Tweaking 2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
..My reception is poor on a couple 2096's i have..other radios pick up fairly well...was told there is a way to tweak these by adjusting the VR screws inside the radio....has anyone had any luck with this?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Try my reception FAQ, look at:
reception FAQ
Especially #11 as I have seen and heard many state this did the trick.

The VR adjust FYI is only just for 800 Mhz tweaking.
Since you didn't put in your profile where you are, we can't help out further as what frequency bands you are listening to.

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
county

I am in clinton county Ohio and this county uses the P25 freqs...they are in the 800 range..i can program them just fine, but it seems like the pro 2096's doesn't have the sensitivity as others..say the pro 197 or 652

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am in clinton county Ohio and this county uses the P25 freqs...they are in the 800 range..i can program them just fine, but it seems like the pro 2096's doesn't have the sensitivity as others..say the pro 197 or 652
I wouldn't be turning those trimmers in your scanner or you might end up with a Deaf scanner! Maybe invest in a 800mhz. antenna instead? :wink: 73, n9zas

dalan57

Premium Subscriber

I have a few 800 mhz antennas, and they work fine on other radios..but i have 3 2096's and all of them have poor reception...must be some reason why they don't pick up as well as the others ...

gewecke

Banned
Have you tried a preamp with any of them ? Or maybe a Yagi? Just wondering ... 73, n9zas

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
pre amp

tell me about this pre amp....i do have an amplified radio shack antenna i use for shortwave,,,is this the same?
,,its about maybe 5x5 inches..with an antennae ya pull out and a couple tuners for different band lengths

gewecke

Banned
tell me about this pre amp....i do have an amplified radio shack antenna i use for shortwave,,,is this the same?
,,its about maybe 5x5 inches..with an antennae ya pull out and a couple tuners for different band lengths
No not quite the same. While you do have a preamp, its only designed for 30 mhz and below. To start with, you could try using a Catv preamp which typically amplify signals from about 700 to 1000mhz. Most big box stores like Walmart stock them. Also if you live in a heavy rf populated area with a few towers and commercial fm stations, then the preamp might introduce intermod, But if you're in more of a rural area then you should see improvement. :). 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.