software preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishn1

I have the BCD536. Which third party scanner programming and control software would work best for this?

Proscan, scancat, Arc536pro, or something else? Is there any good freeware ?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD536. Which third party scanner programming and control software would work best for this?

Proscan, scancat, Arc536pro, or something else? Is there any good freeware ?

Uniden Sentinel. Not 3rd party but I think a great software program.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I prefer the ProScan by a long shot. You also get to use it for all the Uniden fleet back to the 780.
Why don't you try each one? They each offer a demo.

chris

gonefishn1

I prefer the ProScan by a long shot. You also get to use it for all the Uniden fleet back to the 780.
Why don't you try each one? They each offer a demo.

chris

Thank you Chris. Yes that's a good idea to try before you buy. I'm no software expert so I do appreciate other peoples opinions and I would like to hear from more people about what they like and why. So please give me your opinion on which software package you like.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use ARC536Pro. Its adequate software.

Mostly I use it to capitalize Site, Department and Channel tags, making them easier to read as well as Virtual Control. Also I can use it to download data from RR as soon as the changes are posted rather than waiting for the weekly Uniden update, but that's very rare.

Still need Sentinel for profile editing (which I do frequently), full database download and for firmware updates.

gonefishn1

ofd8001: Are you using the front USB port on the 536 or the DB 9 serial port on back for virtual control? On the Butel site they mention some possible problem with using the front USB port? I don't want to have a problem and have to buy another cable or null modem or whatever they are talking about. How is yours connected and how well is it working for you?

cg

Premium Subscriber
I use the supplied WIFI for remote control, works like a champ. I ran it through my router rather than directly to the computer and it goes 24/7.
I ran into some issues with the Butel software getting the quick keys set up. I wanted to turn everything off in a system and then turn on only a couple sites/departments. Never figured if there was a better way other than going one at a time to shut them off. Proscan has a single screen with all 100 key boxes showing up. I can choose any or all (right click mouse) on/off. ARC has the ability to add Quick Key numbers to every FL/System/Site/Department Alpha Tag. It is a really neat feature and helpful as there are too many Quick Key possibilities in my programming to remember.
The overall look with Proscan control is more like the radio, with ARC, it is a bit cartoonish for lack of a better description.

chris

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Unless I'm mistaken, ProScan cannot be used for programming the BCD436HP or BCD536HP scanners; you can only use the software for controlling them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
ofd8001: Are you using the front USB port on the 536 or the DB 9 serial port on back for virtual control? On the Butel site they mention some possible problem with using the front USB port? I don't want to have a problem and have to buy another cable or null modem or whatever they are talking about. How is yours connected and how well is it working for you?

I'm using the rear (GPS) port. This is a scanner issue and no software will overcome that.

Cabling is a little cumbersome, but setting it up is a "do it once and you're done" situation. And it seems there are a ton of cables around a computer any way, so what's one more :)

Here is my cable setup from computer to rear port on scanner:

1. USB to Serial Port Adapter (Plugable from Amazon)
2. Null Modem adapter (Radio Shack)
3. Gender Adapter (Radio Shack)
4. RS232 cable (one I had forever)

gonefishn1

ofd8001: Thanks! It seems Uniden really needs to work on the USB port !!! So do you still have the Radio shack part #'s for the adapters? Thanks again for sharing all that info.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The front port on the 536HP is the port designed for programming. I use ARC536 Basic for programming and have no problem with it. The rear port is designed for GPS connection and if you use it for programming you'll need a null modem in line to make the connection work.

I connect from my computer to the scanner using a regular USB to USB Mini cable, so I don't know what issue people are having connecting.

One of the things I like about the 436/536 is that I can take the Micro SD card out, put it into a USB adapter, and plug it directly into my computer. I don't have to bring a laptop out to my truck or bring the scanner in to the house. Plus I can clone a number of cards if I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.