Is this a misplaced entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

I might be missing something, but I see that page listed in the All Trunked Systems page, which is a list of not just public-service TRSs.

Where do you see it listed as a public-service?

Edit: A new section could be added to the bottom of the Utah's Amateur Radio Page that would list amateur TRS links, (similiar to how each county's analog listings are followed by a TRS listing for that county,) but I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement.

Just curious,

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Go here, then go to the bottom...

Salt Lake County, Utah (UT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Interspersed with all the other public service, private and commercial trunks is the link for this entry.

It's odd - I would have expected it to be linked on the page below, just like the trunk systems found in the above page. Perhaps that functionality hasn't been added yet due to the fact it's DMR...albeit a DMR ham system.

Utah Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Mike

[edit] To me this wouldn't be difficult to implement - simply copy the form code that creates the table links from the SLC page to the Utah amateur page, and you'd be good to go, but I'm not the one doing the coding...

Last edited:

QDP2012

Go here, then go to the bottom...

Salt Lake County, Utah (UT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Interspersed with all the other public service, private and commercial trunks is the link for this entry
This listing too is for "All Trunked Systems in (that county)". Maybe it seems unusual to see it there because there simply aren't that many amateur trunked systems yet, anywhere.

It's odd - I would have expected it to be linked here, just like the trunk systems found in the above page. Perhaps that functionality hasn't been added yet due to the fact it's DMR...albeit a DMR ham system.

Utah Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
(I edited my earlier post probably while you were typing your reply.)

I agree, it certainly could and probably should be listed at the bottom of this page, much like TRS's are listed at the bottom of county-pages.

And I think you're right, that functionality probably hasn't been added, but maybe because there's been no real need for it before now -- no trunked amateur systems.

I guess this is one more feature for the admin team to add to the website's design.

I wonder how many other amateur TRSs are there in the RRDB that display similarly? i.e. How big is the current need nationally for amateur TRSs to be listed at the bottom of the amateur pages?

Interesting find. Good catch.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This kind of logic could be a gateway to documenting other amateur radio 'trunks', such as P25 or NXDN (if there is such a thing). Legally speaking, both P25 and NXDN would be possible protocols under the Rules...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves, there are Amateur radio IDAS networks now...not quite the same thing, granted, but it could be listed in the same way. There's so much growth now in the digital side of ham radio that some evolution is probably a good idea

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's an issue for the DBAs to decide. However I will set up a submit ticket to get that system removed from the trunked area.

Mike

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Any networked DMR system is entered in as a trunk system in the database. This includes networked amateur radio DMR systems such as DMR-MARC and BrandMeister.

Currently there is no provision for displaying such systems in the Amateur Radio listings.

So yes, it does belong in the trunked area.

It might be better to submit a ticket asking for systems to be flagged as amateur and to have these systems displayed under the Amateur Radio tab instead of the County trunking system.

nd5y

Any networked DMR system is entered in as a trunk system in the database.
This isn't true for Texas and Oklahoma. Like I have pointed out in other threads the db admins in different areas have different rules and standards.

In my area there is a two state multi county electric company with IP linked repeaters. If you want to see it all on one page you have to look at the wiki article i made for it.
Southwest Rural Electric Association - The RadioReference Wiki
This system started out as conventional. When I submittend the DMR data they left it as separate repeaters on each county page.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I must admit that I fail to see the logic in putting an amateur radio network in the trunk entries.

What about the other amateur radio networks that are not DMR? I'm afraid the reasoning about putting an amateur DMR Network in the Trunked area falls apart here. And that same logic fails if you happen to list an Amateur IDAS or P25 network.

To me, it should go into the Utah Amateur Radio page as a 'network'. You could copy the code that lists trunked systems at the bottom of the county pages, and relabel is as 'Amateur Radio Networks in <insert state name here>'. Then point to the page that's already built. Since the code for this already exists, the need for new code is minimal. It also opens up the possibility of defining IDAS and P25 Amateur networks with precisely the same method.

I realize that DMR (along with NXDN in it's various flavors) as a whole has yet to be fully implemented in the database, but shoe-horning this in an area where it doesn't belong isn't a good answer.

Mike

Last edited:

ecps92

I agree, they are not TRUNKED Nets, but Linked NETS
Same as the old Analog Repeaters, linked for Wide-Area.

Maybe it has to be done this way to show the various Talk-groups ?
I must admit that I fail to see the logic in putting an amateur radio network in the trunk entries.

What about the other amateur radio networks that are not DMR? I'm afraid the reasoning about putting an amateur DMR Network in the Trunked area falls apart here. And that same logic fails if you happen to list an Amateur IDAS or P25 network.

To me, it should go into the Utah Amateur Radio page as a 'network'. You could copy the code that lists trunked systems at the bottom of the county pages, and relabel is as 'Amateur Radio Networks in <insert state name here>'. Then point to the page that's already built. Since the code for this already exists, the need for new code is minimal. It also opens up the possibility of defining IDAS and P25 Amateur networks with precisely the same method.

I realize that DMR (along with NXDN in it's various flavors) as a whole has yet to be fully implemented in the database, but shoe-horning this in an area where it doesn't belong isn't a good answer.

Mike

D

DaveNF2G

The DMR, DStar and Fusion networks are systems of linked repeaters. There is no centralized controller receiving or granting channel requests.

nd5y

If your'e going to list amateur DMR networks as a trunked system in the database, then why only show one area (Utah) when there are hundreds of repeaters all over the world on the same network using the same talkgroups/time slots.

If it was up to me I would just list the local repeater frequency and color colde and have a note pointing to the network's web site which is more likely to have accurate information especially if something changes.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I had it submitted and theaton put it there, I'm not sure what to tell you, I submitted the info what happens to it after that , I have no say so

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Remember this system does have a control channel which I'm my opinion makes it trunked even if it's amateur radio linked , unlike linked systems which just have a hub or something, it definitely has a control channel, it definitely borders both..

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Remember this system does have a control channel which I'm my opinion makes it trunked even if it's amateur radio linked , unlike linked systems which just have a hub or something, it definitely has a control channel, it definitely borders both..

Hello,

It does not have a control channel. There is no controller directing the user to a repeater and time slot. The repeater, talkgroup, and timeslot are programmed into the radio and the user selects it. The controllers are used to link repeaters together.

73 Eric

ecps92

++1 :roll:
Hello,

It does not have a control channel. There is no controller directing the user to a repeater and time slot. The repeater, talkgroup, and timeslot are programmed into the radio and the user selects it. The controllers are used to link repeaters together.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.