Repair of Radio Shack scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

freema22

Hi,
I have had a week of bade decisions. First, I bought a used PRO-668 for a good price on eBay. Second, I threw away the original packaging before I fully tested everything about the radio. The seller offered a $25 refund, but is balking at accepting the radio back without the proper packaging.

I discovered that the USB connector appeared to be broken. It had an intermittent connection, and seemed loose. So, without cracking open the radio, I am pretty sure that it needs to be replaced.

I contacted RS, and of course, they don't repair their products, and suggested I post something here. I haven't heard back from Whistler yet. Does anyone have a company that they would recommend for this type of repair? Some have suggested talking to one of my local ham clubs.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I have had a week of bade decisions. First, I bought a used PRO-668 for a good price on eBay. Second, I threw away the original packaging before I fully tested everything about the radio. The seller offered a $25 refund, but is balking at accepting the radio back without the proper packaging.

I discovered that the USB connector appeared to be broken. It had an intermittent connection, and seemed loose. So, without cracking open the radio, I am pretty sure that it needs to replace.

I contacted RS, and of course, they don't repair their products, and suggested I post something here. I haven't heard back from Whistler yet. Does anyone have a company that they would recommend for this type of repair? Some have suggested talking to one of my local ham clubs.

Any ideas?

Check with the Uniden repair site:

Uniden now repairs other brand model scanners. Service fee: $69.95.

Repairs to other brands is subject to parts availability. Most parts are common parts and are easily repairable, but case parts and custom electronic parts are typically non-repairable. Note that the flat-rate terms outlined above also apply to other-brand scanners.
Also, check with these folks:

Home Page

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi,

I discovered that the USB connector appeared to be broken. It had an intermittent connection, and seemed loose. So, without cracking open the radio, I am pretty sure that it needs to be replaced.

Any ideas?
. Suggestion, first of all if you used Paypal for payment, they might be able to help you get a refund. Second of all, DON'T buy any more crap from Fleabay!! That site seems to attract lowlifes with junk to unload on unsuspecting buyers .... like you. :( 73,n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Btw, Freema you could have gotten a pro 668 right here on radio reference in our classified ads if you looked? There's one for only $200 from a legitimate seller! :wink: 73, n9zas

trp2525

...Second of all, DON'T buy any more crap from Fleabay!! That site seems to attract lowlifes with junk to unload on unsuspecting buyers .... like you. :( 73,n9zas

I think that most (but not all) sellers on eBay are reputable and try to do right by their customers because they are concerned about receiving negative feedback. If you find a seller with a very high positive feedback rating I believe that you are fairly safe. YMMV

I was able to purchase a brand-new PRO-668 for $180 on eBay and it was shipped out the same day. I received it a few days later and it was in factory-sealed packaging just like you would find in the store. That was over a year ago and the scanner works perfectly to this day.

On the other hand I purchased a vintage RCA 4-channel crystal-controlled pocket scanner on eBay that was advertised as "brand-new in-the-box" but when it arrived it was used and didn't even work. I contacted the seller and she told me that she was very sorry and that she was refunding my entire purchase price including shipping and told me to just keep the scanner. The refund promptly arrived and I was able to keep the scanner as a nice vintage display/museum piece.

gewecke

Banned
I think that most (but not all) sellers on eBay are reputable and try to do right by their customers because they are concerned about receiving negative feedback. If you find a seller with a very high positive feedback rating I believe that you are fairly safe. YMMV

I was able to purchase a brand-new PRO-668 for $180 on eBay and it was shipped out the same day. I received it a few days later and it was in factory-sealed packaging just like you would find in the store. That was over a year ago and the scanner works perfectly to this day.

On the other hand I purchased a vintage RCA 4-channel crystal-controlled pocket scanner on eBay that was advertised as "brand-new in-the-box" but when it arrived it was used and didn't even work. I contacted the seller and she told me that she was very sorry and that she was refunding my entire purchase price including shipping and told me to just keep the scanner. The refund promptly arrived and I was able to keep the scanner as a nice vintage display/museum piece.
. Wow, you're two for two, that's awsome. :). 73, n9zas

trp2525

...I haven't heard back from Whistler yet...

Whistler has stated that they will repair ONLY Whistler brand scanners. They told me that they won't repair the Radio Shack scanners even though they manufacture them for Radio Shack.

gewecke

Banned
Whistler has stated that they will repair ONLY Whistler brand scanners. They told me that they won't repair the Radio Shack scanners even though they manufacture them for Radio Shack.

Sad... :roll: 73, n9zas

freema22

That stinks. I am thinking that I am going to push for a refund. Who cares if it doesn't have the original packaging? It is broken and without a repair, of little value to anyone.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Try G&G Communications
7825 Black Street Rd.
LeRoy, N.Y 14482-9725
Phone 585-768-8151
gerry@fcomradio.com
They have done two repairs for me at reasonable prices and quick turn around.
Good luck Ed

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
That stinks. I am thinking that I am going to push for a refund. Who cares if it doesn't have the original packaging? It is broken and without a repair, of little value to anyone.

Hello. I am interested in your thread and would like to ask what did you end up doing. I have a friend in Atlanta that has a Pro-668 and the usb port is broke and was curious to know if you got yours fixed and/or what you ended up doing.

Thank you.

gewecke

Banned
Don't Buy Used or New (Claimed) High End Electronics From E-Bay or Flea-Bay. Period!
+1. Or at least not until ebay does some damage control on its reputation! Deep sixing the scammers and junk peddlers should be #1! :). 73, n9zas

AC9BX

I have good luck with ebay. I've been burned a couple of times. You have to read the description very carefully and check seller feedback. If anything about the listing doesn't feel right don't bid or buy. When I sell on ebay I try to create a listing that sounds like what I'd like to hear from a seller. I offer details, some conversation, good pictures, that sort of thing. If it works so great why are you selling it? "I'm selling because I upgraded and no longer need this one." ... or whatever. Hold out for your price, hold out for what seems like a good seller. Remember it's just a flea market. You buy something from a yard sale or Craigslist and it could be complete junk too.

dkf435

The bigger picture is the quality of junk Whistler is dumping on us, if they cannot secure a USB port to a board and solder it, what other faults do they have?

This garbage where Whistler is good enough to make something for Radio Shack but becomes garbage once it gets to Radio Shack and non supported and non fixable is BS.

Support neither one we are being used.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.