Delco Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DsJb6170

I think the whole system needs to be upgraded or changed myself its always sounding low or you dont hear any tones being sent out the only strong signal that comes in is Ridley 7 and 102-A

Septa3371CSX1

I think the whole system needs to be upgraded or changed myself its always sounding low or you dont hear any tones being sent out the only strong signal that comes in is Ridley 7 and 102-A

Sounds like you're referring to the 46.48 dispatch channel. The signal on it has gone down as of late and I often have trouble receiving it while mobile with a rubber duck. This channel has transmitters on several tower sites across the county however selective paging is used and only the towers associated with the units being dispatched will be active for any given dispatch (this is determined by the CAD).

It would be nice for the county to move towards VHF High for voice paging purposes. They already simulcast 46.48 on the Upper Darby dispatch channel (154.415) which works good for the east side of the county. If they were to use that channel for the paging they would need more transmitters and also a PL to cut out the adjacent channel interference from Cecil County's EDACS CC on 154.4075 (the bleed over was pretty strong this morning).

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is the UHF simulcast on 508.2375 still active? Haven't heard any activity on it as of late while in Delco. I agree that VHF high with a PL (like Bucks) would be ideal so I can monitor dispatch clearly from Montco and beyond

TRob55

508.2375 still works, I wish that they would put in on more then one tower. They need to keep it in UHF so we can keep it our portables and if people choose to get a Minitor VI they still can. Plus you can get a 5 channel one and put your fire channel and police channel in it.

phillydjdan

Well, with the old man gone maybe some minor improvements like this will be in the works. I can confirm that within a week of his resignation there was new carpet installed in the radio room...

ocguard

How can a county like DelCo not be considering a move toward a TRS? Are their UHF-T licenses susceptible to the mandatory vacating of that spectrum coming in the next several years?? Time to start jumping on some 700mhz pairs!

I know a transition to a TRS can be a touch subject for people in love with their conventional system, but it seems inevitable. Eventually the county's equipment will begin to fail and replacing it with conventional analog is pretty irresponsible!

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Delco

I kinda feel like that Delco will lean towards a trbo trunked system as the price of the radios will be less strainful on the fire company budgets. A 700-800 mhz system would cost the county a lot of money and companies would not be able to afford the radios that are needed to outfit their people with radios

ocguard

I kinda feel like that Delco will lean towards a trbo trunked system as the price of the radios will be less strainful on the fire company budgets. A 700-800 mhz system would cost the county a lot of money and companies would not be able to afford the radios that are needed to outfit their people with radios

I'm not sure if it's a big a deal now as it once was, but DelCo is in the Philly UASI, and would likely miss out on some decent federal $ help if they chose something other than P25, which is the only acceptable digital voice format when it comes to FEMA's definition of interoperability.

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Ocgaurd ,

I agree but this county hasn't always been in line with anywhere else that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Septa3371CSX1

I don't see them going for a DMR or NXDN system. Any new system would likely be P25 where more grant money would be awarded. I'd also recommend the county strongly look into using Chester County's P25 system core as a cost savings measure. The county could pay for whatever upgrades are needed to Chesco's system core to enable them to use it and build their system off of it much like the ICORRS system in western PA.

phillydjdan

I have learned from a friend up at fireboard that the new head has been chosen and he comes from a firefighting background in Upper Darby. While you are correct that Delco lacks the funds what you probably don't know is that pretty much every other county has said the same thing but ended up with P25 anyway. With federal funding in the form of grants and such that sort of project would be a little but easier to do. I know in the case of the Bucks County system the fire companies were offered interest free financing or something like that to help make the plunge a little less painful. The fact that DTV interference is an issue within T band I would highly suspect any change would involve a band change. If they go up to 700/800 the feds will likely make them go to Phase II in order to get the funding. But we shall see!

ocguard

I have learned from a friend up at fireboard that the new head has been chosen and he comes from a firefighting background in Upper Darby. While you are correct that Delco lacks the funds what you probably don't know is that pretty much every other county has said the same thing but ended up with P25 anyway. With federal funding in the form of grants and such that sort of project would be a little but easier to do. I know in the case of the Bucks County system the fire companies were offered interest free financing or something like that to help make the plunge a little less painful. The fact that DTV interference is an issue within T band I would highly suspect any change would involve a band change. If they go up to 700/800 the feds will likely make them go to Phase II in order to get the funding. But we shall see!

All of the current P25 system vendors will only sell Phase 2 ready systems, and MOST end-user terminal radios are Phase 2 ready, too. And with 700/800mhz spectrum being so sparkly available in metro regions, phase 2 is a must to keep system capacity where is needs to be.

Never ceases to drive me nuts that metro regions with multiple adjacent P28 7/800mhz systems don't regionalize to save money on system cores, maximize coverage, capacity, and redundancy, and enable literal seamless interoperability. The Baltimore metro is in the same boat. Frustrating that everyone needs their own toy and can't share.

Status
Not open for further replies.