Yaesu System Fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

I just purchased a Yaesu FTM-3200DR and made my first C4FM contact!.

I have a technical question about the radio and System Fusion. Is there a way to program the radio so that I can remain in digital mode and users on analog, non-digital radios can still hear me go through the repeater in digital mode while I hear them in analog mode?

Basically, if I switch to digital mode in my current setup, only those with digital radios can hear me in digital mode. On analog radios, my signal is raw digital data. I would like the repeater to decode the data and send it out to all radios in digital voice mode so that analog user will hear me in digital mode, if that's possible?

RBMTS

Analog users will not be able to hear you if you are in digital mode. They will need a digital Fusion radio to decode the digital signal. However your radio has what is called "AMS" mode (automatic mode selection) which will automatically switch your radio from digital to analog or vice versa depending on who is using the repeater. Personally I find AMS a bit cumbersome and I prefer to slave either analog or digital mode during my conversations.

Hope this helps you.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Wolverine,

Randy is correct, there is no way to do what you describe with just your radio, but if you're talking through a Fusion repeater (DR-1X), then the owner/operator of that repeater can choose to set it in AMS/Fixed FM mode, which will decode whatever comes in the receive side (C4FM or FM) and convert it to FM on the repeater output. That essentially lets a user with a FM radio hear your C4FM signal. Unfortunately, it won't work the other direction (without changing the repeater's mode from the front panel). You would need to run your radio in AMS (Automatic Mode Select), so that after your first C4FM transmission, the other ham's reply in FM would switch your radio to FM mode.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a digital repeater, since after the first transmission, it reverts to a conventional FM repeater, for everybody. I run our DR-1X in Fixed C4FM/Fixed C4FM (full-time digital), since we have a decent number of Fusion users in the local area. Other clubs and owners have chosen to take the AMS/Fixed FM route to supposedly ease the transition from FM to digital. In my narrow-minded head, I see that as prolonging the egg sucking.

I might be a bit cranky.

73, Greg
N9PBD

I just purchased a Yaesu FTM-3200DR and made my first C4FM contact!.

I have a technical question about the radio and System Fusion. Is there a way to program the radio so that I can remain in digital mode and users on analog, non-digital radios can still hear me go through the repeater in digital mode while I hear them in analog mode?

Basically, if I switch to digital mode in my current setup, only those with digital radios can hear me in digital mode. On analog radios, my signal is raw digital data. I would like the repeater to decode the data and send it out to all radios in digital voice mode so that analog user will hear me in digital mode, if that's possible?

wolverine

Thanks for the info. Once the prices come down, I think more people well switch. This mobile radio is a great radio for the money. If only Yaesu would come out with a handheld radio in this price range.

We currently have 4 System Fusion repeaters.

beischel

I bought a 3200 at Dayton to try out Fusion. Hardly anyone to talk to. Lots of Fusion repeaters, but most are using them for FM mode.

Around here, most people are using DStar or DMR and DMR has exploded with the advent of these cheap Chinese handhelds. I don't really know why anyone would want to switch to Fusion as I cannot tell any difference in the audio between DMR and Fusion.

Too many digital modes for voice have hams all spread out. Manufacturers disgust me in that they all should have settled on one mode to build and promote. As it is now, looks like all three could lose out to DMR.

The other baffling thing is that a group of part-time amateurs appear to have been able to create a multi digital mode radio that does Fusion, DMR, DStar, P25 and who knows what else, yet the Big Three cannot pull this off.

JMHO

Duffy
Amateur Radio Station WB8NUT - Home

N5TWB

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a digital repeater, since after the first transmission, it reverts to a conventional FM repeater, for everybody. I run our DR-1X in Fixed C4FM/Fixed C4FM (full-time digital), since we have a decent number of Fusion users in the local area. Other clubs and owners have chosen to take the AMS/Fixed FM route to supposedly ease the transition from FM to digital. In my narrow-minded head, I see that as prolonging the egg sucking.

I might be a bit cranky.

73, Greg
N9PBD

The Tulsa Amateur Radio Club (I'm the president) has one C4FM repeater on the air now in the AMS/Fixed FM mode but has two other DR-1X repeaters on order. I think that with the installation of those two, along with another area club that has a DR-1X, that the time has come to put one of them into the full-time digital mode. If we do it at the site I'd like to, that would mean the site would offer DMR (UHF), D-Star (UHF), and C4FM (either band with one mixed, one fixed).

I'm good with cranky - I look forward to having "THE" digital site for Tulsa amateur radio. I expect some crankiness from the local ham community when one of the repeaters goes fixed C4FM.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
... I expect some crankiness from the local ham community when one of the repeaters goes fixed C4FM.

Never saw the point in running mixed mode at all. It kinda defeats the purpose of putting up a digital radio.

I see even less point of running a fusion repeater digital in/analogue out. How stupid is that, running a repeater where you pipe the digital input out on analogue...

People always claim running dual mode lets everyone enjoy it... BS... It allows analogue users to reduce the enjoyment of the digital users.

Where I live there are like 2 dozen FM repeater, that the vast majority of them sit unused simply IDing at their programmed intervals.

If one repeater goes digital only, there are so many others for people to use that don't/won't buy a digital capable radio.

We already have the three of the five common digital voice modes where I live, DStar, DMR and Fusion. None of them are mixed mode.

frazpo

Greetings From SW Mo

The Tulsa Amateur Radio Club (I'm the president) has one C4FM repeater on the air now in the AMS/Fixed FM mode but has two other DR-1X repeaters on order. I think that with the installation of those two, along with another area club that has a DR-1X, that the time has come to put one of them into the full-time digital mode. If we do it at the site I'd like to, that would mean the site would offer DMR (UHF), D-Star (UHF), and C4FM (either band with one mixed, one fixed).

I'm good with cranky - I look forward to having "THE" digital site for Tulsa amateur radio. I expect some crankiness from the local ham community when one of the repeaters goes fixed C4FM.

We need to continue our linked system down that way. Great for storm reports and such.
We have fusion repeater here in Joplin. Unsure what mode it runs in.

Last edited:

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We have 4 digital mixed mode fusion repeaters as well was one TRBO..and i maintain them all..fusion is a every good mode..i have a 991 and ft1dr and they work good on fusion..will be upgrading to DR-2Xs...dont bash fusion i love the mode and the Full time Wires X node up..

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.