TRX-2 looks like it fits my requirements, but . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyomingmedic

I'm on the hunt for a remote mountable mobile scanner capable of decoding phase 2 as well as DMR. The TRX-2 looks like a good possibility.

However, I am not finding the info I need regarding programming. When the HP1 came out, it became drastically apparent how poor the database was for our area. Essentially, it was worthless without being able to add your own stuff.

And that is my question about the TRX-2. Am I able to add my own trunking systems, talkgroups, and similar? There are a number of systems I listen to which are not listed in the RR database.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well with out people that report these things they never get added to the database. The Database was built with the help of local scanner people that report FREQUENCY TONE P25 DMR TRUNKING SYSTEM ECT. If things are wrong or missing REPORT THEM that way it works for everybody. Whistler and Uniden both share the same database.

wyomingmedic

My job limits what I can report. So until others find them, I have no way of getting the data to RR. And since there are essentially no other scanner users in the area, it just doesn't get found.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That is how the database works and both Uniden and Whistler use the same database. I find it just as easy to build my own scan list on either. I also program all the radios for my department and help out with the county trunking system. Also all the Radio Data is Public Information.

wyomingmedic

That is how the database works and both Uniden and Whistler use the same database. I find it just as easy to build my own scan list on either. I also program all the radios for my department and help out with the county trunking system. Also all the Radio Data is Public Information.

I understand how the database works. Not a problem there. Was just curious if it could be bypassed.

The data may be "public", but the bosses don't care. Government doesn't flex.

Looks like the Whistler isn't gonna work for me.

Thanks

W6KRU

Making assumptions can get you in trouble but I am going to assume that the TRX-2 is like my WS-1080 on this item and say that Yes, you can add frequencies, TGs, etc. that aren't in the RR DB very easily in EZScan. You can just enter them manually or paste them from the clipboard.

wyomingmedic

You could always create an alternate account or have someone else post it for you. I feel your pain though.

It doesn't work that way out here. I am, quite literally, the only one with the information other than the bosses. Single tech, large desolate areas. If the data gets posted, there is no doubt where it came from.

I'll just stick with Uniden.

Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have added several systems to my TRX-2 that were not in the DATABASE by using the software that came with the scanner. I travel sometime over 300 miles round trip just to map a system that is not in the database or to confirm the data is correct. Trust me I do not think you are the only one that knows. Unless they are operating a Unlicensed Radio System.

troymail

Silent Key
Curious -- both Whistler and Uniden allow manual programming and adding things that aren't in the database. What is making you believe that you need a Uniden radio?

In fact, at this time, only Whistler provides fully functional programming software to include the latest thing - DMR/MotoTRBO. Uniden requires manual programming via the radio keypad (for now) because they haven't provided software (unless you buy a 3rd party product that is still in development).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Wyoming Medic,

The biggest fault of the Whistler scanners is their locked down software and the dependence on the RR database. I, too, do mostly my own programming. I am frustrated regularly and hours of my time are wasted due to the nature of the EZ Scan software. While it is possible to import, the function is buggy. And it's not "EZ." Perhaps for a couple of entries or one scanlist, it is not bad. But once you start doing large scale programming, it really slows you down. I pretty much gave up on the RR database once they wouldn't remove frequencies that are defunct and used absurd alpha tags instead of what I submitted (and the whole thing about RR being the reason I struggle with my information on my scanner -- I decided it was asinine to manually copy information out of my scanner/software to update to the database that is the cause of my information being inaccessible).

Importantly, you can't export YOUR data back out of EZ Scan.

Here are some posts on the topic with more information:

The official answer: http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...ware/224288-ez-scan-sd-software-question.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/332832-merging-v-scanner-folders-ez-scan.html
Start here, many posts in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/333413-whistler-trx-1-trx-2-a-2.html#post2577476

Feel free to email me through the forum for more info. Also, you can download the 1095 software from the Whistler Group website, which is essentially the same as the TRX-2 software. Give it a spin.

Comp-100

It doesn't work that way out here. I am, quite literally, the only one with the information other than the bosses. Single tech, large desolate areas. If the data gets posted, there is no doubt where it came from.

I'll just stick with Uniden.

Thanks

Delusional? When the do appear i wonder who they will blame :)
If the comms are sensitive they should be encrypted, if not encrypted then there are many listeners.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It's an interesting world... The data is public: You and I can request it no problem. However, an employee can't tell us to go request something specific. On the other hand, the leaders/managers should make the information public without a request, but they apparently have not. Furthermore, they can punish employees for releasing it (because of some completely arbitrary decision that it should be concealed), and it is unlikely that radio talkgroups would earn whistleblower protection, so the OP could lose his job.

Basically, someone should start requesting the information for large desolate areas of Wyoming if you want the information in the database. Or keep it for yourself.

The point is that not everyone is dependent upon RadioReference to scan. Indeed, if the servers failed today, many of us would continue on. I am surprised Whistler doesn't brand their scanners with "RadioReference.com."

D

darunimal

The data base has improved since the release of the HP-1, how much depends on users.

There is NOT a Scanner out there that can NOT be programmed by hand, albeit deliriously long if you want more than one system.

Wyoming Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Callsigns for FCC FRN: 0004536264 (WYOMING, STATE OF)
As per what your area does or doesn't allow you to post, its a frequency that the FCC has to allow and all the info maybe in that FCC database, Federal trumps States and Countys, but its foolish to think 1 user can't figure it out and relatively quickly at that. You not allowed to disseminate information of a personal private nature/matter, the airwaves are a PUBLIC matter, as they say, don't get it twisted(, or don't let them twist you). There is no secret sauce to your County's Radio Comms that's proprietary in nature or even private......

Attachments

• EOCwyomingalbanylaramiefrequenciesdmr.jpg
    EOCwyomingalbanylaramiefrequenciesdmr.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 510
D

darunimal

The point is that not everyone is dependent upon RadioReference to scan. Indeed, if the servers failed today, many of us would continue on. I am surprised Whistler doesn't brand their scanners with "RadioReference.com."

Thats pretty unneccessarily unsupportive of a website, with users, that have helped clue you in and that you are currently a member of??? As well as being pretty shortsighted, did this website do something to you we don't know about????

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
That should more accurately say the "RadioReference Database." No doubt, a forum is a great place to learn.

I don't understand why you think what I said is a slight at RR. I sure hope the serves don't go down. I'm saying perhaps Whistler and RR should more formally co-brand the product. The product is depended upon the RR DB.

However, some of us don't get our information for the RR DB only, and it is incredibly frustrating not being able to access and manipulate your own data. No need to be sensitive.

W6KRU

The Whistler and Uniden HP scanners work the way a large number of the users on this board asked for on the wish list threads from years ago. They all thought that scanners should have additional memory and have the entire RR database in it.

Whistler and Uniden made it happen eventually and had to meet some restrictions imposed by the owner of the RR database. Those restrictions included locking down the software that interfaced with the RR DB to prevent the exporting of the DB info.

Once you add your information to the DB info it becomes locked down as well. I think most of us understand this limitation and accept it in exchange for the convenience offered. If you don't accept the conditions set forth by the owner of the RR DB then you can simply buy one of the scanners that don't contain the RR DB.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
If you don't accept the conditions set forth by the owner of the RR DB then you can simply buy one of the scanners that don't contain the RR DB.

Exactly my point.

You might also notice that I am a paying supporter of this website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.