uniden 436 HP fed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumbum

I see uniden closed their forum only for the privileged, is that because alot of people feel like me,, ive had my HP436 for 6 months now and hate it worse every day,, when i got it upgrading from my BCD396T to get phase 2 on a system in my town that switched over I was intrigued by the claims of enter zip code , use GPS and go anywhere and hear it all. that is defiantly not the case.;I dont even know where to begin with this junk that uniden put out im so frustrated with . I will start from the beginning and hopeful; express my dissatisfaction with this garbage radio in steps, ( so much to the point i think they should pay me extra to take it back).first thing i notice when i turned it on out of the package and entered my zip code thinking this is so cool no programming, these guys are on top of it. wrong!!!.I have my 396 which i programmed rolling in background and the 436 picks up. "roger" then keeps scanning while my 396 set on a delay hears whole conversation.. by the time the 436 scans through its over.. i think to my self no problem,, theses guys at Uniden are on top of their stuff i will set all the channels on a delay.. wrong! cant do that, so now i have to manually set my stuff up 'BTW ended up using the butel to delay because sentinel made it a project.so i have this done now after doing it myself. next thing i do is buy the GPS , while im waiting for it to come in i go to my county thats phase 2. well i hear jack,, after an extensive thread on WTF is the problem i figure it out. first you cant scan anything else or it wont lock DAT, second you have to have Squelch low as possible to get a signal because sensitivity is crap. and had to set the band plan witch im not sure helped anyway. so still have to have my 396T to do the rest of what the 436 cant handle. then My GPS arrives., i go to outer banks, cant get crap whole trip until i realize 4800 baud serial ( yep 1989) was what it handled. while im on that i would say it is on 12 to 14 year old usb technology.. and it will not charge the battery while listening to it, it steadily drops, slow but does drop , it should be charging ,, and the questions when you plug it in,, geez,.. so after all this i thought i learned a little about this scanner and went on another trip to holden beach nc using the almost worthless GPS along with the negative delay time so you get one or 2 words and scan.,oh yea BTW there also should be a Global ID search option too. any way back to the subject. I get home and go back to my programmed favorite i did myself and load. now EVERYTHING scans like molasses, one system takes 15 min to scan through, nothing set on a delay , have no idea what the problem is, didn't change a thing, all i know is i hate this scanner and would like to unload it on some poor unsuspecting soul..Or burn it ,, i will look for a P25 phase 2 scanner from another company and never buy anything from Uniden again.. me and UPman have already been around on my 396T and his conclusion is im illiterate. look back on my posts..I have more complaints about it but have typed enough, Now im stuck with a $400 piece of dog excrement that i absolutely cant stand

D

darunimal

Thats great, as far as I can see your Owners Manual is useless to you, which is really a shame, there so much good about this scanner. But as you've post with this one and the last one you had, it seems as if you never want to read the Manual, and then demand the scanner works and program like you do. I don't ever think the scanner had a chance in your hands, because not only did you Not give it a chance, but your disdain was to high, to ever let an inkling of intelligence overcome your contrarian obstinate attitude.

Is the scanner perfect no, do you have the resources at your finger tips yes, do you like or even stand to use them NO. With your eyes red with blood you can demand all you want, but you'll only ever see with RED. Send me a PM with your Favorite Lists, I will maximize your scanning experience, but you have to not except the world and then be mad if I don't deliver the world to you. One more thing, the BCD325P2 will help you renew your BCD396t experience in a close enough package you just might love scanning again, but idk, but at least you can use Freescan and use what you've got programmed.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/

Drumbum

I expected to be blamed for the downfalls of the scanner, tell me what page in the manual says that after using GPS on a trip that all of a sudden it scans so slow it's useless, I can manually program a scanner faster than using software so I don't need to be told how it's my fault for not reading the manual that it is changing by itself for one thing , the rest of my problems are also not due to me being an idiot,

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Drumbum

Another thing I have no problem with my 396T because I did it myself ,, if it did phase 2 I would not be posting because I would still be able to listen without headache

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Doing the zipcode enters several frequencies to scan (takes longer to scan) If you are that unhappy with your scanner (put it on the classified section for sale. If it is still new looking and has all the original parts that came with it you could get $375 to $400 if you add the GPS $425 to $450 (with free shipping). Then you could buy you a BCD325P2 $420 shipped or a Whistler TRX-1 for around $550 shipped in the USA.
You can use Sentinel and program the scanner JUST LIKE YOU DID YOUR 396T and not use the Database at all (I find that harder).

Drumbum

I see no one reads my post and gets it,, yes I understand what zip code does, I programmed a favorite which has changed by itself, to scan slow as crap , as far as the zip code traveling , no delay so. You can't actually listen to what's going on it goes through it too fast, yes someone give me some money you can have it, and I will put on Craigslist or EBay, no problem with me,

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thats great, as far as I can see your Owners Manual is useless to you, which is really a shame, there so much good about this scanner. But as you've post with this one and the last one you had, it seems as if you never want to read the Manual, and then demand the scanner works and program like you do. I don't ever think the scanner had a chance in your hands, because not only did you Not give it a chance, but your disdain was to high, to ever let an inkling of intelligence overcome your contrarian obstinate attitude.

I couldn't have said it better.

The new scanner will allow you to hear virtually everything you're allowed to hear.

Switch to decaf and then take a look at the manual. (And, we do accept apologies.)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I see no one reads my post and gets it,, yes I understand what zip code does, I programmed a favorite which has changed by itself, to scan slow as crap , as far as the zip code traveling , no delay so. You can't actually listen to what's going on it goes through it too fast, yes someone give me some money you can have it, and I will put on Craigslist or EBay, no problem with me,

The favorite list does not change by it's self. We read your post as good as you read the USER MANUAL. The scanner is just like a computer it does only what it is told to do.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm having trouble figuring out your concern. In one place you say it scans slow as crap, but the next sentence it says you it goes too fast.

Other than perhaps the squelch being set right at threshold, there is no way to cause the scanner to scan faster or slower. It's X channels per second for conventional and about 2 seconds per trunked site, (if there are no "proper" channel grants).

Also after using a GPS device, once I've disconnected the GPS device, I'd re-enter the zip code for where I am presently located. I'm thinking the scanner will retain the last location reported by the GPS. No problem if your last GPS location was New York and you are still in New York. But if you go to Baltimore, the scanner might think it is still in New York and scan for New York things.

D

darunimal

I agree your not an idiot, but you are mad as hell. I get it, I get what your saying, I've had those moments plenty of times, but once I recognize the angers blurring my vision, I give it a day, a week, a month, what ever it takes, then I slowly roll back into fixing the task at hand. If not everything would look like the Tazmanian Devil just tore through.

By the way, it sounds like you need to format your card, then maybeif if that doesn't solve it, a new card. The offer still stand Private Message me and I can try to maximize your scanning experience. If not I'll trade you even up for my BCD325P2, either way PM me!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I see uniden closed their forum only for the privileged,

What are you talking about here? When did Uniden close a forum to only the privileged?

You're not making any sense with the wild accusations.

bg_nashville

People did read your post, they simply have a different opinion of the 436. I have been in the hobby since 1982 and the 436 is my all-time favorite scanner. The Pro-96, 396XT, and Pro-106 are all great scanners but in my mind the 436 blows them all away.

If you try to monitor the full database with a wide range in a large metro area using the GPS, the 436 will in fact take a long time to scan through every system. In the Nashville metro area, it is impossible to "hear it all" there are simply too many systems and too much audio traffic. What would be the point in trying to do so?

Let's say I am traveling from Nashville to Atlanta. I would look at the map and to see what major cities are along the way and using Sentinel, only pull down into a favorites list the systems that I think might be of interest to me. I lookup the zip codes of a few cities (for example, Chattanooga) along the way and pre-program those into the location settings, then set the favorite list(s) to use location control. As I am driving down the road I can manually switch the location to the next pre-programmed location.

The above process takes about 10 minutes.

Drumbum

Tried to post can post on any other brands forum but on uniden I get you do not have access permission to this page,,

garys

Premium Subscriber
Try writing your posts coherently and you'll likely get a better response.

Drumbum

So it's boiling down to I'm the idiot and the scanner is fine on this thread as it was back in 2006 or so with the downfalls of the 396T, in the end it's a company like uniden that's going to loose at least one guys money because they didn't field test their product or they thought they were superior engineers that no average person would ever have a problem,, when in fact I have a friend that knows. Nothing about anything scanning sold his 436 because he could not pick anything up because he just used the zip method, I actually programmed and added all the common sense delays and quick keyed. What I wanted, works almost as good as the 396 untill I used the GPS for a week and now it's useless

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Tried to post can post on any other brands forum but on uniden I get you do not have access permission to this page,,

Did you happen to read this at the top of the Uniden forums page?

Uniden Forums - Forums for the discussion of all Uniden scanning radios and receivers. The main forum is reserved for Official Uniden Announcements. Please choose a sub-forum for any other posts.
As others are urging you, slow down, read and think before posting.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
So the hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people who bought the scanner and like it are the idiots. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

W6KRU

Yes, access to posting on the main Uniden forum is restricted. You have to pick the appropriate subforum. You can post to the subforums, like the one you currently posting on?

Status
Not open for further replies.