Columbus Police Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellysrv1

The City of Columbus is now encrypting the Police Dispatch channels.
As of July 10th Police Zone Channel 1 is now encrypted. Just a matter of time before the rest are.

Citizens are no longer able to monitor Police service in their areas.
I think everyone should complain to the Mayor of Columbus before the hobby is dead

Last edited:

w8lgz

The Columbus Police are NOT encrypting their radio system, they are in the process of integrating into the Ohio MARCS system and should be fully converted by years end. If your scanner can receive the MARCS P25 system, you can still hear CPD in the clear.

Hope this helps.

Jim, W8LGZ

K

kellysrv1

On the old analog system zone 1 is absent today.
On the new MARCS-IP system Zone 1 talkgroup is Encrypted

Last edited:
K

kellysrv1

Weird but now I am hearing Zone 1 on analog but on the IP system radio 57269 is causing the issue i am hearing.

copper434

Please clarify ...if CPD does not encrypt broadcasts when fully P25 will the frquencies change...will the TGs have different numbers allocated...I don't see any changes yet in the RR data base...any further update info much appreciated

au1344

Premium Subscriber
It is not encrypted, XPATROL 1 is coming across loud and clear for me

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The new system is still being tested, including encryption capability. I am hearing Patrol 1 on the analog system fine.

I have noticed brief 1 second transmissions on XPATROL 1 the same as I was previously hearing on the Fire Dispatch channels as well, which I believe may be part of this testing, but I have never seen encryption used before so I don't know what it sounds or looks like. They show up very briefly on my HP-2 in analyze mode. I was under the impression that Uniden scanners do not stop on encrypted transmissions. This was causing my feed scanner to stop on XPATROL 1 last night so I locked out the digital channels for now.

They were also using their event channels with encryption during the Arts Festival back in June, but they were used in the clear for Red, White, and BOOM. Only time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

guttapercha

I noticed yesterday and this morning that my 536 was stopping on Zone 1 dispatch with no audio on MARCS-IP.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
OK, officially here it is. I contacted a friend who is a senior official and CPD will only be using encryption on a couple SWAT and NARC tactical channels. Encryption is very expensive and the costs outweigh the need. So I am 100 percent sure we can put this to rest.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
OK, officially here it is. I contacted a friend who is a senior official and CPD will only be using encryption on a couple SWAT and NARC tactical channels. Encryption is very expensive and the costs outweigh the need. So I am 100 percent sure we can put this to rest.

That means life is good...I can monitor CFD with my scanners and still monitor your CPD feed on the weekends...Awesome!

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
..... and PLEASE do not contact the Mayor's office or any other elected officials regarding these issues. Politicians can overreact and really "spoil the broth" if you know what I mean.

QFT (Quoted for truth)...

Nasby

Why is encryption expensive?

I thought it was just a simple check mark in the encryption box of the programming software.

I wonder how can a rural county like Belmont County afford to have every L.E. Talkgroup in the county encrypted?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

I thought it was just a simple check mark in the encryption box of the programming software.

I wonder how can a rural county like Belmont County afford to have every L.E. Talkgroup in the county encrypted?
That just what I was told by the person involved with making the decisions. Maybe all their radios will not have that capability.

I'm sure purchasing a few hundred encryption equipped radios for Belmont County would be cheaper than purchasing 25,000 or 30,000 for Columbus, so a cheaper radio would make sense.

Last edited:

kf8yk

For APX portables the proprietary 40 bit ADP protocol is included for free. If you want encryption that conforms to the P25 standard there's a cost: Single key AES adds $ 380 to each radio and multi key AES adds $ 644.

Status
Not open for further replies.