• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 SmartNet/SmartZone Type II Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewc65

Before I dive into the post: All of you Motorola legal freaks - be aware that the radio I am talking about was from my County (photos to prove it was property of SD County are attached). Bought it from the County RCS when they had a radio auction - upgraded to XTS5000's

I programmed this via ASTRO CPS w/ the system key input all my talkgroups and conventional channels. Set the radio to Affiliate "On PTT" w/ scanlists, hidden talkgroups etc.

The system I am talking about is a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. I set the radio to the coverage type of WAC AMSS and input some of the control channels from RR's list of sites. My issue is that when I go to any of the conventional channels that are programmed w/ the trunking scanlist, it is just static. I created Zone 2 and tried a normal 800Mhz conventional channel that I can receive on my MT2000 and it worked perfectly fine.

Current FlashPort Code: 5400080000007

I do know that this radio will work *normally* on the County's RCS since it is directly from the County.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 791

SCPD

QRT
I just can't believe they would auction a radio off with their system key still in the radio. Did you create the system key with the program that is the wild?.

Andrewc65

When did system keys start living in radios?

They deprogrammed the radio. I never said that it was still in the radio. The entire thing was de programmed when I got it from the RCS. Just saying that it was used on the same RCS so in theory it should work back on the same SmartZone system when scanning via non affiliation.

Not trying to do any harm - I'm curious as to why my radio has static when on trunking channels.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
What do you mean "just static"? Open squelch static, or something else?

What is the configuration of the conventional personality? Do you have an unused frequency programmed in? CSQ or PL?

Also, if you're going to go through the trouble of obfuscating a label, you might want to include the bar code, Mr. EC11711.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I just can't believe they would auction a radio off with their system key still in the radio.

Not uncommon. Someone on another thread bought an MTS2000 still active on the old 4.1 side of the SAFE-T system in Indiana, ID was still live on the talkgroups programmed into the radio.

I am about to start deploying APX radios and all the old XTS subscribers are coming back. Part of the scope of work for the vendor includes proper documentation and de-programming so that this kind of thing does not happen, and only when all radios have been collected, inventoried and and verified wiped clean of all codeplug data and defaulted to blank stuff will the radios go to surplus.

I know of one agency near me who drills holes through mobiles and puts high voltage into the battery pins of portables to ensure the radios are never used again.

SCPD

QRT
Not uncommon. Someone on another thread bought an MTS2000 still active on the old 4.1 side of the SAFE-T system in Indiana, ID was still live on the talkgroups programmed into the radio.

I am about to start deploying APX radios and all the old XTS subscribers are coming back. Part of the scope of work for the vendor includes proper documentation and de-programming so that this kind of thing does not happen, and only when all radios have been collected, inventoried and and verified wiped clean of all codeplug data and defaulted to blank stuff will the radios go to surplus.

I know of one agency near me who drills holes through mobiles and puts high voltage into the battery pins of portables to ensure the radios are never used again.

System keys can live in radios. When they are sold or auctioned off good security practices would be to wipe EVERYTHING from the radio. I just can't believe that stuff happens. I believe you need the system key in the CPS system keys folder to write to the radio even though it's still in the radio. I realize this is off topic, but there other ways to do the non-affiliate trunking without having to setup a trunking system. Maybe the OP
should try that and maybe it will work. He probably has it programmed incorrectly and sooner or later it will accidentally (which can happen if non-affill is not done right) will affiliate and possibly get nuked.

The OP is not doing something right in the CPS or the radio is malfunctioning. The 3000's are old and if the pixels haven't gone out on the display yet, something else is going. Should maybe get it aligned by a radio shop, which will help if the radio if it does not have serious issues.

MTS2000des, I like the idea of putting high voltage on the battery pins of portables, I wonder how much of a smoke show they get.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
System keys can live in radios. When they are sold or auctioned off good security practices would be to wipe EVERYTHING from the radio. I just can't believe that stuff happens. I believe you need the system key in the CPS system keys folder to write to the radio even though it's still in the radio. I realize this is off topic, but there other ways to do the non-affiliate trunking without having to setup a trunking system. Maybe the OP
should try that and maybe it will work. He probably has it programmed incorrectly and sooner or later it will accidentally (which can happen if non-affill is not done right) will affiliate and possibly get nuked.

The OP is not doing something right in the CPS or the radio is malfunctioning. The 3000's are old and if the pixels haven't gone out on the display yet, something else is going. Should maybe get it aligned by a radio shop, which will help if the radio if it does not have serious issues.

MTS2000des, I like the idea of putting high voltage on the battery pins of portables, I wonder how much of a smoke show they get.

Every Astro Saber I have acquired second hand was still programmed with the encryption keys still in the radio…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewc65

What do you mean "just static"? Open squelch static, or something else?

What is the configuration of the conventional personality? Do you have an unused frequency programmed in? CSQ or PL?

Also, if you're going to go through the trouble of obfuscating a label, you might want to include the bar code, Mr. EC11711.

Whenever someone transmits on the channel, it is just static. I don't believe it is open squelch static.
Attached is the configuration of the conventional personality. It has an unused frequency programmed in that isn't used by the Trunking System.

Attachments

• ConventionalPersonality12.jpg
    ConventionalPersonality12.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,112
D

darunimal

.... ...one agency near me . drills holes through mobiles and puts high voltage into the battery pins of portables to ensure the radios are never used again.

That's what microwaves are for, not just popcorn! It does make me wonder if they do the same with their older vehicles and other old surplus, too.

Andrewc65

They deprogrammed the radio. I never said that it was still in the radio. The entire thing was de programmed when I got it from the RCS. Just saying that it was used on the same RCS so in theory it should work back on the same SmartZone system when scanning via non affiliation.

Not trying to do any harm - I'm curious as to why my radio has static when on trunking channels.

Again, I never said that the key was still in the radio. Don't know where that came from. Can we please focus on my original topic?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Whenever someone transmits on the channel, it is just static. I don't believe it is open squelch static.

Attached is the configuration of the conventional personality. It has an unused frequency programmed in that isn't used by the Trunking System.

It may be a P25 repeater, rather than analogue.

slicerwizard

Again, I never said that the key was still in the radio. Don't know where that came from. Can we please focus on my original topic?
It came from jwilson2013. System keys don't live in radios; keys are for programming radios. So you repeatedly stating that the key is not still in your radio is rather meaningless. If anything, it indicates a lack of understanding, which isn't a good thing when it comes to radio programming. It's nowhere near the level of the "I programmed the same ID into two trunked radios; why do they now use the same ID?" thread however... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.