• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can i use MURS radio frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Can i use MURS radio frequencies for movie producers becuase i am starting a independent Movie Productions company and i am trying to save money. i was wondering if i could use any of these for my company ?

Film and Video Production Radio Service (FCC Section 90.69)

Last edited by a moderator:

bharvey2

As long as you abide by the rules governing MURS, you can use the frequencies assigned to MURS without obtaining an additional license. The freqs you listed above would require that you obtain a license from the FCC.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Can i use MURS radio frequencies for movie producers becuase i am starting a independent Movie Productions company and i am trying to save money. i was wondering if i could use any of these for my company ?

Film and Video Production Radio Service (FCC Section 90.69)
Sure, as long as Murs compliant radios are used. Frequencies are; 151.820, 151.880, 151.940, 154.570, & 154.600 mhz. Those you listed would require you to be licensed as bharvey stated. :). 73, n9zas

bharvey2

These are the five MURS channels:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)

154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)

154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

The top three are narrow band only, the bottom two are wide band.

gewecke

Banned
So is that MURS
No, that's not a Murs channel. That production company might have been licensed for it since it does require one. The Murs channels have already been posted. Scroll down the thread. 73, n9zas

nd5y

151.800 isn't a valid FCC allocation. The closest would be 151.7975 or 151.805. That doesn't mean somebody wasn't illegally using it or somebody's receiver wasn't exactly on frequency.

SCPD

QRT
what frequencies are unlicensed

I have radios by Boafeng and they are great radios. I am trying to link all of them together for my movie productions company and two are UHF and the other ones are VHF . what frequencies can i use that are private that i can link them together so i do have to pay a lot of money to program them. some of that i look at is FRS and PMR . I have discovered that MURS is not a UHF but a VHF. the radio is a BF-888 radio and i am trying to figure out if i need to buy more UV-5r radios. i am trying to not let other people listen into the film productions. please let me know if you have any ideas that can help me out. i don't know much about frequencies.

nd5y

You can't "link radios together" (whatever that means). You need to consult a two-way radio shop or communications consultant. They can help you get licensed and tell you what equipment is legal to use. If you are running a business and don't know anything about radios or frequencies you shouldn't try to do it yourself and you shoudn't be looking for advice on a hobbyist web site.

bharvey2

I have radios by Boafeng and they are great radios. I am trying to link all of them together for my movie productions company and two are UHF and the other ones are VHF . what frequencies can i use that are private that i can link them together so i do have to pay a lot of money to program them. some of that i look at is FRS and PMR . I have discovered that MURS is not a UHF but a VHF. the radio is a BF-888 radio and i am trying to figure out if i need to buy more UV-5r radios. i am trying to not let other people listen into the film productions. please let me know if you have any ideas that can help me out. i don't know much about frequencies.

If you wish to prevent others from listening in on your conversations, the radios and bands you've listed won't provide what you desire. As was mentioned above, it is best to consult a company that provides radio communication services. You can often rent radios, have them shipped directly to you programmed and ready to go. In most instances you won't have to worry about a license. this might be the best way to go until you can afford to purchase the radios and license for your application.

SCPD

QRT
i ment to say have them working together so i can use all 8 of them on the same frequency thats all

gewecke

Banned
i ment to say have them working together so i can use all 8 of them on the same frequency thats all
Sure, you can have them all on the same frequency, and on the same tone if you assign one. :wink: 73, n9zas

SCPD

QRT
If you desire privacy there always is the motorola 900mhz spread spectrum models I believe some do offer a basic privacy. I don't recall if they are license by rule/license free or license required. If they are license free they are most likley low power as murs. Your ideal path would be to consult a radio shop who already has frequencies and systems they lease out. Your other opton is to yourself register and file the fcc paperwork and apply for IG frequencies for use in temporary locations in numerous regions. This also is where a radio shop could help you license. If your only needing low power line of sight a basic area close to another murs or frs radios would be your freebie choice. Though they must be murs type accepted or frs. Either you make the free work or cough some cash and register or lease off a radio shops license/frequencies. Many shops already have the hardware and systems in nxdn or DMR to TRBO with privacy options. Your first step is to contact several shops and inquire pricing and lease pricing. FWIW the baofeng is not type accepted on murs or on frs. Gmrs you would need a license. In all if you want encryption your best bet is to contact a shop license frequencies or lease a system that is shared and enable privacy on your small group system. When a system is shared it is setup so you won't hear the other users and they won't hear you. But unless encryption is used or privacy as some call It anyone with a scanner can hear. Depending on what you can lease or buy it'll cost some money. Your probably better getting with a shop and leasing a system with equipment rather self applying with fcc then buying certified equipment. Once you get down road and have funds available you could seek other options. You could always use murs and keep sensitive information to landline or cell not giving exact locations or names etc. Many movie companies do not use any privacy while some do not everyone does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.