• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Police Communication Problems During Officer's Shooting Prompt Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

I read this article online a few days ago. It surely sounds like they are having some issues with their radio communications. I am thankful the officer who was shot will survive. We have lost too many police officers this year alone.

I did have to play the video back to see the type of radio the Chief was using -a BaoFeng. I know many amateur radio operators who have used them for the hobby, myself included, and they work okay for that purpose. It is my personal choice, but I will not trust my safety and my life to a BaoFeng radio.

Police Communication Problems During Officer's Shooting Prompt Investigation | NBC 10 Philadelphia

91cb84f4d2cc9f66947a405c6f6a1826.jpg

By Morgan Zalot and Cydney Long

An investigation into problems with police radio is underway in Delaware County after emergency communications ran into issues in the crucial moments after Folcroft Police Officer Chris Dorman was shot by a drug suspect on Friday.

Read more: Police Communication Problems During Officer's Shooting Prompt Investigation | NBC 10 Philadelphia
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | NBCPhiladelphia on Facebook

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL | Amateur Extra Class Operator – November Two Alpha Lima

Last edited by a moderator:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
While I don't disagree with your comments regarding trusting your life to a CCR, I would point out that the BaoFeng the Chief displayed is a "professional" quality radio, and not the truly awful ones that are flooding the market for sub-thirty dollars.

I wonder if their computers are running Win10? If so that may well be why they are having problems! In any case, it sounds on the surface as though their entire communications system was "built on the cheap..."

N2AL

While I don't disagree with your comments regarding trusting your life to a CCR, I would point out that the BaoFeng the Chief displayed is a "professional" quality radio, and not the truly awful ones that are flooding the market for sub-thirty dollars.

You are absolutely correct, it is a professional radio. I just feel terribly uncomfortable using a BaoFeng for work purposes. I understand every radio manufacture has issues from time-to-time with their products, but in my opinion the radios I have used, Kenwood and Motorola, seem to be better quality and sustainability than a BeoFeng. I respect each individual user's choice on what radio to use.

I wonder what the situation is that causes the RF interference a lot of the time with their system. While I may be incorrect, I would not think television interference or ducting would cause all the problems they have experienced.

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL | Amateur Extra Class Operator – November Two Alpha Lima

KD8DVR

Those "professional quality" Baofengs are the same boards in different cases, with a couple firmware fixes.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

nd5y

D

darunimal

Ask Lancaster County Pa what ducting from DC area Digital Television has caused!

bharvey2

I wonder if their computers are running Win10? If so that may well be why they are having problems! In any case, it sounds on the surface as though their entire communications system was "built on the cheap..."

The Baofeng radio that the Chief was holding looks just like one of the Baofeng UV82 radios that I own. While I've never had any problems with them, I wouldn't put them in the same class as a Moto or Kenwood. I paid about $30 or so each for mine. I've used mine to listen to the last of the analog police dispatch channels in my area and it works fine. Always clear. I don't think I'd want to rely on it if I were in public service though.

N2AL

It looks like Delaware Co PA uses the UHF-T band.

Delaware County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

They could get very easily have interference from TV stations when ducting is occuring.

That makes perfect sense. I did not even think they would use a frequency spectrum that high -it's not what I am used to in Tennessee. Thanks for the solid information!

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL | Amateur Extra Class Operator - November Two Alpha Lima

N2AL

The Baofeng radio that the Chief was holding looks just like one of the Baofeng UV82 radios that I own. While I've never had any problems with them, I wouldn't put them in the same class as a Moto or Kenwood. I paid about $30 or so each for mine. I've used mine to listen to the last of the analog police dispatch channels in my area and it works fine. Always clear. I don't think I'd want to rely on it if I were in public service though.

I understand. I do not know enough about the BaoFeng's to ID what model number they are. I just know it's a BaoFeng because it's on the faceplate ha ha. I would not trust my security to a BaoFeng. Kenwood, Motorola, Harris, etc., their equipment has been proven to stand up to the test of public safety use.

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL | Amateur Extra Class Operator - November Two Alpha Lima

bharvey2

Some of the UV82 models are certified for Part 90. Like many radios are certification these days, YMMV.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sad ... No Leo or any public safety responder should EVER have to use a POS chinacom piece of crap for safety of life comms, nor should they be allowed to. :( 73, n9zas

D

darunimal

Btw the Officers radio worked and it worked to fellow officers, just not to the dispatch centers radio console since the computer was down or in the process of rebooting.

And it doesn't matter which radio you are using whether it's a $3 radio or a $28000 radio, ducting can and will still occur at sunrise and sunset everyday...... Whether you trust your life with x,y, or z radio is totally subjective, and a salesmen will always play to that subjectivity!!! (and I see many people and jurisdiction have, which is sad sad sad)

Maybe the real question is what COMPUTER was being utilized, but once again a $200 computer or a $5000 computer doesn't make a difference, it 's how they were set-up and used or mis-used. A $100000 computer can still reboot on its own. Then one has to ask was the computer being used, one with ECC memory. ECC would help clear memory errors (to stop reboots), those errors usually cause a non-ECC memory computer to BSOD or reboot. Was the space air conditioned?, regularly & thoroughly maintained?, whether through vacuuming, filters, forced high psi air, or was it even properly electrically protected and separated from other electrical systems in the building, don't tell me the computer is on power strip with a rocker switch, below someone's feet.. It just sounds to me "the radio had little to do with any of this"...

Last edited:
D

darunimal

So in conclusion if a $37 million dollar top Phase 1 radio system, 45 miles away on T-Band can be crippled on a particular frequency, in Lancaster County PA, do you think a $337 million dollar Motorola System will over come the sun rising and setting, and hot and cooler temperatures, will $37k, $137k, $3 million, the answers the same no no no no and no!!!!! Fleece consumers or constituents to a fix a problem that's still there, until the get they just get a NEW frequency, is just moronic,. Delaware Co and Folcroft just have to petition the FCC for an Emergency channel not effected by a not so distant (110-130mile radius) Digital Television station.

prcguy

Nobody knows what causes their radio system to go out for short periods of time and ducting is only one of many possible reasons and probably very low on the list. Unless you have done troubleshooting on their specific system and verified its ducting beyond any doubt, its kind of silly to blame ducting over and over on every post.
prcguy

Btw the Officers radio worked and it worked to fellow officers, just not to the dispatch centers radio console since the computer was down or in the process of rebooting.

And it doesn't matter which radio you are using whether it's a $3 radio or a $28000 radio, ducting can and will still occur at sunrise and sunset everyday...... Whether you trust your life with x,y, or z radio is totally subjective, and a salesmen will always play to that subjectivity!!! (and I see many people and jurisdiction have, which is sad sad sad)

Maybe the real question is what COMPUTER was being utilized, but once again a $200 computer or a $5000 computer doesn't make a difference, it 's how they were set-up and used or mis-used. A $100000 computer can still reboot on its own. Then one has to ask was the computer being used, one with ECC memory. ECC would help clear memory errors (to stop reboots), those errors usually cause a non-ECC memory computer to BSOD or reboot. Was the space air conditioned?, regularly & thoroughly maintained?, whether through vacuuming, filters, forced high psi air, or was it even properly electrically protected and separated from other electrical systems in the building, don't tell me the computer is on power strip with a rocker switch, below someone's feet.. It just sounds to me "the radio had little to do with any of this"...

Status
Not open for further replies.