North Korea resumes Numbers Station Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Numbers stations are still very much around - and the Russians are even doing them digitally using modes like Serdolik...

Back on topic - about 1/3 way down the page, there's a pic of a very ancient radio supposedly meant to show the kind of radio these 'agents' are (were?) using to receive these broadcasts. Of course, nowadays all you need is a good quality portable like a Tecsun, Kaito or others...

North Korea broadcasts with mystery numbers carry Cold War echoes | Daily Mail Online

Mike

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Numbers stations are still very much around - and the Russians are even doing them digitally using modes like Serdolik...

Back on topic - about 1/3 way down the page, there's a pic of a very ancient radio supposedly meant to show the kind of radio these 'agents' are (were?) using to receive these broadcasts. Of course, nowadays all you need is a good quality portable like a Tecsun, Kaito or others...

North Korea broadcasts with mystery numbers carry Cold War echoes | Daily Mail Online

Mike

Just FYI, that looks like a radio the CIA used back during the Cold War. I can't quite remember what the name of it was, though. It's probably more likely that they are using some old Soviet-Bloc HF gear.

Token

Just saw this:

"3277 khz daily from 1230 to 1240 UTC"

I don't know how accurate the info is, but it is posted in the hfunderground site as being a daily hit.

This is not the same transmission noted in the first post in this thread.

The net noise for the last week has been the fact that the North Koreans included a numbers transmission as part of the Pyongyang Broadcasting System (PBS) Voice of Korea normal shortwave transmission on July 14, at 1545z. This is a return to habits they ended in 2000, where the numbers station known as V15 was included as part of the regular shortwave broadcast of PBS.

However, as far as I can tell, only a single transmission was made, and it was not in the same format as the old V15 transmissions were.

The transmission on 3277 kHz daily at 1230z is a different animal. It is also a numbers transmission, however it is not part of the regular PBS shortwave broadcast. Further, V28 has been active on a daily basis since some time last year.

So we are talking two different things here, the V28 transmission that has been active for some time, and the possible reactivation of V15 as part of scheduled PBS transmissions, which has not happened for 16 years.

It will take time to determine if a V15 like station has actually returned or if the single, so far, reported transmission was fluke, and also to determine if it is the same format or a totally new signal.

T!

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Just saw this:

"3277 khz daily from 1230 to 1240 UTC"

I don't know how accurate the info is, but it is posted in the hfunderground site as being a daily hit.

I wonder if I can pick this up using a small hand held HF receiver while on the beach?

Anyone ever see the remake of RED DAWN ?
Albeit that is one of kim dumbs fav dreamy movies

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmmm...if that beach is on the West Coast, and you're using a long duckie or telescopic whip (likely a better alternative would be 20-25 foot of wire)...both you and the station are in darkness...and the propagation gods smile :.>>, maybe...MIke

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Those numbers stations are a blast from the past ( and present too it seems) since as a kid when I listened to them, a touch of paranoia always struck me lol! :D. 73, n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wonder if I can pick this up using a small hand held HF receiver while on the beach?

Anyone ever see the remake of RED DAWN ?
Albeit that is one of kim dumbs fav dreamy movies
Yep, I think I still have that flick on Vhs. There's actually a newer movie out on Dvd about a numbers station! Good movie too, sorry to get off topic Btw. :wink: 73, n9zas

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Yep, I think I still have that flick on Vhs. There's actually a newer movie out on Dvd about a numbers station! Good movie too, sorry to get off topic Btw. :wink: 73, n9zas
Yup has John Cusack. Love that movie too. Sorry for being off topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Token

If the beach is in the north of South Korea, possibly. But not in the US. V28 is a hard nut to crack on this side of the Pacific. Frequencies are slightly variable, power appears to be modest, and the frequency / time combination makes for poor propagation to North America. Using 450 feet of Rhombic pointed directly at North Korea (well, China, but the bearing is good for NK also) I generally get a poor but copiable signal.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.