Franklin/Delaware County MARCS-IP Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I live in Lewis Center, right on the Franklin/Delaware County line. I'm listening to Columbus Police, on the new MARCS-IP system. Being somewhat in the fringe of service here, I've programmed every single control channel of every site which is close to me into my PSR-500. This includes sites in Franklin and Delaware County alike. I'm getting very choppy and intermittent reception. On the PSR-500, I have the settings set to ROAM mode, thinking that it would search and find the most stable control channel to work off of. I tried the STAT (stationary) setting too, and not much difference. Does anyone around the northern Franklin County area have any luck getting decent reception of the MARCS-IP system?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hello,

I live in Lewis Center, right on the Franklin/Delaware County line. I'm listening to Columbus Police, on the new MARCS-IP system. Being somewhat in the fringe of service here, I've programmed every single control channel of every site which is close to me into my PSR-500. This includes sites in Franklin and Delaware County alike. I'm getting very choppy and intermittent reception. On the PSR-500, I have the settings set to ROAM mode, thinking that it would search and find the most stable control channel to work off of. I tried the STAT (stationary) setting too, and not much difference. Does anyone around the northern Franklin County area have any luck getting decent reception of the MARCS-IP system?

You're most likely experiencing the dreaded P25 simulcast distortion issue. Try reducing the amount of signal into your scanner so you're only receiving a single tower. Where you are that would most likely be the Polaris tower behind Station 33.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Do you by chance live within close proximity to a Sprint cell tower? I've noticed that when near Sprint towers, their 800 MHz voice/LTE service causes interference with my signal reception. It was most notable on the City of Columbus analog system. I haven't listened enough lately to see what it's effect is on the City MARCS-ip system. I would guess the reproduced voice would sound low quality if not choppy.

FWIW, if you can see this image, based on my fringe coverage experience if you're in one of those circles it should actually work fairly well. I live at the outer circle edge on 33 southeast of town and it's totally usable indoors.

Attachments

• Coverage.jpg
    Coverage.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.