NYC transit police

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPo

Hi all anyone know what frequency transit police moved to I think I heard it was going to be a city wide freq.
I haven't heard them in a long time on 160.905 or 160.500 any help will be greatly appreciated

Bill

Hamop54

What was wrong with VHF?

I too noticed that a number of the VHF frequencies for NYC transit police have gone quiet. And they had such a good signals on VHF. Well I guess I can put something else in those 4 frequencies I had programmed. 73 Dan

Septa3371CSX1

I too noticed that a number of the VHF frequencies for NYC transit police have gone quiet. And they had such a good signals on VHF. Well I guess I can put something else in those 4 frequencies I had programmed. 73 Dan

As was mentioned before they switched to UHF to be in line with the rest of the department. This also allows officers from the regular patrol precincts to be able to talk directly to Transit Division officers without having to go through the dispatcher.

Analogrules

The old VHF frequencies should therefore be removed from the DB or at least listed as deprecated.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The old VHF frequencies should therefore be removed from the DB or at least listed as deprecated.

I don't see a submission from you or anyone else requesting that be done. That is how the database gets updated and maintained, when people make submissions. Don't rely on the database admins to read every thread and post to know what's going on; take direct action instead next time.

Analogrules

I do know how things are done....I'm just surprised nothing has been done yet. Sometimes my db submissions take over a month to process, so I just figured someone else already took care of it, but just wasn't processed yet.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if so far anyone has had a chance to monitor the new NYPD Transit frequencies. If so, have you been able to tell if the reception is better or worse after the recent change from VHF to UHF?

I do not live in NYC any longer, but I do visit several times per year. When I was there about two years ago, I recall monitoring the FDNY on the new UHF channels and they did not come in nearly as well as the old VHF channels. I found this true (for me, that is) whether I was uptown or downtown.

Thanks!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Yes at my location here in Ct. it now takes some effort to hear them decent. Used to get them with a rubber duck on the handheld here like FDNY was on VHF. But now with the lower power on UHF, I have to use a yagi to hear them decent. In comparison, I get maybe half of the precincts better than the transit on UHF. It may be a different story in the NYC area. I am a reasonable distance away and that is my report.
Bob

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Yes at my location here in Ct. it now takes some effort to hear them decent. Used to get them with a rubber duck on the handheld here like FDNY was on VHF. But now with the lower power on UHF, I have to use a yagi to hear them decent. In comparison, I get maybe half of the precincts better than the transit on UHF. It may be a different story in the NYC area. I am a reasonable distance away and that is my report.
Bob

Thanks!

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
NYPD Transit Bureau on UHF is loud and clear on an HT out here on Staten Island. :)

Thank you, Charlie.

I will see how the system sounds next time I'm in the City. I always take the subways when I'm there.

My choice for a NYC "around town" HT is the Icom R-6. I like its super compact size, decent-sized alpha-numeric display and particularly the feature that allows me to use the earphone wires as an antenna, even in NFM mode. I prefer being discrete when I'm in public monitoring!

I'll post my results here on monitoring the new transit radio system after my next trip in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.