Monitoring ISP from multiple towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffryan76

Feed Provider
I want to listen to ISP in my district. Do I only need to input one control channel from one site to listen to the whole district or multiple control channels from all the sites in the district?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, you can just use the control channel for the closest site or the ones you travel near. With the short range of the 800 system, it'd be a waste to program all the distant sites. Not all traffic from every agency will be passed on to every site. For example, if I'm monitoring the Versailles site, I might hear 100% of Ripley, 75% of the traffic from neighboring Dearborn county and 5% from Jefferson county. If I switched over to the Lawrenceburg site I might hear 100% from Dearborn and 75% from Ripley and 0% from Jefferson.

ISP will generally be carried on all the sites within the district, but it will also depend on what site you're monitoring. On the old system "OPS-2" wasn't repeated across all sites. Just like the regional mutual aid groups (other than MA1), ma2, 3,.... were only carried locally. I'm guessing the new system will be similar.

Jeff.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
SWMA's will be statewide, with half dedicated mainly North, half South. The RMA's are more territorial. And now we also have Zone Active Event TG's. these are for interop within North, and South and will be confined usage to the respective zones.

The new layering is as follows: RMA's for localized Interop. ZAE's for interop for the entire Zone (North/South). And SWMA's for the whole system. As for how the old system was supposed to work, it certainly didn't have everyone as isolated as most seem to think on the ISP TG's. How else can one hear ISP D-33 on the Hortonville (Hamilton County) site? (Yes it is logged and I will take the time to dig through and paste it here when I get that time and am not running 12 to 15 hours a day every day.) The ISP Dispatch TG's on the P25 will be able to be heard anywhere in the state that an user is affiliated and has those TG's active in the radios. The OPs TG's are strapped in most radios for regional only, except for the SWAT and DES guys whose radios will be able to access ANY TROOP OPS, from ANYWHERE, as well as being able to use their own TG's on ANY SITE.

Now on the topic of progging in multiple sites for coverage - If you are not ever going to be mobile scanning, and only want to hear ISP closest to your location, then only program in the 1 site you receive the best and is closest to you. If you are going to be mobile in an small area, or want to get complete coverage for your area, then program in the 4 or so closest sites. For myself, I receive 8 sites from my home. 3 amazingly, 3 very good most of the time, and 2 in the pretty good to good range most of the time. 3 of these sites are simulcasts, the rest stand alones, with one more of an afterthought since it rarely carries anything other than IDOC.

ffryan76

Feed Provider
Thank you both for the responses.
This won't be mobile.
So if I'm in District 45 and want to listen to District 43 I won't be able too? Or can I hear 43 from the district 45 sites if I have the TG of 43 entered?

Steve73

SWMA's will be statewide, with half dedicated mainly North, half South. The RMA's are more territorial. And now we also have Zone Active Event TG's. these are for interop within North, and South and will be confined usage to the respective zones.

The new layering is as follows: RMA's for localized Interop. ZAE's for interop for the entire Zone (North/South). And SWMA's for the whole system. As for how the old system was supposed to work, it certainly didn't have everyone as isolated as most seem to think on the ISP TG's. How else can one hear ISP D-33 on the Hortonville (Hamilton County) site? (Yes it is logged and I will take the time to dig through and paste it here when I get that time and am not running 12 to 15 hours a day every day.) The ISP Dispatch TG's on the P25 will be able to be heard anywhere in the state that an user is affiliated and has those TG's active in the radios. The OPs TG's are strapped in most radios for regional only, except for the SWAT and DES guys whose radios will be able to access ANY TROOP OPS, from ANYWHERE, as well as being able to use their own TG's on ANY SITE.

Now on the topic of progging in multiple sites for coverage - If you are not ever going to be mobile scanning, and only want to hear ISP closest to your location, then only program in the 1 site you receive the best and is closest to you. If you are going to be mobile in an small area, or want to get complete coverage for your area, then program in the 4 or so closest sites. For myself, I receive 8 sites from my home. 3 amazingly, 3 very good most of the time, and 2 in the pretty good to good range most of the time. 3 of these sites are simulcasts, the rest stand alones, with one more of an afterthought since it rarely carries anything other than IDOC.

I don't think all the ISP dispatch talkgroups will affiliate on every tower. I had the opportunity to test a little. District 42 Dispatch will not affiliate on the Floyd tower only Henryville and Charlestown here in my area.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for the responses.
This won't be mobile.
So if I'm in District 45 and want to listen to District 43 I won't be able too? Or can I hear 43 from the district 45 sites if I have the TG of 43 entered?

I don't think you'll have much luck with monitoring ISP District 43, any longer. Now, if you mean D33, your would best bet would be programming the closest site to you and district 33. If you can receive a site that's within district 33, that would be even better. From what I've seen around here, you'll need a good outdoor antenna, possibly even a directional one, to reliably receive much beyond 20-30 miles. This isn't set in stone, though, the particular site setup and terrain will also play a big part.

If you're in Washington County, I'd probably try programming the Georgia and Brownstown sites along with the Washington Co. sites. If you're down in Clark, Floyd or Harrison counties, I think you'll be hard pressed to reach a site within district 33. In that case you could try the washington county sites, but they may or may not carry the traffic from D33 all of the time. Basically, if you can't receive a site from within D33, try for the next closest one to that district.

Jeff

Steve73

There is no ISP 43 anymore. It was incorporated into District 42 as was 45. There are still Mutual Aid talkgroups in "the old 43" that can still be monitored as well as the local agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.