Carolina Beach/New Hanover

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I am going to Carolina Beach in a week. Can someone tell me what's encrypted and what's in the clear? Anything special I may need to know about?
Thanks

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
I am going to Carolina Beach in a week. Can someone tell me what's encrypted and what's in the clear? Anything special I may need to know about?
Thanks

Hi. I just want to point out because I am not sure if you are aware but if you search the online database present on Radio Reference you will see all the listings and if you don't see an "E" for encrypted you are pretty much insured it can be heard. Not trying to be smart with you...just that I do not know you or what you know about the hobby.

I got to load up Carolina Beach in my scanner because I will be down there next week so your post caught my eye. I am looking forward to what others say as to what is interesting to hear there.

Nice to meet you here !!!

GamecockSJ

The transit buses, NHRMC ambulances, and I think fire and EMS, but I don't recall. I was just there recently and the scanner was pretty useless.

You can hear everything from Brunswick on VIPER though.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
You'll be able to monitor Carolina Beach Water rescue, some of the hotels, and Kure Beach Rescue. Carolina Beach PD, Wilmington PD and New Hanover Sheriff's Dept. are all encrypted. Wilmington FD, County FD and rescue to New Hanover Regional Medical Center are in the clear on the county P25 system.
You can monitor UNCW and Cape Fear Community College Public Safety departments. Wrightsville Beach PD is in the clear on the New Hanover County P25 system. If you're so inclined you can also monitor Brunswick and Pender County Sheriff's Dept. on the NC VIPER System.
VIPER is used locally by D.E.A and A.T.F. and I've heard them both.
FWIW the military comms, although not constant, do occur.
Hope this helps a bit.

WA4MJF

Has Fort Fisher, 4th FSS, gone to a trunked system as SJAFB has? Last I was down there they were still on the 400-420 UHF band with conventional radios.

I think the NCArNG tenant units use VIPER.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but I've not heard either.

Has Fort Fisher, 4th FSS, gone to a trunked system as SJAFB has? Last I was down there they were still on the 400-420 UHF band with conventional radios.

I think the NCArNG tenant units use VIPER.

Status
Not open for further replies.