• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex 2200 won't transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calfd15

I have a vertex 2200 mobile radio in my crane at work. This radio receives great I can hear everyone talking loud and clear. They are talking on either Motorola mag one portables or Kenwood portables we have some of both. When I try to talk into the mic on the vertex mobile the light on the unit lights up like it is transmitting and a little light on the Motorola portables lights up like it is receiving. But nothing comes through. The light on the portables lights up green though and when another portable talks the light lights up orange. I have tried a different mic on the vertex and same thing. Is this a programing issue or something completely different. Thanks for your help.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Good thinking on trying another mike, so that probably eliminates the mike or mike
circuitry. You may have a failed Q1009 TX output IC. You would have to get a power meter to
do a test of the transmit output power to confirm. Depending on the model, a VHF VX-2200
will put out up to 45 watts; a UHF one up to 25 watts. Do a search in this forum on the VX-2200
as there is a post from a Vertex Technician on how to check if the Q1009 IC is bad. Not uncommon
for these to fail. If the test confirms that the radio is putting out the proper power, then there's
something wrong in the TX audio circuitry.
It the radio is still under warranty send it back to Vertex for repair. If out of warranty it would
probably be cheaper to get another radio, unless you have skill to replace the IC or know someone
who will do it for you, if indeed the Q1009 is bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.