Pro 651 RSSI meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

Anyone have any idea why my RSSI meter stays on 5 full bars? I've tried adjusting the RSSI threshold with now luck. Scanner seems to receive fine, just the RSSI shows full. Doesn't blink like it normally does? Thanks in advance.

sjgostovich

I'm having the opposite problem, too much on my RSSI meter!? Not sure what the deal is, I'll keep playing with it.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You just need to input the correct numbers into the radio for each signal bar and they are listed at post#9 in that link.

sjgostovich

I tried to configure it several different ways both manually and with WIN500. No luck. I'm scanning conventional channels so I shouldn't get anything on the RSSI until a transmission is received. I'm not to sure what the problem is?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
What firmware do you have? During startup of the radio, press the 3 key, It will be 2.6, 2.8 or 2.9.
If 2.6 will use a different set of numbers then what is shown in post 9 at the link.
If 2.8 or 2.9 you 'would' use the number in post 9 at the link.

If 2.6 as I suspect you have, use these, it also listed in post #7 at the link-
bar 1 370
bar 2 450
bar 3 520
bar 4 610
bar 5 680

See if there is an update for WIN500, I know the software I use psredit500 had an update to adjust for the different signal bars.

sjgostovich

It is 2.6. I entered the RSSI #'s as posted and it just shows 4 bars now? I upped the RSSI threshold entry by 30 on each step and it didn't do anything. I'm stumped. I'll update the firmware and see it that makes a difference.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Do you get this behavior when you are out and about? Sometimes you might be near a transmitter or interference source makes it seem like you have a strong signal at all times.

sjgostovich

I thought that might be it as well as I was out of town when it acted up. I've tried in in areas around the house were there is no RFI that would overload it. I put the attenuator on as well, nothing. I'm scanning my local VHF analog conventional stuff and the RSSI meter shows a solid 5 bars. When it dose get an RX the "S" shows up like normal. I've got a Whistler 1040 but I don't want to clone it if it is some sort of firmware issue. I did the firmware update to 2.9 as well, nothing changed.

Last edited:

sjgostovich

Just an update, per G&G Communications, the problem is a broken "internal variable resistor control". Just waiting for the part to make the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.