Thoughts on Getting rid of my PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyesofDeath

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I just wanted to see everyone's thoughts. I am considering selling my PSR-600. I am looking at the Uniden BCD536HP with the DMR and Provoice upgrades. Currently my city is not using the provoice or dmr, but I do rarely travel to places that do. What are your thought on me switching? Should I wait until my city changes technology and then find the appropriate scanner? Thoughts?

troymail

Silent Key
Ah, you're going to get so many opinions.

Is there something your PSR-600 doesn't do that you want it to that is causing you to consider a new radio?

I will tell you that the last 3 scanners I bought from Uniden (396, 436, and 536) all had to be shipped back for defect repair (recalls). In contrast, I've never had to return any GRE or Whister radios for design defects.

I have both the ProVoice and DMR upgrade on my 436. The ProVoice option seems to work fairly well but there's no ProVoice in my local area and the number of ProVoice systems will slowly fade over time. I still can't get DMR to work very well on my 436. In contrast, my Whistlers are very active and hearing DMR. I find DMR programming on the Whistlers to be much easier and the programming software actually works and let's you programmed from the RRDB as well as manual programming.

Also keep in mind that there is a "base" cost for the x36 radios and then an additional $50+ for upgrades to each of ProVoice and DMR (the latter of which Uniden has warned/threatened in the last week will have 2 price increases between now and the end of the year). You can probably expect another dip into your pockets for a future NXDN upgrade. Upgrades for all 3 may cost you an additional $100-200 by the time they are all done.

If you stay with Whistler and purchase a TRX-1 or TRX-2 model, you'll get DMR and NXDN for the base price of the radio (no "per feature" asking for more money - at least none that I no of at this point).

Given the future fade of EDACS and ProVoice, if you haven't had a need for it yet, it's not likely you will in the future.

Assuming you've been happy with your PSR-600 and are considering your options. you'll want to look at the features of the Uniden models and the Whistler models and decide what you really want/need.

Good luck!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500/600 can't do P25 Phase II

What I do is keep adding additional scanners, rather than get rid of any.

While I am often listening to several scanners at once, when on the road it is different. My first choice is my PSR-310 because of the display. But as soon as I am somewhere digital, my PSR-500 takes the top slot. That works for now. But when I venture to someplace where P25 Phase II is in use, neither of these scanners do the job.

If you can't afford to have two (digital) scanners (or for some reason don't want to listen to more than one at a time), then "exchanging" your PSR-600 for one that can do P25 Phase II would be the way to go. I certainly wouldn't buy a new scanner that can't at least do Phase II (or several other protocols that have recently been added to the support list).

EyesofDeath

Premium Subscriber
Ah, you're going to get so many opinions.

Is there something your PSR-600 doesn't do that you want it to that is causing you to consider a new radio?

It is working fine for me right now. Im thinking that before long the main system i monitor will be going to Phase II. So that is one thing the -600 wont do.

a 2nd thing? I dont know. Maybe - 88.0000 107.9000 FMB 100 FM Broadcast, lol, i dont know why i would want to listen to those on my scanner.

Just looking for thoughts

troymail

Silent Key
What I do is keep adding additional scanners, rather than get rid of any.

Agree - I should have mentioned that.... the only scanner I ever parted with was a Bearcat BC235 to upgrade to a BC245. I still have every other scanner I've ever acquired (even I'm starting to think I have too many :D - my wife has always thought that 1 was too many).

I have two that are sitting in the corner but all of the other 11 or so are running nearly 24 hours a day....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Ex wanted me to get rid of a few of my scanners . I got rid of HER instead! :twisted: You can never have enough. 73, n9zas

trunker

It is working fine for me right now. Im thinking that before long the main system i monitor will be going to Phase II. So that is one thing the -600 wont do.

a 2nd thing? I dont know. Maybe - 88.0000 107.9000 FMB 100 FM Broadcast, lol, i dont know why i would want to listen to those on my scanner.

Just looking for thoughts
If it's working, it's probably worth more to you than what you could sell it for. Also, this generation only had the hit counts. You need another scanner.
If you want broadcast FM you may need a Uniden (but the 536 has no service search). If you want Phase II then the Uniden 996P2/536 (are you ready for dynamic memory?) and the Whistler 1095/98/TRX-2 will work. Only the 536 and Whistler models do DMR.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
I have both the 500 and 600,and I will never get rid of them,best scanners ever made IMO.
Same here! No doubt the best scanner I've owned, and I'll buy another when it dies. :). 73, n9zas

afdscan

I haven't found a scanner that I like better than the PSR-600. However, the entire county where I lived is going to a digital system in September. I have two PSR-600's that are in mint condition that I'm going to need to sell. I think I'm going to let them go for $150 each.

gewecke

Banned
I haven't found a scanner that I like better than the PSR-600. However, the entire county where I lived is going to a digital system in September. I have two PSR-600's that are in mint condition that I'm going to need to sell. I think I'm going to let them go for $150 each.
They are easily worth $200, even $250 if all the accesories are included and its in Mint condition. Maybe a little more if a software package & cable are included. Or keep them and use in your vehicle, another room at home, Even at your girlfriends house? :). 73, n9zas

afdscan

I have the original package, box and all the accessories for both PSR-600's. I also have a PSR-800 that I'm going to sell. I just want to move them all quickly. I'm thinking about putting them on ebay.

gewecke

Banned
I have the original package, box and all the accessories for both PSR-600's. I also have a PSR-800 that I'm going to sell. I just want to move them all quickly. I'm thinking about putting them on ebay.
NooOoOOOoo!! Put them HERE on the RR classifieds ok? Please? You're sitting on gold, but at least give sensible people a shot at them? :D. 73, n9zas

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hi all, I just wanted to see everyone's thoughts. I am considering selling my PSR-600. I am looking at the Uniden BCD536HP with the DMR and Provoice upgrades. Currently my city is not using the provoice or dmr, but I do rarely travel to places that do. What are your thought on me switching? Should I wait until my city changes technology and then find the appropriate scanner? Thoughts?

Do it! You know you want to... Embrace the DMR side!!! :evil:

bigcam406

ummmm,but the 600 is A digital scanner.depends what type of system your county is changing to in September.if its phase 2,then i see your point of selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.