• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude grommet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Hello Everyone

Just purchased a new Jeep 2016 latitude and wondering if anyone here has installed any radios in there vehicles yet and if you have where is the closest and easiest grommet to get too thru the firewall?
I will be installing 2 a Yaesu Ft7900 and a ll meter rig and then later a ft857. I have an idea where I am going to mount the radios and antennas just need to know where to route the wiring to the battery to and from. I also have to be done neatly because its my wifes vehicle lol
kb0vwg
kb5vwg Her call
wqoi992

SCPD

QRT
Why not go to the dealer and ask them ?Or Jeep Forums?

I would check on the drivers side,by the brake pedal.
In some cars you have to lift the carpet up a little to find grommets.......

cmdrwill

I found the grommet in the firewall on the left side up under the dash. Above and to the left of the brake pedal. Note, the 'grommet' also contains many wires, but there is room for a power cable.

Ground was to the body to seat bolts using external tooth star lock washers, the coating on the bolts does not like to conduct electric current....

Tillertruck

Premium Subscriber
I just got a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I found a grommet on the right side where the battery cable come into the cabin. On this Jeep the battery is under the passenger seat.

A word of warning with all the computers in the vehicle. The Jeep dealer advised me to connect the Ham radio to the fuse block incoming power in the engine compartment, not directly to the battery.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
For some reason, Jeep products are classically know for interference from both the fuel pump and also the fuel injectors. Running both the + and - power wires together all the way to the battery will often give less interference problems than grounding to the seat or anywhere else other than right to the negative post of the battery terminal.

Fuel pump noise can be quieted down quite a bit with a common mode choke installed on the fuel pump power line pair (+ -).

Speaking of fuel injector noise, if you are experiencing that, a ground strap between the exhaust pipe and the frame in a couple of spots will help. The exhaust pipe is insulated from ground by hangers everywhere except at the engine, and that turns it into an antenna. On 2 meters FM I think you should be OK. It often drives 11 Meter AM/SSB radios crazy. For an 11 meter radio, the ground straps usually work the best roughly a quarter wave away (9 feet) from the center of the engine. Installing several, say at 8, 9 and 10 feet can help broad-band the noise shunting out a bit.

nzoliver

I found the grommet in the firewall on the left side up under the dash. Above and to the left of the brake pedal. Note, the 'grommet' also contains many wires, but there is room for a power cable.

Ground was to the body to seat bolts using external tooth star lock washers, the coating on the bolts does not like to conduct electric current....

Hi!
I have installed my FT7800 in my'15 Trailhawk. Ok, the grommet referred to above is correct but it is TIGHT. I snipped the end off the protrusion and could get a piece of 50Ohm and the power ( + and - ) through with a light coat of lube on the cables.
The power cable I used is more than adequate for the 7800 and I will be hanging a 5w UHF radio off it too - I figured I can only talk on one at a time!!! The antenna for the UHF will have to go out the rear some how.
I do know that a couple of guys in Australia have taken a little more of the grommet and got 2 coax cables and 4 or 5 power cables thru.

CHeck this out....
UHF radio antenna mounting - 2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums

Oliver

KB0VWG

I found the grommet slightly left of the brake and it was not being used by anything, Plenty of room to run cable with room to spare. it was a little tricky to get the cable up to the battery kinda had to do some fishing lol. Will add pictures soon.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.