Memphis Riot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5bti

Things are slowly improving, traffic is still a standstill on I40 and most of the crowd has dispersed into other parts of the city. No violence reported. Memphis PD is continuing to prepare in case things turn violent.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I hope the authorized chemical agent is VX. I truly, truly hate people who would try to stop others from going about their own business by such idiotic things as trying to stop the flow of traffic.

VX is nasty played with that at FT McClellan at CDTF

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
What a great country.

An AMERICAN, advocating the use of a nerve agent, against other AMERICANS exercising their right to free speech, due to the fact it might inconvenience others.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Oi vey.. The chemical agents would be tear gas, smoke, and pepper spray. VX.... Sheesh.... A few rounds of CN5 and some proper administration of kinetic energy and vocal prowess usually do the trick unless you get a few nutjobs that want to play Rambo.... Then 12 ga., 9mm, 5.56 mm, some 40 cal..... Maybe some 7.62 mm/30.06 if you need a sniper.

JoeyC

What a great country.

An AMERICAN, advocating the use of a nerve agent, against other AMERICANS exercising their right to free speech, due to the fact it might inconvenience others.

Free speech does not include blocking roadways and inconveniencing thousands of people because of it. :roll:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Freedom of speech does not cover anything mentioned. Freedom to assemble does not include blocking of an interstate highway, as that breaks the law regarding no pedestrians on said highway. Rioting and looting are again, not covered by those as they are neither peaceful, or proper forums for the airing of grievances. There are right and wrong ways to do that. The way "protests" are handled now is pure agitation of uneducated hate filled evil people by criminal elements that only want chaos and destruction. Want to protest, and hold marches, do it the right way. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. taught us how. He seriously would be asking for the grannies and aunties and moms to start doing drive by whoopin's on this new breed of stupid.

NC1

They have the right to peaceably assemble in protest, in a venue that does not impede the natural flow of business or persons going about their personal schedules.

These "protesters" (and I use that term very loosely) are mini-terrorists who hold hostage everyone who is stopped from going about their activities.
This is not just an "inconvenience", it is more like an attack on those who act in accordance with the law.

Clearly it's NOT about Justice, it is about stirring the pot to get a reaction.

JoeyC

Many of these "protests" are nothing more than social events for todays youth - a street party. Many couldn't elaborate more about what they are protesting against, other than repeating what they've been spoon fed by the trouble making organizers. These people don't watch the news, don't follow current events and are usually ill-prepared when questioned. They only know what goes "viral" on social media, and many have staged events to film in hopes of being the next internet star. Sad indeed.

It is very much about stirring the pot for reactions and MLK Jr would roll over in his grave if he knew what todays protests have evolved into.

wbswetnam

They have the right to peaceably assemble in protest, in a venue that does not impede the natural flow of business or persons going about their personal schedules.

These "protesters" (and I use that term very loosely) are mini-terrorists who hold hostage everyone who is stopped from going about their activities.
This is not just an "inconvenience", it is more like an attack on those who act in accordance with the law.

Clearly it's NOT about Justice, it is about stirring the pot to get a reaction.

Sometimes social change requires more effort than letters to the editor and musings on FB. Sometimes social change is needed and requires force in order to be acted upon.

Women would never have gotten the right to vote had Alice Paul and other women's suffragists not been willing to "stir the pot" and cause others some inconvenience.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. saw that simply writing letters and making speeches would not bring about the end of segregation. He advocated blocking roads, occupying "White only" lunch counters and boycotting buses. He was a pot-stirrer too.

The Founding Fathers of our nation were big-time pot-stirrers. Nathan Hale's "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country", and his willingness to serve as a soldier and spy are seen as acts of valor by our country because he was not willing to meekly request independence for our nation. He (and many others) demanded it, through force.

Sometimes stirring the pot and inconveniencing others are necessary for overdue reform and social change.

NC1

Sometimes social change requires more effort than letters to the editor and musings on FB. Sometimes social change is needed and requires force in order to be acted upon.

Women would never have gotten the right to vote had Alice Paul and other women's suffragists not been willing to "stir the pot" and cause others some inconvenience.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. saw that simply writing letters and making speeches would not bring about the end of segregation. He advocated blocking roads, occupying "White only" lunch counters and boycotting buses. He was a pot-stirrer too.

The Founding Fathers of our nation were big-time pot-stirrers. Nathan Hale's "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country", and his willingness to serve as a soldier and spy are seen as acts of valor by our country because he was not willing to meekly request independence for our nation. He (and many others) demanded it, through force.

Sometimes stirring the pot and inconveniencing others are necessary for overdue reform and social change.

You listed some very good examples, but these days most of them don't even know what the protest is about, or what they want out of it. What exactly is their goal? I have yet to hear them verbalize in plain English what their beef is, how they have been wronged, and lay out a VIABLE solution.

We all know what is going on and who the aggressors are, and who is paying them to protest. There are huge differences between now and what has gone on in the past. People would protest in the past because they clearly understood their plight, not because they were promised money to go out in the street and cause problems.

This is nothing like in the past, they are nothing at all like our founders. Our founders wanted to be left alone to live as they see fit, not make other people pay for their freeloader lifestyle.
Currently, these protesters blame every problem they have on someone else, either living, or dead for 200 years, and want the current descendants of the perceived offenders to be FORCED through government to pay. I find THAT to be problematic.

You cannot have people who have not been offensed, to have others pay for an offense they never gave.

I think the people who are being protested against are more like our founders: "go live your life, and leave me alone"

SCPD

QRT
I think the natural course of things would prevail... a 4,000 pound vehicle against a 200 pound body blocking the roadway. A line of vehicles against a line of soft gooey tissue... hmmm. Now, anyone know someone brave enough to stand there and take that kind of hit? I would wager that after a few mangled bodies lying in the ditches would change a few minds. I'm a firm believer in making an example... who would want to be next? No one, they wouldn't want to be the next mangled body in the ditch. The roads would be clear and there would be a few less mouth breathers to contaminate the rest of the world with their idiotic nonsense.

Gatorman

Let's make this clear. There was NO riot. However, the protestors/demonstrators did break the law by blocking I-40. MPD made a decision to let it play out. Honestly, I don't think they expected it but fortunately no one on the scene was immediately injured or arrested. I did hear that some emergency patients from AR were held up by the bridge closing but this wasn't confirmed. In any event, not a good thing. We have numerous protests scheduled in Memphis today. We're crossing our fingers.

Some of the comments here belong somewhere else no matter what your personal thoughts are. Completely out of line.

Gatorman

I guess some of you would say the same things about my ancestors who fought for US Independence when our country was formed. They faced hanging. Now you're able to sit behind your keyboard and make statements that I'm sure you wouldn't have the balls to make to someone's face. Unless you're used to getting your asses kicked. Shame on you.

And I hope firefighter479 is a wannabe vs. a real public servant whose employer would love to see his post.

scotttish

How about peace?

This is not a dig against gator or anyone else but I am sick of racism. Black, white, or from any other racist group such as BLM or the KKK. It's wrong. Slavery was long, long ago, and a vest majority of whites ancestors, never owned slave, and most weren't even here duing that time. LIVE IN THE HERE AND NOW, work hard, treat people with kindness and respect, and earn your own living. Peace and blessings to you all!!!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since this thread has very little to do with scanning, I'm going to close it.

Political discourse belongs in the forum. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.