Multiple extension speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I am in need of some assistance and advice.I have to install three (3) extension speakers in three different offices from one radio. Each speaker needs its own volume control. I have been researching audio amp/mixers and I'm unable to come up with a suitable set up. Budget is somewhat limited.

Any suggestions and sources appreciated

jboczek

Feed Provider
Look for a "speaker selector with volume control". I've found a couple different ones on Ebay for under $60 and have 3 speakers hooked up to a base radio. Works great. Didn't use an amp, just connected external speaker output of the radio to the input of the selector and the speakers to the outputs. Plenty of volume on all the speakers.

toastycookies

would something like this work for $50?

ART_SPLITMIX4_SPLITMix4_4_Channel_Passive_Splitter_Mixer_1257196718000_656634.jpg

ART SPLITMix4 4-Channel Passive Splitter/Mixer SPLITMIX4 B&H

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'd use a Barix built intercom and transport it all over IP. Not the cheapest but it is one of the cleanest ways to go.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

bharvey2

Not sure what your budget is but what about a small 70V line amp? Many 70V speakers have built in volume control and running room to room in a building shouldn't pose any problems.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what your budget is but what about a small 70V line amp? Many 70V speakers have built in volume control and running room to room in a building shouldn't pose any problems.

Budget is probably $200 might be able to squeeze a couple more out of them if need be

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Yeah, I'd agree with this. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
An audio feed off the scanner could feed a line level input on an amplifier.
Take the 70v feed off the amp and just run all your speakers in parallel. Individual speakers can have their own volume controls.

Simple, easy and you can probably find a suitable amplifier on e-bay for cheap.
Another option is these guys:
Product Categories

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Its a Vertex mobile being used as a base station

OK, no big deal. We did this in our fire station with a Motorola CDM-1250.
We took an audio feed off the back of the radio. That was fed into one of the RDL labs mixer (link above) to allow two CDM-1250's to feed the system, one for our dispatch, one for an adjoining agency. The amplifier fed out through the station. There were volume controls and speakers in the various rooms.

Pretty simple and easy setup. If you have just the one radio, then you don't need the mixer. For 3 speakers, you don't need a big amplifier.
Heck, you could get an old home stereo tuner/amplifier that had two sets of speaker outputs. That would give you the ability to run 4 speakers. Use some simple 8Ω speakers. You could probably find a tuner/amp at Goodwill pretty cheap.

bharvey2

Budget is probably $200 might be able to squeeze a couple more out of them if need be

Your budget would be on the low side for any high end supplies but could still be doable (as long as you aren't including labor) Give the site below a try:

https://www.parts-express.com

You'll need both a 70V amp and 70V speakers. If you aren't familiar with 70V systems, the primary difference between them and common home stereo systems is that they use transformers at the amp and speaker locations to accommodate long speaker wire runs. There can be a loss in fidelity with 70V systems but for voice traffic it will be fine. 70V systems are very common for PA applications in large industrial, commercial and office environments.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'd agree with this. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
An audio feed off the scanner could feed a line level input on an amplifier.
Take the 70v feed off the amp and just run all your speakers in parallel. Individual speakers can have their own volume controls.

+1 on this. This is what I am trying to get installed into my fire stations.

Sent via Tapatalk

prcguy

+2 on this, its the right way to do it. Or you could get a 70 volt line transformer, connect it to the speaker outs on the radio then use speakers downstream with 70 volt transformers and volume controls. The radio probably puts out plenty of power to feed several speakers this way.
prcguy

+1 on this. This is what I am trying to get installed into my fire stations.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.