HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I unboxed my TRX-2 today and set it in place.

Downloaded the TRX-2 Software from Whistler.

Before turning it on, I connected the USB Cable. Got a bright white light saying it was charging.

Turned the scanner on with cable connected, and got a screen that said updated software and firmware were being downloaded. It down loaded the drivers as well; I had no option.

Once all was done, I disconnected the cable. Turned the scanner on, no problems, and loaded my zip code to test it.

It downloaded a bunch of stuff from my area, and started scanning. Got a few distant hits, and I am using the antenna on back of radio.

Then went to software again and checked for updates. It said my CPU and DSP needed updated. Turned radio off, turned it on after connecting the cable.

The Computer and Scanner WILL NOT recognize each other.

Disconnected the cable and tried several times to connect; will not recognize.

Removed cable and got only a bright white screen. Blank.

Waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Disconnected power source, waited a short time, and reconnected power.

Now I have a DARK screen with the words "waiting for main unit." Been like this for 20 minutes.

Now what? Send it back. I am not happy. The scanner did recognize my SD card as it downloaded for my Zip code..but won't talk to the computer.

NOT HAPPY. Help?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What version of Windows are you running? Did you install the new drivers, after you downloaded them?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Windows 7. When I connected the cables with power off, I got a screen saying it was downloading and installing. Drivers were a part of that package. Should I download drivers from Whistlers site?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Windows 7. When I connected the cables with power off, I got a screen saying it was downloading and installing. Drivers were a part of that package. Should I download drivers from Whistlers site?

Windows 10 requires a little more effort, as the drivers are not signed, but that's not your problem right now.

When the scanner is Off, the computer will see it as an SD card. When it's On, the computer should see the radio iself. Even though it's a USB cable, the scanner has an internal USB-to-RS232 serial port. So the driver is required for that part of it to work properly.

Look under Computer Manage, and check the hardware devices, and see if they're all properly recognized. Look for a small yellow triangle icon, alerting you a hardware device is not properly recognized, or configured. If you find it, try to update the driver, and point it to where the new driver is located.

There's likely nothing wrong with your scanner, or computer. Its just a like finicky!

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I will check. However, I took everything apart, waited for 5 minutes, plugged it all back it, and it set the clock and downloaded the CPU update. But now it will not update the DSP. All it says it the download cannot be installed at this time. Back to black screen saying "waiting for main unit."

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I will check. However, I took everything apart, waited for 5 minutes, plugged it all back it, and it set the clock and downloaded the CPU update. But now it will not update the DSP. All it says it the download cannot be installed at this time. Back to black screen saying "waiting for main unit."

Repeat the same routine you used and see if it works. As I said, it can be a little finicky at time..and down right frustrating.

MichaelBhere

Make sure you updated your pc app after you installed it. Remove power cord, remove USB. Press and hold power button 30 to 60 seconds then release. Plug USB cable only from pc to scanner. Wait for pc to recognize, approx 10 seconds. Update CPU from the pc app then update DSP from the pc app. Plug in power to scanner, press and hold power button for a few seconds then display should tell you it's OK to release power button. Be sure to leave scanner on to charge the internal battery or change clock to on then you can shut off and battery will continue to charge.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I will try that now. Over the last half hour, my computer recognizes the drive, then later it does not, then its on again, off again...sometimes updates will apply, other times no. One time my internet connection went down. Another reboot its back.

A short while again the whole install program started something new...was downloading everything all over again, I could see the scanner in my computer as its own drive. Now its gone again.

Bad Software? bad Cable?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate your time and help. Do you think its a bad scanner or just goofy software issues? I am really worried about this. Thanks.

MichaelBhere

Be patient and systematic. Wait 10 seconds after connecting to pc before you attempt to update the CPU or DSP.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
The computer keeps locking up when I try to do a simple change..like turning off the back light, or changing something really small just to test. Now it is not showing as a drive. Its just off and on, nothing working right. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall again? My time for today is running out. I still believe it is software?? I've been put thru hell and back before with crappy software. By the way, where is Whistler at on these boards??. I called them 2 hours ago and they had to take my name and number. But no one monitors these forums...at least no one who knows what they are doing at Whistler. I'm just really angry now.

I just tried to set the clock again. It says no communication with the" serial" port??

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I have to close down for the night. I've other things as well to do. Should I delete all this crap tomorrow and try again? Thanks for your help. Greg

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Greg,

I was busy pushing out my website update and wasn't checking the forum... Wish I would have noticed this sooner...

I wonder if you are having similar problems to what I experienced with my scanner having problems entering and leaving CPU update mode: http://forums.radioreference.com/wh...-firmware-update-problem-cpu-update-mode.html

Based on what Whistler has said here and their support, I guess you are getting the full Whistler experience, and everything is working by design.

But we've now learned a new step: People should use a card reader to delete the driver file from the SD card before plugging in the scanner so Windows doesn't try to read it and get upset. FWIW, I've had problems with Windows 7 too. Previously, it was my go to computer for scanner upgrades, but now it won't work but I was able to get Windows 10 to work last week, fortunately. I was really scratching my head about it until Don admitted the other day that he's been changing device communication protocol in the EZ Scan software updates lately. It all started to make sense.

Now to try to push this week's update to my scanner... What fun. Last week's update sure did a hit to my P25 reception. Will be interesting how things perform with the new one.

mikey60

I will try that now. Over the last half hour, my computer recognizes the drive, then later it does not, then its on again, off again...sometimes updates will apply, other times no. One time my internet connection went down. Another reboot its back.

A short while again the whole install program started something new...was downloading everything all over again, I could see the scanner in my computer as its own drive. Now its gone again.

Bad Software? bad Cable?

If the scanner is turned on, you will not be able to access the SD card as a drive. To access the SD card as a drive using the scanner and USB cable, the scanner must be turned off. This may be why it's doing what you describe.

For the serial port driver, open the Windows Device Manager with the scanner plugged in (it does not have to be turned on) and look under Ports (COM & LPT). You will likely see an entry there with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Right click on that item and select the "Update Driver Software" option that appears in the menu. Choose the Browse my Computer option. In the file path enter the correct path for the driver inf file as follows:

64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Whistler\TRX-2\Drivers
32 bit: C:\Program Files\Whistler\TRX-2\Drivers

You will likely be prompted about the Whistler_TRX-2.inf file not being signed. Select the Install anyway option (I can't recall the exact wording on that at the moment). Once the driver install completes, the program should be able to see the scanner. You can try the option under the Scanner/SD Card menu to set the clock to see if it communicates.

Mike

dmaria

The computer keeps locking up when I try to do a simple change..like turning off the back light, or changing something really small just to test. Now it is not showing as a drive. Its just off and on, nothing working right. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall again? My time for today is running out. I still believe it is software?? I've been put thru hell and back before with crappy software. By the way, where is Whistler at on these boards??. I called them 2 hours ago and they had to take my name and number. But no one monitors these forums...at least no one who knows what they are doing at Whistler. I'm just really angry now.

I just tried to set the clock again. It says no communication with the" serial" port??

When I purchased the Whistler 1098, I also had the same problems you are having. I also got the dreaded "Waiting for main" issue. Sometimes I could finish the updates on the 1098, but the clock could not be set (via the computer). I found out that if I reseated the SD card several times, it would work. This was on a Windows 10 and a Windows 7 computer. I finally replaced the SD card with a Sandisk SD, and everything has worked perfect since then.

You may have USB or driver issues (many people do, for a variety of reasons), but if you focus only on driver issues, you may be blinded to the real problem.

dmaria

I unboxed my TRX-2 today and set it in place.

Downloaded the TRX-2 Software from Whistler.

Before turning it on, I connected the USB Cable. Got a bright white light saying it was charging.

Turned the scanner on with cable connected, and got a screen that said updated software and firmware were being downloaded. It down loaded the drivers as well; I had no option.

Once all was done, I disconnected the cable. Turned the scanner on, no problems, and loaded my zip code to test it.

It downloaded a bunch of stuff from my area, and started scanning. Got a few distant hits, and I am using the antenna on back of radio.

Then went to software again and checked for updates. It said my CPU and DSP needed updated. Turned radio off, turned it on after connecting the cable.

The Computer and Scanner WILL NOT recognize each other.

Disconnected the cable and tried several times to connect; will not recognize.

Removed cable and got only a bright white screen. Blank.

Waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Disconnected power source, waited a short time, and reconnected power.

Now I have a DARK screen with the words "waiting for main unit." Been like this for 20 minutes.

Now what? Send it back. I am not happy. The scanner did recognize my SD card as it downloaded for my Zip code..but won't talk to the computer.

NOT HAPPY. Help?

I just noticed that you said that you you connected the cable and turned the unit on. The scanner MUST BE OFF for the computer to recognize it as a mass storage drive. This can be confusing if you have used some of the latest Uniden scanners which have to be turned on to program.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that you said that you you connected the cable and turned the unit on. The scanner MUST BE OFF for the computer to recognize it as a mass storage drive. This can be confusing if you have used some of the latest Uniden scanners which have to be turned on to program.

Right. But a "mass storage drive" isn't what he wants. He needs it to act as a Com device. This is what's confusing to many. Just because it shows up in My Computer does not mean it is communicating. Just because Windows says the device is installed, doesn't mean the comm works. There are two separate aspects to the drivers: Communications Device, USB to Serial Emulator; and the USB Mass Storage Device (and, I might point out, for $600, it works quite poorly compared to Mass Storage Device readers that cost 1% of the price). I explained all of this in a thread that this site deleted. I'll try to dig it up later.

I image he's tried every combination of power on and off by now.

It could be the microSD card is bad, but that's unlikely if it is the firmware upgrades are the problem.

USB cable selection is important. I have some that just won't work.

The scanner could actually be corrupted or otherwise faulty.

Likely, it's a driver issue, which, as you noticed in the other thread, Whistler denies there is a problem and isn't likely to do anything about it.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
And so it goes on. Plugged my USB cable only, and got a "battery charging" message.
Then I went to "my computer." There was a icon there for Whistler, but it looked more like a document icon.
Tried to open it. Very slow. When it opened, the icon and everything whistler just disappeared from "my computer"

Then the screen said downloading firmware, do not turn off. After a few seconds I got an error message: Call whistler for service...Code 4.00

I'm still waiting for them to call me back from yesterday.!! The manual said it was an "initialization error, call support"

Any thoughts please. Thanks.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Just a note. I went to uninstall the program. The program that comes up (icon) says I have a TRX-2, portable handheld scanner?

Called Whistler. Got the same guy from yesterday, very polite who said he would give my name and number to tech support, as they are very busy right now. I bet. They have my info from yesterday. Why not call me back this morning? Thats a rhetorical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.