• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help identifying an APX tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi all,

I am working with some APX portable radios for the first time and am receiving a tone on one of them (APX6000 3.5) that is unfamiliar to me, and doesn't seem to match any of the described tones in the user's manual. I'm hoping someone can help me.

The tone is a very short high-pitched chirp followed by two short medium-tone beeps (medium being the same tone that keypresses make). It's doing it while the radio sits idle in front of me, receiving no transmissions, maybe once a minute or once every two minutes. It doesn't sound like the standard Moto battery chirp, and the battery has a decent charge.

The radio is a demo from the local radio shop with a rather simple codeplug - just three talkgroups on the new P25 radio system in town. Virtually no menu features or options - no scan, no encryption (though I am led to believe encryption is loaded, there's no switch settings to enable it), no RSM, etc - pretty much all the features I can access are the backlight, PTT, channel select (for those 3 groups), clock, and RSSI (and site scan with a long press).

There's also no indication on the screen of something happening, which I would expect if this audio alert was trying to tell me something (like Site Trunking, Received Individual Call, etc).

Any ideas? (and thanks in advance)

allend

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I am working with some APX portable radios for the first time and am receiving a tone on one of them (APX6000 3.5) that is unfamiliar to me, and doesn't seem to match any of the described tones in the user's manual. I'm hoping someone can help me.

The tone is a very short high-pitched chirp followed by two short medium-tone beeps (medium being the same tone that keypresses make). It's doing it while the radio sits idle in front of me, receiving no transmissions, maybe once a minute or once every two minutes. It doesn't sound like the standard Moto battery chirp, and the battery has a decent charge.

The radio is a demo from the local radio shop with a rather simple codeplug - just three talkgroups on the new P25 radio system in town. Virtually no menu features or options - no scan, no encryption (though I am led to believe encryption is loaded, there's no switch settings to enable it), no RSM, etc - pretty much all the features I can access are the backlight, PTT, channel select (for those 3 groups), clock, and RSSI (and site scan with a long press).

There's also no indication on the screen of something happening, which I would expect if this audio alert was trying to tell me something (like Site Trunking, Received Individual Call, etc).

Any ideas? (and thanks in advance)

Not sure if this radio is going to be yours or stay as a demo from the radio shop.

Sounds like you are going to need a programming cable and the APX CPS software to read the radio and dig into the codeplug to see why you are getting the beeps. Not sure anybody on RR.com is going to be-able to help unless they see the codeplug.

allend

Premium Subscriber
OH and BTW

P25.ca website has been completely shutdown for good. Something seriously went down with some users on that site with The US government and its not good news.

So getting help from that site no longer exists to get support if needed. Good Luck

Jay911

Feed Provider
OH and BTW

P25.ca website has been completely shutdown for good. Something seriously went down with some users on that site with The US government and its not good news.

So getting help from that site no longer exists to get support if needed. Good Luck

I'm familiar with that, thanks, and reading the radio is not an option, but not for lack of cables or software.

I know some of the members from there spend time here, and might be able to throw some advice my way.

epdtech

Premium Subscriber
Could be the GPS lock failure tone. I got a few APX6000 radios repaired by Motorola and they program that tone active at the repair depot.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Could be the GPS lock failure tone. I got a few APX6000 radios repaired by Motorola and they program that tone active at the repair depot.

That would make sense since I'm in the middle of a steel building right now... thanks! :D

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

+1 I am thinking this is it.
Jay: is this the tone?

https://youtu.be/HwqnLDcvF7Q

If so that is indeed the GPS Fail tone.

Now to go back in and disable this in my radio...damn that is annoying. :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yup, that be it. Thanks all!

We had a brand new regular (Non-XE) 6000 sent to us with that enabled.
It took me the better part of a day to find it and disable it as we don't use that feature.
Sometimes I wonder about the quality control coming out of Moto these days....
Tell the radio shop to look under "Radio Wide" then "Location" then disable the "GPS Fail Tone". :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It looks like the gps symbol is flashing on the display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-91, MTS 2000 800MHz, Astro Saber VHF

That is because I have GPS enabled in the radio along with the "loc" menu option which shows me the Lat/Long on the radio. NOTE: our system is not configured at this time to allow our 911 Dispatchers to use the GPS info in APX radios as we don't have a lot of APX radios in the field yet. It is being considered down the road.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.