Sayerville 700MHZ P25 Phase Ii

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

W2SJW

Database Admin
I think the biggest issue was that the FD & PD wanted nothing to do with Harris. If they get stuck with Harris radios, there's no more interop with any of the surrounding towns:
  • East Brunswick = UHF P25
  • Old Bridge = 800 Motorola
  • Woodbridge = UHF P25

GM

Premium Subscriber
Would the multi-band Motorola or multi-band Harris radios be able to achieve the inter-op with the surrounding towns that have P25 networks? On a personal note, I question why Sayreville refuses to join the County P25 network. They have a 400 foot tower in town with excellent coverage from what I have observed so far, and already have a solid number of talkgroups assigned to them on the 700 MHz system already. The County 700 TRS has plenty of capacity to serve all of their needs with the 20+ talkgroups they have on their own Motorola 500 MHz system to transfer to the County 700 TRS if need be and still have room left over for more talk paths.

I'm also surprised that the FCC granted them their own 700 MHz frequencies, as I was under the impression that they were not assigning 700 MHz freqs to individual towns, but to just County and State entities (minus large Cities such as New York).

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yep, the dual-band models would work flawlessly on East Brunswick's & Woodbridge's systems.

I think only a Harris site controller would be able to fall back into the county's system...

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention the floundering status of Old Bridge's Tait P25 800 system (using existing freq.). When Old Bridge when to bid on this system over three years ago the end user equipment for Fire and EMS were spec'd to be dual band. Tait obviously could meet this spec so they split the bid...with infrastructure going to Tait and end user equipment going to Motorola (dual band). Motorola delivered on there contract over a year ago.

Tait has yet to begin on there contract. At least when (and know you can say IF) the Old Bridge Tait system goes live, there will be inter-operability.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I talked to a friend that is involved with the back-end admin work for his own County, and he agrees that their might be an inherent distrust with Harris over their equipment.

He also confirmed that anyone now can apply for 700 frequencies. It was only for large agencies & counties at the start, but so many agencies decided not to do anything with their allocations that the FCC opened it to any qualifying public safety agencies.

I mentioned this months ago, but the state is still moving forward with acquiring the unused channels for Hunterdon, Passaic, & Sussex to expand the NJICS coverage (with discounted access costs to agencies in those counties that wish to migrate).

Don't know why the hell they didn't plan to do Warren as well, we're not doing anything with our allocations...

Sent from my Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 5

Last edited:

wnws

Premium Subscriber
During the time Sayreville was on the county system there were dead spots especially in the Winding Woods area. Sayreville is built on pits so there are drops in coverage. Even with the current repeaters at Bordentown,Pulaski ave and Raritan Street we occasionally are unable to hear portable radios in the woods.
As for having our own plant it's a matter of control and ownership.
We can no longer communicate with Old Bridge and East Brunswick. We did not update our radios. Soon South Amboy will be on the county system and we will not be able to jump on their system . We still have the capability to speak on VHF such as spen 1 thru 4 and med central. We were able to talk on Perth amboy and Woodbridge old conventional system, however since they upgraded the channels have become useless.

Last edited:

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
During the time Sayreville was on the county system there were dead spots especially in the Winding Woods area. Sayreville is built on pits so there are drops in coverage. Even with the current repeaters at Bordentown,Pulaski ave and Raritan Street we occasionally are unable to hear portable radios in the woods.
As for having our own plant it's a matter of control and ownership.
We can no longer communicate with Old Bridge and East Brunswick. We did not update our radios. Soon South Amboy will be on the county system and we will not be able to jump on their system . We still have the capability to speak on VHF such as spen 1 thru 4 and med central. We were able to talk on Perth amboy and Woodbridge old conventional system, however since they upgraded the channels have become useless.

Oh how I long for the good ole days of 33.82....No interop problems there, nor coverage for that matter.

GM

Premium Subscriber
South Amboy Police, Fire, DPW, OEM, (and soon First Aid) are already on the County 700 system and have been testing it out for the past month.

With regards to Sayreville, did the Council ever bring up asking the County to increase coverage in the dead spots by adding low power repeater towers to cover those locations? The County has a massive 700 system now, and since P25 digital is a suite of standards, perhaps the Council could have authorized the purchase of Motorola equipment to use on the County 700 system instead of building their own system. Also, was testing ever performed on the County 700 by Sayreville; I know it was performed on the 800 MHz EDACS system and there were in fact some coverage issues. As far as I'm aware of, there are 14 talkgroups assigned to Sayreville currently on the County 700 MHz system, and I don't recall seeing too much testing done on them. What are the reports of coverage gaps based on the County 700 MHz system?

As far as inter-op purposes, Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, and East Brunswick will have to relinquish those T-Band frequencies (470-512 MHz) within 5 years due to Congressional mandates (reference the Middle Class Tax Relief Act of 2012). And to let the cat out of the bag, the County is already assigning talkgroups for every County agency and every Borough/Township/City in Middlesex County onto the 700 MHz system, whether it will be used or not.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
WOW that sucks for you up that way, but down here in South Jersey we use The Project 25 Inter RF Subsystem Interface (P25 ISSI), Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic and Burlington County's link to each other and never have any problems with interops.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote" As far as inter-op purposes, Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, and East Brunswick will have to relinquish those T-Band frequencies (470-512 MHz) within 5 years due to Congressional mandates (reference the Middle Class Tax Relief Act of 2012). And to let the cat out of the bag, the County is already assigning talkgroups for every County agency and every Borough/Township/City in Middlesex County onto the 700 MHz system, whether it will be used or not."

I doubt very much whether that will ever happen. NYPD. LAPD and other large cities have said they are giving back anything, plus the FCC still has to deal with the incumbent non-public safety users on the band. Which are not included in the alleged giveback.

wnws

Premium Subscriber
GM my mistake. Sayreville was using the 800 EDACS when we had radio failure. We still have a base and portables that the council aurhorized to rent until our system is built. I wasn't sure if South Amboy went live yet, I've been on vacation.

From what I understand, although we are going to Harris we are still getting our own plant and using the current satellites. I am not sure of additional coverage being included.

The radio room will be geting a full makeover along with the radio system.

ig7180

Premium Subscriber
Current status and future plan for Sayreville TRS?

I realize this is an old-er topic and apologies if its been covered more recently in another thread. A friend in Sayreville is in the market for a new scanner and asked for my recommendation. I've been out of reception range of Sayreville comms since 33.820, 154.995 and 460.250 MHz were last used and am unable to give a 'ears on' assessment of the current system in Sayreville,

I understand a Phase II system may be in place or coming soon. If so are there plans to encrypt PD/FD or EMS? I'd rather not suggest he purchase of an expensive radio that will become a door stop anytime soon.

Thank you :eek:)

GM

Premium Subscriber
Sayreville P25 TRS

A picture says a thousand words:

Attachments

• Sayreville P25.PNG
    Sayreville P25.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 462

W2SJW

Database Admin
It's alive!

Get the basics together in a submission & I'll get it in the DB tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
Sayreville P25

So far, running Unitrunker for 10 days shows mixed results. The Talkgroup ID's follow the same pattern as the Middlesex County P25 network, and so do the Radio ID's. I've also encountered several of the Middlesex County P25 talkgroups on the Sayreville P25 network, specifically several Sheriff and Police/Fire/EMS Mutual Aid talkgroups. Nothing presented in the data from Unitrunker shows this as a Peer site to the County P25 TRS, but I'm almost convinced that the Sayreville P25 TRS is somehow either tied into the County TRS or is a separate site of it (or possibly will be in the future?)

As of today, I have 77 Talkgroups logged as well as some encryption showing up on a few of the talkgroups assigned to the Police Dept.

ka2oon

Talkgroups

just set up my psr800 for this system this morning.
only copied 4 TG in over 2 hours.
19503 seemed to be trash pickup with almost nonstop traffic
while listing to both of the Sayerville, systems. with recorders on both.
none of the PD, FD, EMS, showed on the 700mhz system.
Jim
South River NJ

ka2oon

PD encrypted P25

Just walked into the shack, two scanners on
pd clear on 500 tg 1648
pd encrypted 700 same QSO tg 19101

now that stinks

Jim

GM

Premium Subscriber
I was told by a source of mine that most services and public safety switched over to the P25 system earlier today, and that the UHF TRS will be shut down soon. No time frame given on the shut down of the UHF TRS, but looking at Unitrunker logs, it appears that Fire, First Aid, and Police have all made the official switch-over as of 2 pm EDT earlier today.

Note: Police Dispatch is in secure mode now, while Fire, First Aid, OEM, and Public Works/Services remain in the clear, as of now. The Police link from the UHF to 700 and vice-versa has appeared to have been discontinued.

wnws

Premium Subscriber
The only encryption will be police. The simulcast may be disconnected this upcoming week for pd. Mobile radios are 90 percent installed in police cars. Officers have Harris portable radios. Fire and ems mobile should be completed within two weeks. We went online in the new radio room (rebuilt from old room) this past Thursday with Zetron phone and Harris symphony.

Status
Not open for further replies.