TRX-1 scanner "condumb"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So, would buy one of these new TRX-1's to replace an aging PRO-106, but that case design looks horrible to hold. I am hearing there is an outer rubber around the thing that is removable? Does that in turn when removed make the scanner physically similar to the older ones?

Also, is that belt clip FIXED, or some rotating contraption that I will never sue. Read it was "rotating".

Paul

Voyager

In another thread someone said they asked Wendy at Dayton and were told it was removable.

I think the case is the same as the 800 series.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I like the case after initially struggling with it. It's to me similar to an Otterbox style mobile phone case. It's going to save a lot of these units from failure when dropped. If you remove the plastic insert on the back it makes it easier to remove. It adds bulkiness to the scanner but it is probably the best protective case I've seen for one yet. IMHO.

gbouwkamp

Premium Subscriber
The case is nice. No extra charge. I think you could drop it 6 feet onto concrete with no ill effect (not gonna try). Also gives it a firm grip. Kind of a pain to get off when inserting batteries but thats only because it fits tightly.

The belt clip is part metal and swivels.

SCPD

QRT
I like it ,it comes with two inserts,I got gray and brown,of course I used the gray. It adds a different "look" to the radio and makes it even more beefier than it already is. As far as the scanner,everything is easy to work,and sounds good,to me its loud and clear. I had the 436 and I still like the WHISTLER,if you program it all,you can see tow,frequency,PL,NAC,or DCS,the talkgroup,radio ID and name and whatever else iis there to see. I enjoy the DMR decode and it works on search!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So the actual "naked" scanner underneath is basically the same casing as the 1088, and the rubber thing is practically an added on part that is fully removable? Can someone post a picture of the naked TRX-1, unless it looks the same as a 1088?

I am thinking I like the idea of the 4 way button channel navigation over the three lines of horror on the X36HP's. The 4 way works the same as my old PRO-106 right, left right for banks, up down for channels?

Paul

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Paul the TRX-2 menu button then left and right banks up and down channels menu is the back button SEL (yes ok) Menu (back) vol knob push (yes ok some things) I have a PRO668 so it was not a big learning curve.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Bud, what do the 4 ways keys do without first pressing the menu button?

Paul

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Nothing up down right but LEFT goes right into the Favorites Banks then all work as before up and down through the channels and left and right from bank to bank. To get to the List of FAVORITES to turn on and off.
#1 Menu
#2 Up or Down or Volume Knob scrolls up and down the FAVORITES list.
#3 SEL or PUSH VOLUME KNOB to Select you FAVORITE on or off.
#4 Menu and choose SCAN with SEL or PUSH VOLUME KNOB.
and the scanner is back to scanning.

W6KRU

Nothing up down right but LEFT goes right into the Favorites Banks then all work as before up and down through the channels and left and right from bank to bank. To get to the List of FAVORITES to turn on and off.
#1 Menu
#2 Up or Down or Volume Knob scrolls up and down the FAVORITES list.
#3 SEL or PUSH VOLUME KNOB to Select you FAVORITE on or off.
#4 Menu and choose SCAN with SEL or PUSH VOLUME KNOB.
and the scanner is back to scanning.

Favorites Banks = Scanlists ?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I found in another thread that when removed from the rubber condumb, the scanner case is identical to the older existing Whistler models, so I bought one from Zip. Will shoot it out against my x36HP scanners, and if it wins, the Unidens will go up for sale on eBay, and my entire news station will make the Whistler conversion. :)

The reason I originally went with Uniden for our station was the large dial, which makes getting to a channel quick and easy. I believe with appropriate grouping of agencies and areas, the 4 way selector system and favorites lists assigned to numbers, will allow quicker "I need to go to that channel ASAP" than the new HP Unidens, which are a true PITA to navigate IMO.

Paul

D

darunimal

.... I believe with appropriate grouping of agencies and areas, the 4 way selector system and favorites lists assigned to numbers, will allow quicker "I need to go to that channel ASAP" than the new HP Unidens, which are a true PITA to navigate IMO.

Try Number Tags and use 1 Favorite List w multiple systems, then all you have to push is .s.n Eyes to get to a channel quickest.

D

darunimal

somebodys using "banks" but i can't comment about x36hp, After someone commented about x36hps, okay. Also Number tags,Favorite Lists, and Eyes are synonymous with Unidens (and he went on with the Uniden stuff long enough for a helpful corrective comment). If you want to get nit-picky there's Radio Shack and GRE mentioned too

Theres also Scansets which could be correlated to..... banks of banks, of scanlist, now we can talk about confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.