DMR Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
A few thoughts on my observations so far in my 4 days with my WS-1088. There is a DMR station on just about every UHF freq. from 451-455 and 461-465 and even the 935-940mhz area, not to mention VHF and other areas of the spectrum. I have a receive range of 150 miles from any direction from me which makes it even harder to ID the stations.
In many cases there are 2 or 3 different DMR stations on any given frequency. The only way I can confirm this is by signal strength and also the Color Codes are usually different. Many times I will hear a QSO on a frequency, only to find out the frequency is part of a trunked system. I have also used the attenuator to my advantage when I want to search for only local stations. Until the RR database starts to populate with input from listeners, it will be like back to the good ol' days where you ID a station by listening to the context and trying to match that up with what you can find on the DMR FCC listings, if it is even there.
With Analog and P25 stations, if you match up a PL or DPL or NAC with what is published on RR or the like, you can be 99% sure that what you are hearing is confirmed. But with DMR, there is only 16 Color Code choices which will make it harder to pin down the ID of a channel. I wonder if the frequency coordinators consider the Color Code when they assign new licenses. I don't think it is up to them to assign CC's.
Thoughts?
Bob

Last edited:

nd5y

That's NOT a color code!

When you add fequencies on the license application online form it makes a new line with a new Freq ID for each frequency.
It only represents the order the frequencies were entered when the form was filled out. Other than that it's meaningless.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
That's NOT a color code!

When you add fequencies on the license application online form it makes a new line with a new Freq ID for each frequency.
It only represents the order the frequencies were entered when the form was filled out. Other than that it's meaningless.

Well that stinks! :( I thought I was on to something. Thanks for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.