• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Same ID on a trunking smartzone system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Seriously just out of curiosity because I have seen it happen by accident in the past,

If two radios are programmed with the same ID on a trunked smartzone system..what happens? Ive heard of "ghosting" where one radio ID will cause a second ID to transmit or turn to the channel that on the first ID's channel that is it on..

morganAL

A number of things. Radios can receive traffic from talkgroups they are not affiliated to, radios can miss calls because the system thinks the radio is on a different talkgroup or in multi-site it can also cause radios to miss traffic because it is sent to a different site. In the words of a Motorola Engineer when asked the same question: "Strange things happen."

SCPD

QRT
A legit subscriber unit with a duplicate Id not only will do above but the admin or dispatch will call the unit to come in and then maybe turn off and on his radio. If nobody can be raised or it appears to be a ghost radio illegally on they will either stun one or both and have both users present themself in person with radio to the shop.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It honestly depends on how the system is setup and how the multiple IDs are handled. On a single site , there most likely wouldn't be any downsides to multiple radios on the same ID as long as they remained on the same talk group (the watchdog may notice an excessive amount of affiliations for that radio and talk group but that's about it).

Get to multiple sites in which the same ID has affiliated and it's a different story. It can eat up capacity as well as present traffic and talk group errors/collisions. Most watchdogs will catch an ID affiliated to two sites simultaneously and notify a system admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

com501

Most systems when presented with conflicting affiliations will automatically kill both radios. Most larger systems do this if they are smart. All mine do.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
How Stunning!

Most systems when presented with conflicting affiliations will automatically kill both radios. Most larger systems do this if they are smart. All mine do.

Best Practice!!!!

Stops the hacks who are monkeying around without ADMIN knowledge or explicit permission.

I have a stunned radio.....can you help me or...

Off to the DEPOT...........or the trash bin

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If two radios are programmed with the same ID on a trunked smartzone system..what happens? Ive heard of "ghosting" where one radio ID will cause a second ID to transmit or turn to the channel that on the first ID's channel that is it on..

On an Astro 25 7.xx system, that is exactly what happens and this is why it is a DANGEROUS potential LIFE SAFETY issue when cloned radios register.

The clone can cause the radio to affiliate on another talkgroup than the user has selected and transmissions by the legitimate subscriber to occur where they are not intended.

You do the math and see why this is a problem.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
On an Astro 25 7.xx system, that is exactly what happens and this is why it is a DANGEROUS potential LIFE SAFETY issue when cloned radios register.

The clone can cause the radio to affiliate on another talkgroup than the user has selected and transmissions by the legitimate subscriber to occur where they are not intended.

You do the math and see why this is a problem.

The one time I saw this happen on my local system, the "older" subscriber unit was deemed by the controller to be invalid and basically went "out of range" (probably "no comms" more likely) - I presume the controller said "Oh suddenly you're over on this tower instead of that one? Okay I guess". The "older" radio was for all intents and purposes dead until it was powercycled; at that point, the other one, since it was now "oldest" with the original one asking for an affiliation, did the same.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

That in itself can be a serious life safety issue. The innocent (real) user just had their radio killed for no apparent (to the user) reason. I wouldn't want to be searching a building or fighting a fire when my system kills my radio.
I agree that dupe IDs is bad, but this seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Get the "real" user into the shop ASAP, reprog with a new ID and then kill the rouge.

slicerwizard

Sounds like a great way to leave a first responder with a dead radio. So for my next bank job, gather up all the radio IDs used by the local PD division and kill en masse as I enter the bank. Wouldn't take much to generate affiliation ISWs with a laptop/phone/whatever and a TX-capable SDR...

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like a great way to leave a first responder with a dead radio. So for my next bank job, gather up all the radio IDs used by the local PD division and kill en masse as I enter the bank. Wouldn't take much to generate affiliation ISWs with a laptop/phone/whatever and a TX-capable SDR...
Never thought about that!

com501

Encryption stops people from even trying. Look at the stats for the California State Prison system for evidence.

Project25_MASTR

This is why AES256 is used by smart people.

My limited knowledge of encryption on phase 1 is making me curious as to how that would work. My understanding has always been Radio ID and TG are sent in the clear even when secured. So obtaining IDs would not be difficult. Now what it takes to stun/inhibit while secure is definitely not in my repertoire.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
My limited knowledge of encryption on phase 1 is making me curious as to how that would work. My understanding has always been Radio ID and TG are sent in the clear even when secured. So obtaining IDs would not be difficult.

I think what com501 is saying is that if the traffic is encrypted, people won't bother with programming rogue radios because they still won't be able to listen.
(Vs the encryption creating a technical barrier).

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Something that popped into my mailbox this morning, about a request for more use of P25 in fire ground comms. I still don't agree, and it also deals with encrypting not only voice traffic but user ID's and the use of OTAR more as a viable use of encryption instead of having to reprogram each radio every time a new key is needed. I see that as happening very soon if the pirate radios don't stop affiliating.

http://www.project25.org/images/stories/ptig/IWCE_2015/IWCE_2015_P25_Foundations_Part_2_150308.pdf

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Nothing wrong with P25 and Fire ground. The issue in reliability is ensuring those in the fire ground know how to operate the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.