• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KMC-35 Microphone Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Tired off having issues with the KMC-35 microphones, static when you move the microphone around. Seems to be issues with the cord or connection not positive but we always end up replacing all of them in the fleet and now still having issues with a few of them once again.

just curious if anyone is aware of any recalls or just basic issues and how can prevent this from happening again, we use the TK8180s

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I haven't seen anything on the Kenwood Dealer tools page where something like that would be posted.

I do make sure my customers understand that the speaker mic's should be considered an "expendable" or consumable device. We're lucky if we see a year out of them. Some of it is user issues, people carrying the radio by the cord, abusing it, etc.

On the other hand, it does seem like the Motorola brand mics lasted a bit longer.

You might want to check into Otto brand mics. I've never used them, but I've heard good things.

Steveradio

Thanks, also Kenwood Authorized as well and checked all my sources we had so many issues with mics its annoying to say the least.

Even the desk top mics KMC9s are crap anymore.. We have maybe two base units one uses the KMC35 and the other KMC9 been working great no problems for years. Just getting frustrated with the radio static issues. The portables we use are fine, most have there own lapel mic and never have any problems.

The fire department the same thing but we also use the heavy duty mics with no problems so far.

Thanks for input just getting annoyed

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I hear ya'.

The KMC-9's look very dated, they don't match the more modern radios. I mentioned this to them a few years ago. Looked like I was buying a 2011 radio with a 1970's microphone. The Kenwood guy agreed with me. I was hoping to see a more modern microphone.

But for our uses at work, the KMC-9's have been OK. The speaker mics have been mostly good, but when they complain about one, I ask them how long it's been in service. If they can't answer me, I let them know it's probably time for a new one.

Reelfishguy

The KMC-9Cs have 2 microswitches inside for the transmit function--one for PTT and one for mic audio. I jumper the mic audio switch on all new microphones and that eliminated the future static problem.

K6FCJ

We have about 500 radios at my work. We have had a lot of bad mikes due to the wires breaking at the strain reliefs. We are currently switching to the Stone Mountain Phoenix mics. I take care of my equipment and had a brand new KMC 35 go bad in less than 2 months.

Steveradio

Think the TS450 is a replacement for the KMC9 series noticed few newer desk mics but the KMC9 like about it has a few designate features to it when it keys up you know its the base mic

Starion1

Over the years, I've noticed that the composition of the mic cord on the KMC-35 and KMC-36 (DTMF) appear to breakdown prematurely. Maybe a bad batch of curly cables? You can just replace the cord itself instead of ordered a replacement mic. The first option will be more cost effective. Too busy to check out the entire fleet, just wait for someone to complain of alternator whine in the audio being transmitted. Identify the unit and replace the culprit. Once the cords starts to fray, the shielding is compromised and hunting down the damaged cable is easy.

Otherwise a great mic for value, durability and audio quality. It's a shame the mic cords were not built to the tough standards we're a custom to the Kenwood LMR line of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.