Can't monitor P25 and EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
I just got this scanner this week and I'm having some problems with it. I have had a BCD996XT for a few years and I monitor Ohio MARCS-IP, a conventional VHF frequency and a neighboring county's EDACS system. I uploaded everything from my 996xt to freescan and then to my 396xt so it should all be exactly the same. All that I'm hearing on the 396 is the conventional VHF. I hear everything on my 996xt so I'm not sure what the problem is. Using a radio shack 800 antenna and it is showing 2-3 bars on the main MARCS site for my area but I'm not hearing anything. Any ideas?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Are the systems in the scanner? Press Menu, Program Systems, and see if they are in the scanner. You may have forgot to check the appropriate boxes in FreeScan when you programmed it.

I have a 996 and a 396 and program them with the same FreeScan file and I monitor MARCS-IP and Pickaway County EDACS with no problems.

You don't have them locked out or the quick keys disabled do you?

Also the BCD396XT stock antenna isn't that good on 760-870 MHz. An antenna such as the Remtronix (Radio Shack) 800 MHz. or any other 800 MHz. antenna will make a world of difference.

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
The systems are in and it scans the sites. The Pleasant Valley site is closest to me and it shows 3 bars. Circleville was also showing 3 bars when I was in Pickaway County last night. It seems to be scanning but is not stopping when there is traffic on those sites. I was hearing traffic from OSHP and Ross County Sheriff on my 996 when I was checking the 396. The talk groups are all unlocked. I am using the RS 800 antenna.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it'll make any difference or not, but you might try changing the system type to "p25 (digital xt)" to see if it'll help. I don't know what the difference is from the default "mot type 2/P25", but it might be worth a try.

Jeff.

phask

Premium Subscriber
It is set on P25 digital xt. Maybe I need to try mot type 2 p25?

No - P25 is what it is . (that's how it shows in Freescan -

Do you use feescan? It imports just fine for me. Also set some up manually the same way way back when O 1st got it.

Also on MARCS IP - using a 992 and a 325.

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I'm using free scan. I have no problems with my 996xt. The only things I can see possible is some setting is wrong or there is a problem with the scanner. I used the exact same file to program the 396 as I used for my 996 so I'm guessing the scanner has a problem.

Premium Subscriber
I just spoke with uniden customer service and they think there is a problem with the scanner itself. I'll be sending it in. Thanks for the replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I see no reason the file would not transfer correctly - but with that said. I'd create a new one.

I've loaded 996P2 into an older 996xt with no issues - but never did the reverse. If you hold on a TG does it show anything? Does it do the finding control channel?

It's not THAT hard to program one site a coupe TG's and have it as ID search just to check as well.

Premium Subscriber
I manually programmed a site and heard nothing. My 996xt was receiving a lot of traffic from the same site, nothing on the 396. It was showing 3 bars from the site but no traffic was heard.

Uniden confirmed the same file from my 996xt wpuld work on the 396xt.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
why dont you zip up your freescan file and upload it here. that way we can look at it and see if there is anything wrong.

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I've tried search. Nothing.

Uniden told me that it the file is working on my 996xt, it will work on the 396xt. I don't think there is much use in uploading it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.