Pro-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
What is a Pro-2006 good for? I have a Pro-2006 with a new display in it and can't think of a use for it. I have 2 BCD536HP's, a BCD996XT and a BC780XLT (with a discriminator tap for DSDPlus) all running with proscan. If I sell it what do they go for? Or whats a good trade ?

Engine104

Member since 2005
Pro 2006's are still good for monitoring aircraft (mil and civilian) and conventional analog systems. Even if there no longer are any such systems in your area, there are still plenty of areas that do. It might be worth trying to sell it on here or eBay.

You may have seen my post on here about interference on UHF that's cropped up in my 2006. I've checked pricing on eBay and they seem to be going for around $100-$120 for clean, well-working units.

ecps92

Plenty. :D

Aircraft VHF
MilAir VHF/UHF
Marine, GMRS, FRS
Amateur
Anything Analog

As for $$ varies.
I've found them at Amateur Radio Flea markets and estate sales for under $50
What is a Pro-2006 good for? I have a Pro-2006 with a new display in it and can't think of a use for it. I have 2 BCD536HP's, a BCD996XT and a BC780XLT (with a discriminator tap for DSDPlus) all running with proscan. If I sell it what do they go for? Or whats a good trade ?

PACNWDude

As others have said, they are great for analog systems. Those prices given are also for ones not modified per the popular manual for that receiver.

If the Pro-2006 has an Optoelectronics computer control board in it, it may be worth more.
Being in an area with a lot of analog in use, my Pro-2006 is still used often. This is one of the best radios for analog systems that was ever made.

Even with no analog services, FM 88-108 MHz radio comes in well with these too. Could be a nice conversation piece radio for local stations. Mono speaker output is not the greatest though for music.

bigcam406

i had one years ago and im still kicking myself for getting rid of it.loved listening to the cell phone conversations with mine back in the 90's.great scanner.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Plenty. :D

Aircraft VHF
MilAir VHF/UHF
Marine, GMRS, FRS
Amateur
Anything Analog

Yep! It can also be used for reception of weather satellite images, although the signal would need to be fed into a computer or decoder to see the images.

I was never able to afford the 2006 when it was new, but I lucked out a couple of years ago and picked up an unmodified, barely-used 2006 with original box and manual on eBay for $35 plus shipping. It works great, and the EL panel is nice and bright. :cool:

Comp-100

Nice that many of these scanners/receivers are still in use.

I have a question. On mine even when it's squelched, there is quite low level white noise type of audio still coming from the internal speaker rather than being completely silent. Is this normal for this model?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

To add to Bill's list - you probably already know this, but the 2006 can also have a discriminator tap added, giving you the ability to run programs like UniTrunker, DSD (and it's cousin, DSD+), AIS (if you are near a major waterway) and many others.

I used it's older cousin the 2004 on ACARSD (no tap needed, of course) and it worked just fine.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I have one still in storage. Haven't been turned on in a looong time and I have it discriminator tapped. The last time I powered it up the EL display was starting to dim. Thanks for bringing this up since I almost forgot I had one. Time to bring it out of storage and plug it in (hopefully it still works) for the analog stuff. I will admit since the statue of limitations has run out, did the diode cut to listen to you know what. Only occasionally though, since it was mainly used for LE/Fire freqs. For it's time I think was the best scanner out there. Think I bought mine in 1993 or so, man over 20 years ago. I was working two jobs at the time and saved enough to buy one and it wasn't cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.