• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS at the 4th of July Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
This year I decided to volunteer my day to helping provide communications support for the City of Evanston's (Illinois) annual 4th of July Parade and evening fireworks down at the lakefront. I live in NW Indiana so it was a long drive for me, but it was worth the trip! Evanston has the distinction of having had the first and longest running annual Parade in Illinois, and draws entries from all around the nation.

North Shore Emergency Association (NSEA) has been doing this project since around 1966. My station was as the primary net control operator from the green/white lawn chair on the two base radios. I also passed along the necessary information to the gentleman to my left to enter into the laptop for logging purposes. This is a terrific example of GMRS being used for a good purpose!

In the late afternoon, we relocated to the lakeshore and I again provide net control as well as operating the FM transmitter that broadcast the synchronized music and "firing cues" for the mortars in the firing pit. I had a blast, but it was a very L O N G day since I left home at 0700 CST on Monday and didn't get home until 0005 CST on Tuesday. :cool:

The command tent was set up just outside the safety area, so I had the closest view I've ever had of the spectacular fireworks as they burst almost directly overhead! :D

OFMIow.jpg

The parade is ready to start!

9eIVb1.jpg

K2RNI

hehe it says "Radio HQ" in chalk on the ground :3 This is pretty cool I like this, cool seeing GMRS used for such. I only used for on-site BBQ communications and to down the street this 4th. Good frequencies, works nicely. What frequency did you guys use and did you leverage a repeater?

Hatchett

Honest opinion.

Where you put your yagi antennas was a little overdoing it. ("little" being an understatement)
A little too “in your face”

There had to be a better place to put them, if they was needed at all.

You shifted from being there to support the activities to showboating your own activities. It made you look like one of those “radio commandos” that makes me cringe so much.

If I was organizing comms for a function like that, and I tried an antenna placement like that, the boss would have used the antenna poll as a club to beat me over the head with.

Don’t get me wrong…
If you want to be there to “show your engagement” in public activities as a “radio operator” So be it. I am OK with that. Your placement for the table is about the right balance. But when you start sticking your equipment out in front of the parade, to the point of literally being “in the road”. That is that “one step to far” in my opinion.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
We used 462.675 simplex for the setup (since everyone was within a few blocks of control), and our 462.700 repeater since it's located in Evanston. We had our 462.675 repeater as a fallback in case it was needed.

Hence the two yagi antennas. The longer one was pointed towards the assembly area, and the shorter one towards the repeater.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Honest opinion.

Where you put your yagi antennas was a little overdoing it. ("little" being an understatement)
A little too “in your face”

There had to be a better place to put them, if they was needed at all.
They were needed (see above reply on usage). Where would have been a better place? On top of the gas pumps perhaps?

Also, we could not block the sidewalk at all, so that was the only reasonable place to put them. We wore "red hats" provided by the parade organizers in order to make ourselves readily identifiable both to the parade marshals and the police.

We had "tag" communicators with each parade marshal, as well as at each intersection along the route to keep groups moving along smoothly, and one operator tagged to the police communications to more easily call for assistance if needed. We also had four operators on bicycles who rode alongside, and a scooter mobile for the same purpose.

There was only one major incident during the parade when the driver of the Boy Scout float somehow managed to strike a pedestrian as he was exiting the street at the end of the parade. Fortunately the fellow wasn't badly hurt.

The Shell station has always been the official start of the parade route, so that's where the control station had to be.

This is the same procedure that's been followed for the past forty-five years. I don't foresee it changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

KB0VWG

Good Job Bill
Looks like that was a whole lot of fun also and hard work, when I lived in Colorado I would participate in the Hot air Ballon glows in launches and other activities they had during the year.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

K2RNI

They were needed (see above reply on usage). Where would have been a better place? On top of the gas pumps perhaps?

Also, we could not block the sidewalk at all, so that was the only reasonable place to put them. We wore "red hats" provided by the parade organizers in order to make ourselves readily identifiable both to the parade marshals and the police.

We had "tag" communicators with each parade marshal, as well as at each intersection along the route to keep groups moving along smoothly, and one operator tagged to the police communications to more easily call for assistance if needed. We also had four operators on bicycles who rode alongside, and a scooter mobile for the same purpose.

There was only one major incident during the parade when the driver of the Boy Scout float somehow managed to strike a pedestrian as he was exiting the street at the end of the parade. Fortunately the fellow wasn't badly hurt.

The Shell station has always been the official start of the parade route, so that's where the control station had to be.

This is the same procedure that's been followed for the past forty-five years. I don't foresee it changing anytime soon.

He's just being a grump don't worry about it lol it's a very nice set up there, everyone has their own different needs and goals for their own situations.

K2RNI

We used 462.675 simplex for the setup (since everyone was within a few blocks of control), and our 462.700 repeater since it's located in Evanston. We had our 462.675 repeater as a fallback in case it was needed.

Hence the two yagi antennas. The longer one was pointed towards the assembly area, and the shorter one towards the repeater.

Very cool I thought the double yagis was pretty neat there. Thanks for the setup info, would love for someone to get a working repeater around my area too someday.

What kind of coax were you using to feed the antennas? Did it have much line loss on 460?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
What kind of coax were you using to feed the antennas? Did it have much line loss on 460?
The coax is RG-214/U as it has very low loss. Twenty feet @5.1dBm/100' is only about 1.02 dBm loss at 462/467 MHz.
See: Coaxial Cable Attenuation Chart

Both radios are Motorola; one a GM300 and the other an CDM1250. Both were running 5 watts as that was all that was needed for the mission.

We also provided 10 MT1000 radios for those who either don't have suitable equipment, or forgot to program their radios. :) There is a 10 unit gang charger on the front left side of the table in the picture, just in front of the tool box. We didn't need the umbrellas this year as it was thankfully cool and somewhat overcast this year. I was told that last year it was very hot and sunny all day long.

I'm going to suggest that next year we place some signs advising folks to keep back a few feet from the antennas (even though there's no danger at all) simply to help keep the view clear. It's difficult to help coordinate when the operators can't see! :D

Last edited:

prcguy

For coax loss you don't use an "m" as in dBm, that implies you are measuring power in miliwatts. You only need to state dB. Otherwise the Yagi's do seem a little overkill.
prcguy

The coax is RG-214/U as it has very low loss. Twenty feet @5.1dBm/100' is only about 1.02 dBm loss at 462/467 MHz.

Both radios are Motorola; one a GM300 and the other an CDM1250. Both were running 5 watts as that was all that was needed for the mission.

We also provided 10 MT1000 radios for those who either don't have suitable equipment, or forgot to program their radios. :) There is a 10 unit gang charger on the front left side of the table in the picture, just in front of the tool box. We didn't need the umbrellas this year as it was thankfully cool and somewhat overcast this year. I was told that last year it was very hot and sunny all day long.

I'm going to suggest that next year we place some signs advising folks to keep back a few feet from the antennas (even though there's no danger at all) simply to help keep the view clear. It's difficult to help coordinate when the operators can't see! :D

byndhlptom

Yagi's

I would think that you would want them a little higher for a couple of reasons...

1- Get the RF above the crowd (RF exposure to parade watchers and improve range)

2- Above the grasp of passers by (think kids)

With a taller pole (8-10 ft), you could have just put it in front of the table, not had to place it so far away

otherwise, well done!

byndhlptom

View

"I'm going to suggest that next year we place some signs advising folks to keep back a few feet from the antennas (even though there's no danger at all) simply to help keep the view clear. It's difficult to help coordinate when the operators can't see!"

Just borrow a flatbed trailer to put your command table on, gets you above the crowd.

$.02

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
You shifted from being there to support the activities to showboating your own activities. It made you look like one of those “radio commandos” that makes me cringe so much.

We're all just little boys at heart. No matter if we are 12 or 55. Did that setup look kinda silly? Sure. But so what? Live your life for YOU. Who cares what people think.

Op, I hope you had a blast. Thank you for sharing with us.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nice job Bill! We did something similar years ago to provide comms between team captains and court refs for the Gus Macker basketball tournaments at a local high school. We applied for and received an exception to our Gmrs repeater license for event use. We were fortunate enough to have a classroom with full view of most of the courts and a 30' tower permanently mounted right outside. We did this annually for about 6 years Using a M gm300 repeater and a uhf ringo. :). 73, n9zas

Rred

All considered, I just would not feel comfortable setting up transmitters, or any electrical equipment, THAT close to gasoline pumps and potential gas fumes. And I'd bet that if a fire marshal saw it, they'd have something pretty succinct to say about it as well.

I might just be paranoid about fire but having seen the way gasoline can be a prankster, and having been to burn wards, where they induce medical comas because even morphine cannot stop the pain, I try to make Real Damn Sure I'm not going to be caught up in that.

Just one man's opinion.

SCPD

QRT
It looks like you had a blast helping with the parade, Bill-- and isn't that what community activities are all about?.. :) Super!
I like your very original beam antenna mount... I am going going to 'borrow' that design...( another :) )

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Gas fumes and electrical equipment...

"... THAT close to gasoline pumps and potential gas fumes." Think about vehicles coming and going, at the pumps, turning off and on the ignition switches. Same situation; no more dangerous.

edit: thanks Bill for sharing, it does sound like you all had fun, and that's what it's about.

K2RNI

Awesome pretty sweet setup there, so that yagi gain more than made up for the minimal losses and than some haha I like it. High performance, not over kill :p Lucky you getting some commercial HTs and a gang charger btw. I would kill just to borrow one of those for a weekend :3

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
All considered, I just would not feel comfortable setting up transmitters, or any electrical equipment, THAT close to gasoline pumps and potential gas fumes. And I'd bet that if a fire marshal saw it, they'd have something pretty succinct to say about it as well.

Oh, you mean these fire guys?
FGrgpR.jpg

The pumps at the station were shut down during the parade, so there was no danger at all.

Seriously folks, this wasn't the first parade project. NSEA has been doing this for FORTY-FIVE years! We have very close relationships with all of the town officials, including the Mayor, the Chief of Police and the Fire Chief.

Now, that said I am taking onboard all of the suggestions being made and will make suggestions for next year's project. I especially like the idea of using a longer mast and keeping the antennas directly in front of the table and out of the street.

Keep in mind also that this was my first year with NSEA, so I actually didn't have any responsibility for the setup at all. I was just the net control operator for the two events. I'll hopefully be in a position to effect some changes next year.

As for being "obvious" that was actually the main point! We'd not be very effective in relaying information if the Parade Marshals couldn't identify us! If wearing a red hat with the word RADIO in big white letters offends your tender sense of decorum, tough beans...

...at least we don't wear "uniforms" and fancy patches, so cut us some slack! :D

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
"... THAT close to gasoline pumps and potential gas fumes." Think about vehicles coming and going, at the pumps, turning off and on the ignition switches. Same situation; no more dangerous.

edit: thanks Bill for sharing, it does sound like you all had fun, and that's what it's about.

Although the store remained open, during the assembly and parade, the power to the pumps was turned off per the Fire Marshal's orders.

And yes, I had a lot of fun, even though I really didn't get to watch too much of the parade! I kept my camera nearby though, and managed to blind-snap a few pictures of some of the more interesting entries, as there was no time for fancy composition! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.