Tips for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I've been out of scanning for nearly 5 years, now looking to get back into it. Back in the days I had a bearcat 245xlt I think.

I live in clinton on, and would like to listen to opp, ambulance, air ambulance, as well as local fires. Can someone point me in the right direction for what /where to purchase. Would like a handheld, and looking to be as cost effective as possible.

Thanks in advance!!

mciupa

The 245XLT would have done you fine until you mentioned OPP. This means you will need a digital trunktracker.

I would look on Kijijii or e-Bay for a used BCD 396XT. They are nice handhelds. It may take some negotiation for a fair price.

If you are trying to be cost effective then that counts out anything new.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As Mike mentioned you will need a digital scanner for OPP. You could try scanning their repeater channels and you might get some activity that way. Clinton fire is still analog as far as I know (South Huron FD (Exeter, Dashwood, Huron Park) are MotoTRBO digital).

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks guys, bought a bcd396xt, just waiting for it to arrive, any tips to get me up and running quickly? I read a lot about freescan....is that the best and easiest to use? Do I need to download a frequency list somewhere to load into freescan?

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
Is there a frequency list file, or setup file that I can download here, and import it to my scanner with freescan?

mciupa

Freescan is definitely the way to go. I just checked sixspot software but I'm getting a DNS.

I hope someone can share a file with you.

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
freescan download

help. getting really frustrated.. cant find a link to download freescan.... all seemed fdown. someone posted a link on here by my computer keeps blocking it telling me its got a virus. help!

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
managed to get it downloaded from the google site... don't know why my system kept trying to block it...

thanks very much for everyones help

Status
Not open for further replies.