Radio Room - audio solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdiesel1

I found a few threads on the subject, but nothing consisting of large quantities. As the radio collection has grown I've ended up with many that are simply stacked on top of each other, which renders the already marginal speaker even less acceptable.

My dilemma is, how to better deal with 15+ audio sources? I've found several small 4-channel audio mixers, but just about all devices larger than that are true board mixers, which don't fit the table and simply not necessary IMO.

So aside from just spreading all the radios out and relying on the built in speakers, what are people with larger quantities doing?

- Side note. At the end of the day, I head into the radio room and turn down the volume on all the radios, which can take a while. Which also means in the AM I have to do the opposite, and correctly set the volume. Some master mixer might allow for a single turn to complete this process.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Someone here posted about a sound card 12 channel stereo thats 24 inputs to your pc and you can config where they go to speaker 1 speaker 2 speaker 3 speaker 4 if I remember correct the PC card was like $300.00

cmdrwill

You may have to use audio isolation transformers for that many radios due to ground loops.

BTFire21

I ran into the same problem so I bought 2 Zetron Model 27 which work great. Simple to mute and adjust volume.

Attachments

• 20160706_172527.jpg
    20160706_172527.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 304

bharvey2

While I haven't used one for the application you mentioned, you might want to look at a "line mixer". A decent sized one will fit in a 1U space and can control volume on a dozen or more devices.

bharvey2

You may need to do some impedance and level matching before driving a line mixer from a speaker (a line out should be fine) I wish you success!

Status
Not open for further replies.