I love the hamfest chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Had a wonderful morning at the Sussex hamfest! I always run into friends that work 'in the right places' when I go to the bigger flea markets. Here's the latest info that's safe enough to share without getting anyone in trouble:

• When NJSP starts the migration of the 800 system to P25, it's now going direct to Phase-II. Everything is pending budgetary approval.
  • REMU is building out more sites in South Jersey for NJICS expansion. I DO NOT know for whom or when...
  • DRJTBC is coming off 800 & going full-time 700 soon. That's the reason for the new DWG site & the site in Portland, PA.
  • Rockaway Twp is going to be moving all public safety to DMR. I kicked myself for not asking if it was going to be 2 separate conventional repeaters on their current frequencies, or if they were going to use the 2 repeaters as a Capacity+ TRS. Time will tell! They performed testing in the last 2 months & were very happy with the coverage they got compared to their current analog system (i.e. - portables were able to be heard in places they've never been heard on analog).

Minor edit - The NJSP P25 infrastructure will be Phase-II capable. I've got no idea how long it will be until the subscriber units are all upgraded.

Last edited:

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Minor edit - The NJSP P25 infrastructure will be Phase-II capable. I've got no idea how long it will be until the subscriber units are all upgraded.

Its been Phase-II capable for a few years now. They put in GTR's at the same time as the NJICS went up.

W2SJW

Database Admin
It isn't. The majority of the primary 800MHz infrastructure is Quantars...

GM

Premium Subscriber
Will the current NJSP 800 MHz frequencies be splintered to a 6.25 kHz step like the NJ Turnpike Authority 800 MHz ones, or are they going to stay at the same 12.5 kHz step, but just put into Phase 2 TDMA mode?

W2SJW

Database Admin
They will probably stay the same. I've had some private conversations off the site here this evening that are leading me to reach out to my friend tomorrow about the actual model of repeaters still in use on 800.

I don't notice it too much being so close to Montana Mountain, but others that are caught between two tower sites on the normal simulcast have told me that the out-of-sync signals make the analog talkgroups sound very bad at times (and they would expect a whole lot better performance out of GTR's)...

Sent from my Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 5

elias1988

Feed Provider
Pro-106 doesn't handle Phase II,you would need to upgrade to the newer Unidens or the Whistler ones.

Monoxide16

That stinks thank you for the info. I have the Pro- 668 also. Would that be able to handle the new system and when are they going to make the switch over? Sorry for the questions. And the Pro-668 sounds horrible.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I texted my friend this morning - a majority of the machines have been updated to GTR's. Probably only a few lesser-used IR sites still have the Quantars.

Status
Not open for further replies.