BCD436HP/BCD536HP: DMR Programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Ok, folks. I guess this DMR stuff is not as easy as I thought. I have listings in Radioreference that gives me all the pertinent info concerning a particular channel, color, slot, TG. Now how do put this into ARC536 and/or directly into the radio, for that matter. The manual is extremely deficient in explaining this! As far as I can see, all I can do is select "DMR" in ARC and that's it! Just so you know what I'm looking at, I'm trying to program Newcastle Police, Newcastle, Oklahoma, McClain Co., on 152.1800 and not having any luck. Radioreference shows CC 4, TG 24279 and SL 1. How do I get this into the radio!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
I think you need to add the local DMR frequencies by zip and agree, you have to have the DMR in sentinel. I bought this radio for ease of use. I am Plug and play so that would be great. I know whistler is easy to use. Put your zip in, select the radio type, police, fire, public works etc and it pulls DMR and everything else.

I know its new but just need it for us people that don't have a clue how to program this stuff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've been interested in scanners and radio communications for 40 years. The DMR is a whole new ball game for me too with the different types such as Capacity and Connect.

I'm pretty sure I can learn this stuff, but wouldn't mind seeing a little more information/education stuff. I imagine it is there, just can't find it.

I know Upman has made some very good Youtube videos in the past along with others. I think some DMR related videos with respect to Uniden scanners would be very welcome. Certainly by me and perhaps a few others who may be a little too shy to ask.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've been interested in scanners and radio communications for 40 years. The DMR is a whole new ball game for me too with the different types such as Capacity and Connect.

I'm pretty sure I can learn this stuff, but wouldn't mind seeing a little more information/education stuff. I imagine it is there, just can't find it.

I know Upman has made some very good Youtube videos in the past along with others. I think some DMR related videos with respect to Uniden scanners would be very welcome. Certainly by me and perhaps a few others who may be a little too shy to ask.

Hear, hear!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well I won't argue that I'm old and dense. However most of the things posted are like upper level algebra and I'm hoping for a basic arithmetic class. Fortunately I can get by with downloading the "needed stuff", but I'm struggling with what it all means, such as color codes and the like.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I agree. The manual for the radio is written for people who already have a clue. This radio is way more complicated than the RadioShack radios it replaced. It would be a shame if I never use many of the features of this radio simply because I don't understand what they do!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Well I won't argue that I'm old and dense. However most of the things posted are like upper level algebra and I'm hoping for a basic arithmetic class. Fortunately I can get by with downloading the "needed stuff", but I'm struggling with what it all means, such as color codes and the like.

Colour codes are similar in function to what a NAC does on P25. They are a method to filter signals, when you can hear more than one DMR repeater on the same frequency. I believe there are 16 colour codes.

Group Calls, aka, Talkgroups are the same as what you find on trunk systems. Talkgroups can also be used on conventional DMR, to separate multiple users on one repeater.

Groupcalls can also be used on simplex as well.

DMR also has provisions for individual calls, radio to radio.

DMR also has provisions for SMS like messaging, and there are also developers that have written software to allow the GPS units found in Hytera and Motorola radios send data and have it plotted on maps.

Slots are Time Slot 1 and Time Slot 2(TS1&TS2 or TS0&TS1). A single repeater can hold 2 voice calls at the same time. This is accomplished by the subscribers(mobile and portable radios) rapidly keying and un-keying. When user 'a' is transmitting, user 'b' is not. When user 'b' is transmitting, user 'a' is not ect. This occurs very rapidly, approximately every 30ms(I think it is 30ms, not 100% sure on the actual time) the radio will key then un-key, with the other user keying on the 30ms the first user is not transmitting. This is called Time Division, Multiple Access. P25 phase 2 radios operate in a similar fashion.

Hopefully this helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Tramagod

So how about posting something helpful instead of a condescending comment. The man is asking for help,if you can't provide it, read the post and move on.

daveturner80

I just upgraded to DMR and was wondering if anyone can upload a sample file to show us how to program it into Sentinel?
I was on a site that allowed you to copy their file and import it into the scanner but all I am getting is nothing to scan. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So how about posting something helpful instead of a condescending comment. The man is asking for help,if you can't provide it, read the post and move on.

He said he did not understand what colour codes meant... I gave him a pretty simple explanation of what the different components of DMR mean. How about you go back to insulting to those that are trying to help you.

Voyager

I just upgraded to DMR and was wondering if anyone can upload a sample file to show us how to program it into Sentinel?
I was on a site that allowed you to copy their file and import it into the scanner but all I am getting is nothing to scan. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Make sure the Service Type assigned is enabled. It defaults to Custom 1.

Also make sure DOWNLOAD and MONITOR are set to ON for your FL and that any assigned Quick Keys are enabled.

The above represents about 90% of the issues people have (maybe more).

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Colour codes are similar in function to what a NAC does on P25. They are a method to filter signals, when you can hear more than one DMR repeater on the same frequency. I believe there are 16 colour codes.

Group Calls, aka, Talkgroups are the same as what you find on trunk systems. Talkgroups can also be used on conventional DMR, to separate multiple users on one repeater.

Groupcalls can also be used on simplex as well.

DMR also has provisions for individual calls, radio to radio.

DMR also has provisions for SMS like messaging, and there are also developers that have written software to allow the GPS units found in Hytera and Motorola radios send data and have it plotted on maps.

Slots are Time Slot 1 and Time Slot 2(TS1&TS2 or TS0&TS1). A single repeater can hold 2 voice calls at the same time. This is accomplished by the subscribers(mobile and portable radios) rapidly keying and un-keying. When user 'a' is transmitting, user 'b' is not. When user 'b' is transmitting, user 'a' is not ect. This occurs very rapidly, approximately every 30ms(I think it is 30ms, not 100% sure on the actual time) the radio will key then un-key, with the other user keying on the 30ms the first user is not transmitting. This is called Time Division, Multiple Access. P25 phase 2 radios operate in a similar fashion.

Hopefully this helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you very much. This explains a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.