• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Different Licensee's Same Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I've noticed that in my area, Two different Licensee's have the same frequency. Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital (WYZ278) and San Angelo Emergency Corps (WNWG781) are licensed with the same frequency of 155.2800MHz. I scan it all the time but don't every hear anything. My question is, how can two different licensee's have the same frequency?

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I believe that particular frequency was or is used for ambulance to hospital comms so both facilities might use it at different times depending on which one an ambulance may be headed to. If you don't ever hear anything on it and you feel you are close enough to either facility that your should hear it then chances are your region is using the UHF MED frequencies or, like in Maryland, they have moved to regional trunked systems serving the various jurisdictions.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I've noticed that in my area, Two different Licensee's have the same frequency. Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital (WYZ278) and San Angelo Emergency Corps (WNWG781) are licensed with the same frequency of 155.2800MHz. I scan it all the time but don't every hear anything. My question is, how can two different licensee's have the same frequency?

Probably an ambulance to hospital frequency. 155.280 was one of the channels used all over country for that. Others were 155.340, 155.400, & 155.295. It was as originally called the HEAR system. It was not uncommon for every ambulance service and hospital in a very wide area to have licenses on all of those frequencies.

Those are probably old licenses, perhaps still valid, from a time when those frequencies were used for that regularly in that area.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My question is, how can two different licensee's have the same frequency?
From an "Industry Discussion" point of view it is not uncommon for one frequency to be licensed to several users especially in the business bands. PL/DPL tones are used to silence the other user's transmissions.

This can be an issue sometimes if the other user has a strong signal as it can block some users from receiving their own transmissions.

However in your case the other posts are correct as multiple hospitals and EMS agencies used the same frequencies to contact the hospitals.

troymail

Silent Key
There is tons of frequency reuse in my area - at least on the business bands. This became apparent when starting to look at DMR. The thinking is probably that the low power nature of some of the users makes it ok. However, while some signals are "small footprint" (i.e. don't go much past the intended facility or complex), some licensees in my area appear to have much stronger signals than one might expect.

As has been mentioned, separation is mainly done through CTCSS and in the DMR case, color codes. It also appears that many in my area - digital anyway - also try to make sure that the radio ID ranges and talkgroup IDs assigned are very obviously different.

Radioguy37

Here in Illinois that frequency is for Hospital to Hospital, maybe thats why you never here anything. Back in the HEAR days the hospital had a rotary dial on their remote and they could dial a specific number for a specific hospital and they could talk direct. Of course this is in the pre-cellular days. It is still in the hospital radios in IL but i doubt, even in a disaster anybody would know to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.