Microsoft forced to pay $10,000 after Windows 10 began automatically installing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

"Microsoft has been forced to pay £7,500 ($10,000) in compensation to a woman after its new Windows 10 operating system automatically installed on her computer. Teri Goldstein made the claim after her computer– which previously ran on Windows 7 - became unusable after the software tried to download without her approval. Microsoft has now said it will roll out an update that will change the alerts it uses for Windows 10 to prevent complaints such as this from happening again..." -- DailyMail.co.uk

Microsoft forced to pay $10,000 after Windows 10 began automatically installing on woman's computer -- DailyMail.co.uk

prcguy

I would love to see Microsoft pay each and every user $10,000 that went through the unwanted and forced upgrade. If our vehicles crashed as often as Windows, we would all be dead.....
prcguy

"Microsoft has been forced to pay £7,500 ($10,000) in compensation to a woman after its new Windows 10 operating system automatically installed on her computer. Teri Goldstein made the claim after her computer– which previously ran on Windows 7 - became unusable after the software tried to download without her approval. Microsoft has now said it will roll out an update that will change the alerts it uses for Windows 10 to prevent complaints such as this from happening again..." -- DailyMail.co.uk

Microsoft forced to pay $10,000 after Windows 10 began automatically installing on woman's computer -- DailyMail.co.uk

QDP2012

I would love to see Microsoft pay each and every user $10,000 that went through the unwanted and forced upgrade.

It would be nice if it were not just $10K to every person, but $10K for every such computer that a person owns/maintains with which that person had to contend. For those who own/manage multiple computers, that amount of money could approach $50-100K, and go a long way toward paying off major debt, like school loans, car loans, house loans, health costs, etc.

And, maybe, just maybe, such a penalty would help prevent any such nonsense in the future.

coolderb

Uhmmmm my Iphone automatically installed a new version of the operating system. What number should I call to collect my $10k?

QDP2012

Uhmmmm my Iphone automatically installed a new version of the operating system. What number should I call to collect my $10k?

Sorry, article is not related to Apple products. Article relates to Windows 10 and how Win7/8 users were not being given a clear way to refuse the Win10 update, and the resulting damage an unwanted, forced, update can do to a person's livelihood, etc.

(Other threads discuss in detail the specific methods MS used, like making the "X/Close" button on the "Win 10 suggestion box" install the unwanted update instead of closing/avoiding the update. But, since this thread is about the court's judgment and monetary penalty against MS, I'll let that conversation remain/continue in the other threads.)

slicerwizard

It would be nice if it were not just $10K to every person, but $10K for every such computer that a person owns/maintains with which that person had to contend. For those who own/manage multiple computers, that amount of money could approach $50-100K, and go a long way toward paying off major debt, like school loans, car loans, house loans, health costs, etc.
The 10k was to pay her actual costs (new PC, etc.)

You don't get to tell the court you'd like, um, $50k, no - wait, $100k, yeah, $100k! to pay off all your loans, present and future...

CapStar362

The 10k was to pay her actual costs (new PC, etc.)

You don't get to tell the court you'd like, um, $50k, no - wait, $100k, yeah, $100k! to pay off all your loans, present and future...

you missed that one by a Mount Everest level, that how far it flew over your head.

he said, how about 10K for EACH COMPUTER a single particular person may own if they own multiple computers and have to deal with this on EACH COMPUTER.

coolderb

Interesting, are you sure it updated without your consent? They sometimes download the update in the background but are supposed to ask permission to install.
prcguy

I was kidding, but Apple tries to trick users into triggering the update. Very annoying. At least with the Windows 10 upgrade nag it can be disabled via some registry edits. Not the case with Apple's IOS.

slicerwizard

you missed that one by a Mount Everest level, that how far it flew over your head.

he said, how about 10K for EACH COMPUTER a single particular person may own if they own multiple computers and have to deal with this on EACH COMPUTER.
I missed nothing. The 10k was awarded for her actual costs - a replacement PC and lost business profits. Suggesting 10k for for everyone for every computer that updated to Win10 is ridiculous, since computers don't cost 10k and a Win10 "upgrade" doesn't force us to buy new PCs, nor to commit ~8k worth of man hours (per PC) to the problem. The suggestion makes as much sense as picking a random dollar amount out of one's butt.

QDP2012

I missed nothing. The 10k was awarded for her actual costs - a replacement PC and lost business profits. Suggesting 10k for for everyone for every computer that updated to Win10 is ridiculous, since computers don't cost 10k and a Win10 "upgrade" doesn't force us to buy new PCs, nor to commit ~8k worth of man hours (per PC) to the problem. The suggestion makes as much sense as picking a random dollar amount out of one's butt.

A review of the logic involved...
The court determined that the complainant's efforts to deal with the Win10 problem were valued at $10K, for dealing with the problem(s) on her ONE computer.

Some other people in this world have responsibilities for dealing with the Win10 problem on multiple computers.

If the court penalized MS $10K for the complainant's ONE computer, then it should be easy to ask whether or not the court could also penalize MS $10K for EACH computer similarly effected, regardless of who the computers' owner is.

If the complainant had to deal with not only her notebook computer, but also had the same problem with a desktop computer, she might have been awarded $20K.

So, the same consideration could be extended to anyone who has to deal with the Win10 mess on multiple computers.​
The above logic seems straight forward.

If you disagree with the court's decision, that's a different thing.

But, my initial post of this idea was simply a posit, a simple question for thought, not an attempt to stir up contention or debate. So, I will leave it at that. No harm, no foul.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

slicerwizard

So, the same consideration could be extended to anyone who has to deal with the Win10 mess on multiple computers.
That's not how damages are awarded.

What if she had only spent $1k for a tech to straighten everything out - say in one evening. No new PC, no business downtime. So now the court (fairly) awards her $1k. So now that's the payout for the rest of us? What happened to our $10k?

By your logic, we should get what this particular plaintiff got. But she only sued because her expenses were high. If she had "normal" expenses, she wouldn't have sued. You're suggesting that all of us, who really have little to no losses, should get $10k in damages per PC, even though we can't show anywhere near such damages. That's not how damages are awarded. Nor should they be.

QDP2012

That's not how damages are awarded.

What if she had only spent $1k for a tech to straighten everything out - say in one evening. No new PC, no business downtime. So now the court (fairly) awards her $1k. So now that's the payout for the rest of us? What happened to our $10k?

By your logic, we should get what this particular plaintiff got. But she only sued because her expenses were high. If she had "normal" expenses, she wouldn't have sued. You're suggesting that all of us, who really have little to no losses, should get $10k in damages per PC, even though we can't show anywhere near such damages. That's not how damages are awarded. Nor should they be.

Your logic above is clear and sound. Although I too am familiar with legal procedure as you describe above, that perspective was not my intended focal-point in my original post. However, instead of attempting any additional clarification on the grammar-related point and of a (possibly over-generalized) suggestion in my earliest post, I'm moving on.

Respectfully,

Last edited:

Voyager

I was kidding, but Apple tries to trick users into triggering the update. Very annoying. At least with the Windows 10 upgrade nag it can be disabled via some registry edits. Not the case with Apple's IOS.

They both do the same thing:

Would you like to upgrade NOW or TONIGHT? (some choice, huh?)

Apple bugs you about the upgrade every day until you upgrade (or they do it for you).

prcguy

I've never seen an Apple device upgrade without permission and you can turn off any upgrade notice. The only thing my Macbook ever did that annoyed me is when I boot up Windoz in the background, its unusable for 30min while it installs a ton of updates, then has to reboot. Gawd I hate that. I only run Windoz occasionally on that machine so it doesn't sniff for upgrades until I need it, then Windoz lets me down on that machine too.
prcguy

They both do the same thing:

Would you like to upgrade NOW or TONIGHT? (some choice, huh?)

Apple bugs you about the upgrade every day until you upgrade (or they do it for you).

mikepdx

"Microsoft has been forced to pay £7,500 ($10,000)
in compensation to a woman...

Forced?

$10K to Microsnot is pocket change to you and I.
and I mean copper-clad pennies.

They'll probably appeal.
Billy's lawyers have to do something to justify their jobs...

They'll keep appealing until the woman's broke from legal fees.
God knows they don't want to set a precedent.

Last edited:

CapStar362

Forced?

$10K to Microsnot is pocket change to you and I.
and I mean copper-clad pennies.

They'll probably appeal.
Billy's lawyers have to do something to justify their jobs...

They'll keep appealing until the woman's broke from legal fees.
God knows they don't want to set a precedent.

it helps to read the article

Relying on her device to run her travel agency in Sausalito, California, Goldstein went to the Microsoft's support team seeking answers, The Seattle Times reports.
But after having no success and her computer still being unresponsive, she sued the company for the price of a new computer and the loss of earnings. the report says.
However, Microsoft dropped its appeal in an attempt to avoid further legal costs and Ms Goldstein was awarded the five-figure sum.

there was no appeal, they paid her and moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.