APPCO 25 phase II in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
I heard that some Wythe county agencies have gone to digital phase II. Anyone have any details?

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
Fire dispatch and Wytheville Town police. I haven't tried to monitor these but a guy that lives there and used to listen to them told me they changed to phase II digital about a week ago and he could no longer monitor. Just gets distortion on his analog scanner on those frequencies now.

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that, is it the Motorola equivalent of phase II digital?
Thank you for your reply!

W4UVV

Separate digital radio systems

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that, is it the Motorola equivalent of phase II digital?
Thank you for your reply!

DMR, NXDN and NEXEDGE are relatively new digital based radio systems and have no relationship to APCO 25 systems.

All three are growing in popularity with various business, private sector and smaller law enforcement users by providing the licensee with a digital based system at a lower cost compared to an APCO P25 trs.

Many FCC licensees over the past 2-3 years have modified their license to add one of the above three systems either in addition to analog. Additionally many newer licenses solely are for one of the three digital system modes. All three systems allow operation in the "private" i.e., encrypted modes.

I recommend reading the appropriate RR forums on these subjects or use an internet search engine for the appropriate digital system of interest.

John
W4UVV

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
That's very interesting! Thank you for your insight. I'll research it further online. I have several PRO-197's and Whistler-built PRO-652's that I should probably move before they're outdated.
Thanks again for your reply

fredva

Feed Provider
Whistler has announced that NXDN monitoring will be available as a future, free upgrade on their new TRX-1 and TRX-2 scanners. And the DSD+ software program will decode NXDN if fed a signal from a scanner with a discriminator tap or a Software Defined Radio dongle. However, those options will only work if the transmissions are not in privacy mode (encrypted).

K4APR

We're on schedule to install a two site UHF P25 Phase II simulcasted trunking system at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility (Virginia Eastern Shore) around December this year. Site acceptance and switch over will probably not happen until late January 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.