WS1080: WS1088 Battery Charging Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiorandy

I have a WS1088 scanner that I've installed Panasonic 2500 MAH Eneloop batteries in. Nowhere in the manual does it say how long to charge the batteries. In other scanners I've charged the same cells for 24 hours. I find the batteries don't last very long.
Does anyone know how long to leave the scanner plugged in for a full charge? I'm using an external USB charger with the programming cable. I don't want to take the batteries out of the unit to charge them.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Charging in the radio is not the best way. Get a good external charger that charges each cell independently, your Eneloops will thank you. You will likely experience an increase in play time also.

TAbirdman

whistler scanners don't really charge the batteries, more like maintain the charge the batteries had. It will take like a month of not using the scanner to charge a good set of batteries. yes, Rivardj is correct - external battery charger is the best way to get fresh bats! :)

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I have the same batteries in mine. With the scanner running (I usually leave it going 24/7), the charge rate is slow, but it will pump juice into them. I can usually use it for a couple hours unplugged, perhaps a bit more, and, certainly, It works well enough to go between the cookie sheet perch to the truck without losing power. With the scanner off, it'll charge the batteries much quicker. Either method, it will do more than maintain; it will increase the charge.

I use "charge" quite liberally as it doesn't top them off, it just restores them to a certain point. 1.5v X 4 = 6v. And, really, they like a bit more than 1.5v when topped off. USB power and most USB adapters is 5v. So the max you're going to get it with the USB cable is at least a full volt from full charge. It's like running the batteries between 0% and 25%, which is not good for them (however, it is convenient).

When you know you are going to need the scanner on battery for a long time, definitely charge the batteries in a good quality charger. It would also be good to do the same for you regular radio batteries to try to extend their life (i.e. reduce the creation of a "memory").

For your bug out bag or for emergency use, keep lithium batteries around. They hold their charge for at least a decade when unused and are generally good power sources. Also, they don't leak (i.e. if left out in a hot vehicle), which is nice.

SCPD

QRT
I have the same batteries in mine.

I use "charge" quite liberally as it doesn't top them off, it just restores them to a certain point. 1.5v X 4 = 6v. And, really, they like a bit more than 1.5v when topped off. .

These batteries are 1.2v not 1.5v.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Wow. I did not realize that. Thanks for letting me know. Leave the scanner plugged into the USB for a day or so and then test the voltage on the batteries. I'll do the same one of these days.

SCPD

QRT
Wow. I did not realize that. Thanks for letting me know. Leave the scanner plugged into the USB for a day or so and then test the voltage on the batteries. I'll do the same one of these days.

As I am sure others here have stated, please do not use your scanner as a battery charger. I go as far as to flip the switch in the battery compartment to alkaline when I do firmware updates.

Anne-Britt

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned above, since late last year, I have been using my scanner to charge the same set of batteries with no problems. Unless you need a full topped off charge or are very concerned about the longevity of your batteries, there's really no consequence. The convenience is great.

Of course, for the price, the scanners should have nice lithium batteries as standard.

SCPD

QRT
Personally I just don't see the need for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for this application.

What is your reasoning?

Anne-britt

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Well, before I begin, could you please define your definition of the "application"?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
You're right, perhaps all they should be are toys.

In the future I should buy a tool, even if it costs more.

BrianG61UK

I find it takes way more than one day to charge them in the scanner.

As I am sure others here have stated, please do not use your scanner as a battery charger. I go as far as to flip the switch in the battery compartment to alkaline when I do firmware updates.

Anne-Britt

Why not just disable battery charging in the menu?
(Set charging time to 0)

Also why are you so against having the scanner charge the batteries?

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
Also why are you so against having the scanner charge the batteries?

Look around Radio Reference to see the melted scanners from charging batteries in your scanner. This is a BAD idea .. external chargers are the answer, not only much much faster but safer.

BrianG61UK

Look around Radio Reference to see the melted scanners from charging batteries in your scanner. This is a BAD idea .. external chargers are the answer, not only much much faster but safer.

We are talking about the WS1080/88.
I doubt very much any of those have melted.
Mine charges the batteries so slowly the temperature rise is barely detectable.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the OPUS chargers on Amazon....Not real expensive and do much more than just charge the battery. By the way, has anyone seen RadioRandy?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I'm still charging my batteries in my scanner. I'm on the same set since the beginning of the year. Haven't once charged this set in a proper charger.

If you are worried, set the charge time to something low, like 6 hours. But, really, something like 24 is probably just fine. Even with that, I doubt they will get fully charged. If the scanner is running, it charges incredibly slowly (in fact, this is a new feature, charging was previously disabled while the scanner was on). Now, don't blame me if your scanner smokes, I'm just reporting what works for me.

I leave my scanner on almost all the time. I use the battery sometimes when out (or if the power fails). So my scanner is usually plugged in (set to charge the batteries for ~18 hours). It'll last a couple hours on a charge depending on how topped off it is. Even with brand new alkaline batteries, I'm only going to get maybe 6 hours, assuming there is lots of radio traffic, it is trunked, etc.

Now that I have the new fancy case, I'd be resistant to swapping out batteries frequently. Give the USB charging a try if you want. Or do it the "right" way and charge them with a proper charger.

BatteryCharging.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.