Moving from AL to KS - Emergency Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently live in Alabama and use my personal vehicle to assist motorist in emergency situations along with storm chasing and other situations where it may be necessary at times to display warning lights from the rear of the vehicle to warn on coming traffic. I use red, amber and clear warning lights on my explorer. The only red I use it displayed from the rear of the vehicle and all warnings lights are only used when the vehicle is stopped. I am looking to move back to Kansas where I grew up and I plan to keep all of the lights on my vehicle I have now. I have read through several pages of lighting laws for KS and there isnt anything real specific about the color of lights that non emergency/private vehicles can use. At least the laws in Kansas dont seem to be as clear as here in Alabama. I am hoping there are some LEO, Troopers ect on here or someone in the know that could assist me. :confused:

dgruver911

Actually I think the state statutes are pretty clear; 8-1720, 1729,1730. and 8-2010 all speak to emergency lighting only being allowed on authorized emergency vehicles,and school buses. To be an authorized emergency vehicle you would have to get a permit signed by the local sheriff, fire chief and/or county commission, and experience has shown those have become very, very rare over the last 20 years. You just don't see POV's with emergency lights in Kansas much any more. My advice, use your four-way flashers and forget the emergency lights.

I cannot find any statutes that state a non emergency vehicle can or cannot use certain colors of lights. The above just states what is required if your an emergency vehicle.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
...I see whackers running around with what ever they can come up with Amber light wise.....I would advise against it...it's a different time and place here in Kansas even in the extreme rural settings of Western Ks. You might get away with it for a while, but..........
You need to ask your ins. agent what your ins. co. thinks about you doing this since all this is taking place with your vehicle.
Also while your at it , get ahold of the Sheriff and Emergency Manager of the county you will be residing in...see what they think and have to say....get ahold of the Chief of Police of the city you will be living in and run it past him/her.
If everyone that I have listed has no issues , then I say go for it....get the big Amp alternator for the Explorer , if you had not already done so, and load it up with all the equipment you desire...have your Ins. agent review your full coverage ins. on your vehicle (mainly for theft from the vehicle) and your own personal liability.....
Not being a pessimist , just reality in present day Kansas coming from a 51 year resident of Topeka,,,take it for what its worth.

...I see whackers running around with what ever they can come up with Amber light wise.....I would advise against it...it's a different time and place here in Kansas even in the extreme rural settings of Western Ks. You might get away with it for a while, but..........
You need to ask your ins. agent what your ins. co. thinks about you doing this since all this is taking place with your vehicle.
Also while your at it , get ahold of the Sheriff and Emergency Manager of the county you will be residing in...see what they think and have to say....get ahold of the Chief of Police of the city you will be living in and run it past him/her.
If everyone that I have listed has no issues , then I say go for it....get the big Amp alternator for the Explorer , if you had not already done so, and load it up with all the equipment you desire...have your Ins. agent review your full coverage ins. on your vehicle (mainly for theft from the vehicle) and your own personal liability.....
Not being a pessimist , just reality in present day Kansas coming from a 51 year resident of Topeka,,,take it for what its worth.

I have contacted the state troopers office and waiting for a response. My issue is my vehicle is already outfitted and being used in Alabama. The only lights im worried about are the two red lights on the rear of the vehicle thats premaritally installed. I dont see it being much of an issue because when I drove back to KS this past spring I noticed non emergency vehicles using red/blue lights facing the rear with clear/amber facing the front.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Here is the rules to read

8-1729. Lights and signals; restrictions; exceptions for certain vehicles including school, church and day care buses.

(c) Flashing lights are prohibited except as authorized or required in K.S.A. 8-1717, 8-1720, 8-1721, 8-1722, 8-1723, 8-1730, 8-1730a and 8-1731, and amendments thereto.

http://www.kscoplaw.com/vehcode/art17.html#8-1729

So unless you meet this, then sorry no.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
I have contacted the state troopers office and waiting for a response. My issue is my vehicle is already outfitted and being used in Alabama. The only lights im worried about are the two red lights on the rear of the vehicle thats premaritally installed. I dont see it being much of an issue because when I drove back to KS this past spring I noticed non emergency vehicles using red/blue lights facing the rear with clear/amber facing the front.

What you saw was either
1) A vol. Fire Fighter
2) A whacker

byndhlptom

Emergency lights

When I was a volunteer, the Fire chief/Police Chief, or Sheriff had to sign your application to the state. was authorized to issue permits. The state no longer issues them, but recognizes a locally issued one (by PD/Sheriff/Fire). The state was primarily interested in what was showing to the front (the emergency stautue required either a rotating red or two alternating flashers as minimum to the front along with a siren to be classed as an emergency vehicle).

Amber does not require any permit in KS. As long as you have amber to the front and amber/red to the rear, the state does not recognize that as an emergency vehicle, thus it is technically "legal". That does not mean that you will not be questioned about it in some jurisdictions. Blue to the rear is also frowned upon, but also technically legal. How you use it will dictate what experiences you have.

They can't very well make amber (front or rear and red (rear) illegal, that's what almost every vehicle has from the factory....

Unless they have changed the law in the last few years, that should be what is in place now.

$.02

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
This is something you should take up with the authority in that jurisdiction, the opinions of something posted on an Internet message board is not exactly legal advise. Contact the State DMV or Highway patrol for accurate definitions and requirements under the vehicle laws

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Here is the rules to read

8-1729. Lights and signals; restrictions; exceptions for certain vehicles including school, church and day care buses.

(c) Flashing lights are prohibited except as authorized or required in K.S.A. 8-1717, 8-1720, 8-1721, 8-1722, 8-1723, 8-1730, 8-1730a and 8-1731, and amendments thereto.

http://www.kscoplaw.com/vehcode/art17.html#8-1729

So unless you meet this, then sorry no.

Exactly correct. Basically, the only flashing lights permitted on your vehicle in Kansas are your turn signals / 4 way flashers. The only exceptions are school buses, emergency vehicles, oversized loads, construction vehicles and tow trucks.

I have spoken with the state troopers office and they assured me all of my vehicle equipment and lights do comply with Kansas law.

I know the messages posted on a public forum arent really legal advise. I was hoping someone on here was maybe a LEO or trooper who could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

SCPD

QRT
What you saw was either
1) A vol. Fire Fighter
2) A whacker

Or he seen a government vehicle such as highway department or a public works highway vehicle. Many across the country have been going to this with the operators taking courses regarding it with the vehicle. Some states have included public works with the red or blue light laws even if it is facing only to rear. I do recall passing through one storm season a few weather chasers had rear hardware going with reds mixed with amber when stopped however only ran amber in motion for rear or safety when going slow. They didn't have any red or blue going in motion. Now that you checked with the HP I would also contact the sheriff and oem manager and inquire and notify them. Always good to have clear open communication so your not mistaken for one of these whackers like this guy across from me which lately has a surplus 2010 charger decked with leo everything. We been keeping a eye on him.

Last edited:

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
AlabamaWeather;2612262........... I was hoping someone on here was maybe a LEO or trooper who could steer me in the right direction. [/QUOTE said:
...A LEO from Ks. has responded and confirmed what several of us have been trying to tell you.....Who knows , you may get to meet him some time....

Last edited:

nec911

Exactly correct. Basically, the only flashing lights permitted on your vehicle in Kansas are your turn signals / 4 way flashers. The only exceptions are school buses, emergency vehicles, oversized loads, construction vehicles and tow trucks.

I would take the advice that KAA951 just gave. In Shawnee County, we have a very strict and strong emergency vehicle permit system.

Also, we have looked and do continue to look into complaints about people who are not permitted. During the storm chaser sagas over the last couple years, we have had deputies and troopers take care of those folks who are illegally using lights on their private vehicles.

https://www.snco.us/em/document/EmergencyVehilcleApplication2006.pdf

ks_scan

Premium Subscriber
You didn't talk to the Kansas Highway Patrol about this... In Kansas, as others have said, the law is quite clear! Your vehicle cannot even be EQUIPPED - without use - with red lights or siren in Kansas if it does not meet the Statute for Emergency Vehicle. I am an LEO, we arrest people for running emergency equipment on their vehicle and KHP does as well. You were told several times....do what you wish but you know the risk.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
<Snark:ON>
So using four-way emergency flashers aren't legal since the rear lights are red?
<Snark:OFF> :lol:

Seriously, the KS laws cited are a model of clarity. I don't see how anyone could read them and not understand them.

Last edited:

lindsay34654

No matter how you want to twist it, you lose. The person you are going to talk to, state, local, city, county are not going to care that your lights a perm mounted. The law in that state is very clear No means NO, no matter how you look at. If you want to help someone on the side of the road that is up to you and a good thing. But remember with or without lights someone is always getting hurt of killing doing it. instead of lights use your cell phone and call for help. Do not become and KOH on the states count.

ramakc

Premium Subscriber
Emergency / Warning lights

I am a FIRST RESPONDER as a volunteer. As has been mentioned, there are privileges, responsibilities and a lot of training needed to stop and render assistance to a motorist on the interstate or US highway. If you are randomly stopping to render assistance while you are storm spotting or chasing, the suggestion to use only your 4 way flashers is a good suggestion.

Having said that, I use a light bar with amber and clear lenses on the front (NO RED OR BLUE), and several LED tier 3 lights on the back of my vehicle. They are amber, red and clear / white on the back. IN ADDITION to the lights, I am also required to deploy 28 inch safety cones, wear a high visibility shirt or vest, and I am not allowed in the lane of traffic at all.

Qualifications wise, I was required to get training through ATSSA, recommended to meet with Fire / EMS / LEOs in the areas in which I operate, BEFORE I offered assistance to motorists. I am now a recognized FIRST RESPONDER with emergency signage on my vehicle. I am also an amateur radio operator and thereby granted additional privileges through my license. I am a former EMT/paramedic and carry additional ID and equipment in my vehicle.

As such, I have rendered assistance in many parts of the country and have never been challenged or asked what I am doing, or why. With eight years of experience and offering assistance properly, it is obvious that I have been trained and performing my duties correctly.

Without training, proper emergency equipment, appropriate high visibility safety wear, I too suggest 4 way flashers, get well out of the way of traffic on the RIGHT shoulder and and call for assistance as needed.

Finally, Kansas is the strictest state in the mid-west for following rules and protecting it's motoring public and those who wish to help them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.