Computer Connection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

familycache

Premium Subscriber
BCD996T with both cables (Mini USB to USB; Serial to USB)
New Dell Laptop Computer: No Serial ports (just HDMI; USB 3; two USB 2 ports; Ethernet port)

How can I hook my BCD996T to my computer in order to use the scanner software?
What are my options?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I think one of the USB ports on your computer will work, did you tyr any of them????????????????????

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are using Windows 10, I'd confirm that any USB-Serial Adapter has the newer HXD versus older HXA chipset. The HXA chipset cables started to be an issue with Windows 8 (being recognized by the OS without being a pain).

The Uniden manual mentions use of the front port for programming and the rear port for GPS connection, so the front port is what you'd use for programming. (There is a way of cloning one scanner to another using front port/rear port connection.)

familycache

Premium Subscriber
I have the USB-1 cable that came with the scanner so I don't need to purchase another.

I downloaded the driver software (PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.6.0) but it was unable to install. It displayed the message:

"The following error occurred on the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SER94c40.rra'
Access is denied.
(0x5)"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just like USB/Serial adapters, USB-1 cables also have chipsets. If your USB-1 cable is the older model, it will have the HXA chipset.

I believe Prolific has a utility to determine which chipset a cable has, though its been a while since I saw it on the 'net.

You also may need to remove the installed driver and re-download/install. I know there can be a problem if the cable is connected prior to installing the driver and have to go through the remove/re-install process.

familycache

Premium Subscriber
...You also may need to remove the installed driver and re-download/install. I know there can be a problem if the cable is connected prior to installing the driver and have to go through the remove/re-install process.

Any clue on how I remove the old driver?

I'm not sure of it's name or it's location. If I knew it's name I would be able to do a search on the computer to locate it. Bummer!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a high tech guy on Windows, usually doing something the long way.

That said, I clicked the Windows icon in the lower left corner to get to the search area. I entered "Device Manager". When that window opened, I looked for the connection with the cable or port. I double clicked it and another Window opened. Next I clicked the Driver tab on that window and went to Uninstall.

familycache

Premium Subscriber
Well..... I just got off the phone with Uniden and they said that Uniden doesn't have a driver that will work with the newer Windows 10 operating system. I find that hard to comprehend since I've always believed them to be on top of things. I even got the tech lady to repeat what she said to make sure both I and her were understanding and speaking of the same thing. She said that I either needed an older computer or a new USB-1 cable. I told her that nothing was wrong with the USB-1 cable nor the scanner and that I purchased both from them. "Send 'em in and let us check 'em out" was all she could offer!

A mere mortal would drive down to Texas and beg UPMan himself to help me out or just point me in the right direction... But I Won't because I wouldn't want him to get as frustrated as I am... because he doesn't have any hair left to pull out! :)

Woe is Me!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The latest Prolific driver works fine with Windows 10. You do need the current version of the USB-1 (current is relative...everything for the past 3 years or so are compatible).

familycache

Premium Subscriber
Thank You!

The latest Prolific driver works fine with Windows 10. You do need the current version of the USB-1 (current is relative...everything for the past 3 years or so are compatible).

Bless You! That I can understand... I think :) The USB-1 I have was purchased when I purchased the 996T, so it apparently is an "Oldie" (1.0). I'll order another from you guys and hopefully it be a 1.1 or higher.

Thanks for the insight, maybe this will help someone else also with older equipment.

D

darunimal

or you can try a much older driver from 2008-10 in compatability mode, I think 3.0.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It all boils down to that chipset in the cable. The cable you have has the HXA chipset. The latest version that Upman referred to has the HXD (newer) chipset.

I suggest that unless you get it directly from Uniden, contact the vendor and confirm the cable you buy has that HXD chipset. (There could be some old/HXA cables in stock they might try sending you). You might want to stick with someone who moves a lot of these, avoiding eBay type places.

The going price for the USB-1 cable is about $29.95. If you still have the original programming cable with the RS232 connector, you could also use a USB to Serial Adapter, which is about half the cost. I use the https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8

Whatever direction you go, be sure to download and install the driver before first connecting the cable.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I use version 3.2.0.0 driver but everytime Windows 10 takes an update it changes it to the new driver which won't work so always have to keep the older driver handy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

familycache

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.