, the TRX-2 is performing beautifully. Very good P25 audio quality on LAPD. Receiver is sensitive.
I am impressed with this TRX-2 and will be setting up some DMR channels in next couple of days. Many of you know my experience with the 1095 and desensing here in LA. I don't know what Whistler did, if anything, to the front end, but this TRX-2 is performing well.

P25 simulcast seem to be doing OK?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
1) AggieCon: I no longer have the 1095. Tried two of them, both were gone within 3 days because of desensing, especially in the 450-500 Mhz range. Certainly don't see that with the TRX-2. Going to be very busy for couple of days, but will try to get video up later this week.

2) Tom: To my knowledge, we don't really have true P25 simulcast around here, at least not that I listen to. I have been monitoring LAPD, where the 1080 and 1095 tended to Donald Duck a lot, not so with the TRX-2. However, never had any problem with LAPD and Unidens such as 996XT,/P2/536HP. or PSR-600/197 etc.
I think the TRX-2 is going to have to be used in one of the known simulcast difficult areas somewhere by our scanner colleagues to answer your question about simulcast.

Regards
Steve AA6IO

SCPD

QRT
Question?

Steve AA6IO

Steve what kind of External antenna and how high is it?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have several antennas here. Use my 2 meter/440 antenna (ham) up at 35 feet for a lot of VHF/UHF.
My R-8 vertical for 80-6 meters works great on CHP with coverage as far as 150 miles. Also have a 15-el 800 yagi up at 30 feet. Been using the 2/440 antenna with TRX-2 so far, but will get around to all of them eventually. My amateur radio antennas do quite nice for most VHF/UHF scanning.
I will also test the TRX-2 later on couple of indoor antennas away from computers and report results.

K2ooL de AA6IO 73s
Steve

Steve AA6IO

SCPD

QRT
Interesting .. thank you. I wish I could buy one ... but that would be a stupid thing as what I want to listen to will be encrypted in 3 days. Well it may be 4. :D

Makes buying any scanners a dumb move.

That is when the new P25 system goes live here .. don't know for sure when doomsday really is yet.

SCPD

QRT
Yeah,I think thats going to be my new base/mobile. I have the TRX-1 and plan on getting the 2. Would love to see a video of the TRX2,playing nice on VHF.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yeah,I think thats going to be my new base/mobile. I have the TRX-1 and plan on getting the 2. Would love to see a video of the TRX2,playing nice on VHF.

So now you're not just keeping your radio, but you are getting another? LOL. You kill me man.

SCPD

QRT
After the huge issues with my 1095 (and like the OP had a radio that is pretty much useless) I am very very hesitant to buy another scanner.

Like I really need another $800 boat anchor. But because we cannot buy these scanners here and have to get them from out of the country .. returning them is not an option.

But I do want to thank the OP for posting his findings. :D

lls207

Premium Subscriber
Interested in buying a TRX1. I live in 90065, Glendale, Eaglerock, LA county. I live in apartment, so I can't put a antenna on the roof. My question is will I be able to hear LAPD and surrounding police well enough to spend the money for this scanner?
Thanks,
LLS207

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Got my TRX-1 going tonight. Like TRX-2, excellent sensitivity. With Radio Shack Center Coil Antenna in my living room, LAPD is non-stop with excellent digital decoding. Many different areas including San Fernando Valley about 30 miles away with excellent quality on a portable antenna. Actually picking up stuff that 436HP with same antenna is missing.
So answer to lis207: Based on my experience here in Cerritos, I think the TRX-1 will work well for you.

Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.