Manteca Police Encryption Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber

mm

Are you guys serious?

I can just see it,Hello Mr. Chief of police: My name is Abdullah and I'm signing the petition to have you remove encryption from your police radio system.

Answer from the police chief: Oh ok, Abdullah and a hundred other scanner heads want us to not use encryption so I guess we'll do as you request.

Last edited by a moderator:

kma371

QRT
It should be noted they have only allowed one other agency in the county to have the encryption key. They don't even like other agencies to listen to them.

kma371

QRT
Are you guys serious?

I can just see it,Hello Mr. Chief of police: My name is Abdullah and I'm signing the petition to have you remove encryption from your police radio system.

Answer from the police chief: Oh ok, Abdullah and a hundred other scanner heads want us to not use encryption so I guess we'll do as you request.

If you read it, it's not addressed to the chief. It's to the mayor which has authority over the chief so it wouldn't be his choice.

Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure they will turn it off once it bites them in the ***. They'll try calling for mutual aid or something and someone will end up dead because of it.

kma371

QRT
Also, Just a little history on why they have encryption in the first place. A member of the media was one of the first guys on scene of a high profile shooting. Chief didn't like that.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Too bad there wasn't a way to turn it on/off on the fly, so if there is a major incident, a dispatcher could punch a button and scramble the whole system.

georgesteve

I hope that everyone reading this signs the petition to support not only our hobby but our right to hear what we're paying for at work in the community. Imagine it was your town.. That simple thought just angers me

allend

Premium Subscriber
Just signed the petition too. Good Luck up in Northern California. Southern California has been in full force of this Big E for a long time now.

gusbuster

Premium Subscriber
Also, Just a little history on why they have encryption in the first place. A member of the media was one of the first guys on scene of a high profile shooting. Chief didn't like that.

I remember this. It was a big stink. If we are talking about same case the reporter also did or shared crime scene photos for the department. There was another local paper besides the bulletin, i believe it was Sunpost and their reporter didn't think it was right that the bulletin reporter was shown favoritism.(he had a radio that had encryption key) Hence he no longer had the ability to listen in on local pd conversations. I believe now he is called via landline\mobile phone when needed.

I could be wrong, but i do remember this as it occurred once the department went digital. Also the retiring chief was from a southern CA pd which already was encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.