New MilAir Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthradios

I have a couple BCT-15x scanners that I use only for VHF/UHF military air monitoring.

I am thinking of getting a couple new scanner and wonder from the standpoint of sensitivity is there anything on the market that is better. BCT-15x has been out for sometime and wonder if there's something that's been updated.

I have zero, repeat zero interest in FM or Public Safety monitoring. I am 100% MilAir only.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Uniden Bc 780xlt is STILL a winner in the Mil Air choices! I bought mine years ago when it first came on the market, and it still rocks! :) 73, n9zas

rbm

The Uniden scanners have served me well for MilAir monitoring.

There are times I have 10 to 15 scanning different band segments at the same time and I log them all with multiple sessions of ScanRec Pro.

Here are a few of my MilAir Uniden USD files for searching the VHF and UHF frequencies.
(zipped format)

You can import them into FreeSCAN to program most of the Uniden DMA scanners.

Rich

Edit: I should have mentioned that the first two digits in each file name is the System Quick Key for that file.

Attachments

• MilAir.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
I use a pair of BC780s and a BC796D for Milair. They are both far superior in sensitivity to the newer x96XT and x36HP series radios....

Newer is not always better for Milair...

Thanks,

Bill

gewecke

Banned
I use a pair of BC780s and a BC796D for Milair. They are both far superior in sensitivity to the newer x96XT and x36HP series radios....

Newer is not always better for Milair...

Thanks,

Bill
+1 on this! :). 73, n9zas

mike619

The Uniden scanners have served me well for MilAir monitoring.

There are times I have 10 to 15 scanning different band segments at the same time and I log them all with multiple sessions of ScanRec Pro.

Here are a few of my MilAir Uniden USD files for searching the VHF and UHF frequencies.
(zipped format)

You can import them into FreeSCAN to program most of the Uniden DMA scanners.

Rich

Edit: I should have mentioned that the first two digits in each file name is the System Quick Key for that file.

It will not work in my freescan it will not allow me to load them once I unzipped them.

rbm

It will not work in my freescan it will not allow me to load them once I unzipped them.

I zipped them with 7-Zip.
Once they're unzipped, open FreeSCAN and then....
File
Import
From UASD

Select any file (or ALL files) to import.

I just downloaded the file, unzipped it, and then imported them into FreeSCAN to make sure nothing was corrupted.
They imported without any problem.

Rich

FreeSCAN Import from UASD"

mike619

I zipped them with 7-Zip.
Once they're unzipped, open FreeSCAN and then....
File
Import
From UASD

Select any file (or ALL files) to import.

I just downloaded the file, unzipped it, and then imported them into FreeSCAN to make sure nothing was corrupted.
They imported without any problem.

Rich

FreeSCAN Import from UASD"

Thanks I figured it out good stuff.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Is there any difference between setting up a fav list with those freqs, vs, setting a custom search?

D

DaveNF2G

I started monitoring milair with a Grove converter connected to a Bearcat 300. I then got a Regency MX-7000, which scanner horribly slowly. Next was a PRO-43, which I think is still my favorite for the purpose, but when it died of old age, I moved to a PRO-97, which also performed well. Now my milair is mixed in with other transportation freqs in my BCD996XT.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Thought I was the only one on here old enough to have used a Grove converter! I nowuse BC780''s (x3) and all the 996 series, 780's work best

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
LOL I have my original Pro-43 I used for MILAIR. Needed to replace the keypad so I bought several before they went out of stock at RS. I had a Regency MX-5000 and a RS PRO-2004, both long gone. These days I use the venerable BC-780XLT and a Yupiteru 7100 which I think is comparable to the PRO-43 if not better.

gewecke

Banned
Thought I was the only one on here old enough to have used a Grove converter! I nowuse BC780''s (x3) and all the 996 series, 780's work best
. +1 on this. :wink: 73, n9zas

dollar

Premium Subscriber
Antenna for mil air monitoring

I have the BC125AT and also find it great for Mil Air monitoring. What antenna do you use for best results?

Tech792

Grove Scanverter was the correct name if I remember correctly......I had one too when I was 16.

stealthradios

I have the BC125AT and also find it great for Mil Air monitoring. What antenna do you use for best results?

For an omni directional I use a basic Discone antenna. Does very well. That is outside mounted at 30'.

In my attic I have a Create Log Periodic. While they're expensive they are very impressive for the MilAir UHF and VHF comms. I can receive the ground side of approach and tower from 40 miles away. Not bad for an antenna in the attic. My attic is about 24' above ground level. It can hear stuff that the discone cant. Here is the one I am using: https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...toview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

prcguy

The PRO-43 is very good for air/mil air but the Yupiteru 7100 is the best I've ever used plus its really good for portable UHF satcom. Its very sensitive and the audio sounds closer to an aircraft radio instead of the mushy audio most scanners have in AM mode.
prcguy

LOL I have my original Pro-43 I used for MILAIR. Needed to replace the keypad so I bought several before they went out of stock at RS. I had a Regency MX-5000 and a RS PRO-2004, both long gone. These days I use the venerable BC-780XLT and a Yupiteru 7100 which I think is comparable to the PRO-43 if not better.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
PRCGUY, I completely agree with you. I love the Yupi. I am dealing with the memory cap issue now. Once I get that fixed it will be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.